This train sim is so much better than Trainz...

I wonder what Surveryor is like on that thing, which lever do you use to lay track? Which switch do you use to configure a signal? Which button do use to add a train to the track and drive it past the signal to test the configuration? The list is almost endless...

WileeCoyote:D

I believe its just cab ride video that is played in accordance to the speed of travel. Its probably a bit more advanced than that though, was there a video with that article that i absent mindedly missed? All i see is that one tiny screenshot, I was lucky enough to be able to drive the CSX training simulator a few years back, and i must say its quite a different experience, the graphics wernt all that great (its was modeled not video) but having that full control stand was awesome! I dont think personal train simming will reach that level, but its always fun to dream.

@applegathc: What does RailSim have to do with this thread?
Really this " TRS IZ THE BEST SIM EVEER, ALLL OTHER SIMS SUXZS!!!!!1111" attitude is really quite immature, all current sims have their strengths and weaknesses, and TRS is certainly not the best.....

There has always been a debate about whether using live video feed as opposed to a "real" game engine for a train sim has any advantage. I think in the early days it was an easy get out for the bedroom based coders for whom producing a graphics engine was too much and certainly an improvement on the old Simudrive type text display on the screen.

The Cab View Driver in the UK was unfortunately a rather poor example of the genre. The Railscene videos used were not exactly top (broadcast) quality and that waving around as the train passed a depot or other feature destroyed the idea of a driver focusing on the route ahead.

There are other inherent disadvantages - you need to use an overlay for signal aspects as these will always be the same on the video. Time of day and weather will always be the same. On multi-track routes you will never get any deviation from the course over which the route was filmed. No external views.

A Japanese company Ongakukan recently released a couple of train sims for the PS3 using high quality HD video. This also included footage of the trains taken lineside and from a helicopter. Much improved over CVD but still with the inherent disadvantage of video clip based games.

You woudn't expect to buy a flight sim or a golf game that relied on video to produce the graphics so while it was an innovative idea back in 1998, it's no substitute for a graphics engine and World Editor in which you can build a route without having to go out and film it!

alright, get the flamethrowers out again! wipe out all other train simulators! Trainz rules!
Sorry, but I own both how about you people play that one instead of so NARROW MINDED AND HOT HEADED!!! You people think that Trainz is the only god one?:hehe: Right, I don't buy it, get a life try it before you hate it!

I find it strange that you attack Iced, when you guys have so much in common.

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

In my opinion Trainz is defiantly the best out there.

Surveyor is the easiest route creator out there, almost all other games may not even have one because it is so user-unfriendly.

Yes, Trainz can make people mad at times, but really, aside from the madness, Trainz is a pretty good game, right?

I can't fathom why some immature players only think Trainz is the best simulator, simply because it is the easiest to use. If MSTS and Rail Simulator proved to be easier to create for, I think many people would have already switched over.

Who's to say we have to pick though? Honestly, the only time you should have to decide which Sim to play is if your hard drive space is so limited, one would not fit over the other. (And in that case, get a new computer or free up some damn space.)

Honestly, the "Trainz rox railsim sux" thing has to end, and it has to end NOW.

I rarely post on this forum; and it is unfortunate that when I do, I must be explaining a situation to children.

Thanks,
Dillon

PS: It's unfortunate that a handful of immature people, or 'noobs' as many are calling them, have to plug up the last bit of intelligence in the train simulating world.

Come on, people. We need to end things like this:

"alright, get the flamethrowers out again! wipe out all other train simulators! Trainz rules!"

"I don't want to come out of my trainz hole.............HOW DO YOU WORK IT IN RAILSIM?????"

It's a shame no one calls in the grammar police, too.

Last edited:
Amen Mutts. I am actually starting to like KRS now that I gave it a second chance, and got it to run better. I am still going to be running TRS because, like you said, there is no reason to only have one besides hard drive space.

Amen Dillon! I might go and dust off MSTS to get some Train Sim enjoyment again. I regret everything I've said on this thread and a few other rude posts I have made. My apologies to all the community members.

Iced, guy...

There is nothing to be sorry about. Sometimes, though, you and some of the... Well, "other" members, need to reread what you post. I mean, some of it is just, well, illegible. Though, I will say, some members in the community can be a little harsh at times. I think it is mostly justifiable though.

I can't say I'm fond of the "noobs" at this forum, and with that being said, is probably why I don't post here often.

*Waits for my post to be deleted for "flaming" even though I'm completely right in saying so.*

Back