Run 8 - What's all the fuss about?

I agree that its very closed off and that's what kills Run8 for me. But once you try the MP, you realize how well and smoothly it works and it becomes very fun.

Here is an older video of two trains passing one another. At one point one train flash's, that's because we had a network issue and the guy driving it had to reclaim the train. But that's a in game bug that has been worked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0pZkTnWT4

The content reminds me of the old photo-textured paintshed rolling stock that I used to run on Trainz 06'.
I'll give them props for trying to make a train simulator, but it just doesn't compare to the best!

I took a look at the site, reading it put me to sleep. Way too complicated and involved for me. I am not interested in multi player either.

Yeah, that video just highlights the issues. The train flashing is bad enough already, but did anybody else spot the driver of the UP loco's legs protruding out of the side of the cab? And the mountain in the background that has not rendered properly? Yeah, I get that it's more of a traditional simulator, more about what you do than what you see, but little errors like that bug me no end. It may gain popularity for its operational realism and lack of DRM, but I don't think it can compare to Trainz and Railworks.
To put it another way, if Trainz is the Conservatives and Railworks is Labour, Run 8 would be UKIP! Only British members will get this comparison...

keep-calm-and-bah-humbug-4.png

I've had a look at Run8 with its multiplayer gig. It's actually a 'toy', a simple simulator with a few 'basic' and not very attractive, routes. However it is sophisticated enough, just to keep the kids happy. People in a group could have fun, until they get bored.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the hundreds of thousands of assets that Trainz has, nor does it provide any base, where you could maybe design your own layout or route. It appears that you would always have your hand in your pocket every time a new route or a loco was released. The landscaping needs a good designer, and,... not all trains have to run in deserts.

By comparison Trainz is unique, being way out on its own. Not only a simulator like all the others, but a workable hobby where the average guy or girl can create something they can be proud of, and have fun at the same time.

Run8 is for the kids, Trainz is for people (and kids) who appreciate the whole concept of running trains. I know where I'll be staying.

Cheers,
Roy3b3

A vary good friend of mine has this, and has been trying to get me to buy it and play online with him and his club for some time now. Let me have a go for about an our, he's sold. But it's reminded me of to munch of Microsoft Train. Liked the detailed engine working, train setup. But there no route building. Seems to be vary set for today trains. Not what I like to run, or model . And like said before, all payware. And the selection of whats available isn't great, and the routes aren't one that hold munch interest for me. But I'm keeping an eye on it's future.

Matt

Yeah, that video just highlights the issues. The train flashing is bad enough already, but did anybody else spot the driver of the UP loco's legs protruding out of the side of the cab? And the mountain in the background that has not rendered properly? Yeah, I get that it's more of a traditional simulator, more about what you do than what you see, but little errors like that bug me no end. It may gain popularity for its operational realism and lack of DRM, but I don't think it can compare to Trainz and Railworks.
To put it another way, if Trainz is the Conservatives and Railworks is Labour, Run 8 would be UKIP! Only British members will get this comparison...

Ok, let me clear up a few more misconceptions of Run8.

The video was taken on my old graphics card, so I had the draw range set lower. This also was due to the transition scenery. Run8 draws about 4 tiles out in all directions. 1 Run8 Tile is roughly 4 Trainz tiles. After that Run8 loads distant terrain with is lower poly to reduce load. At the time I had my draw distance for the tiles set to 2, and the distant terrain was something like 2500. So I would get weird things like that. But with a better card, and some updates to Run8and no i hardly ever notice this. Hardly as in 98% of the time, I never see it. Rarely I see it in a few areas.

As for the train flash. The train was a free agent train. When a player claims a train it has a momentary refresh on the server. This used to cause the trains to flash. Notice the past tense of "use" as in this once was a thing but no longer is. Only time you notice trains flashing any more is if there is a serous network issue. Such a a really high ping.

And as for the crew member, that is because he moved in the cab. Unlike Trainz where most locomotives have fixed driver figures, Run8 has a avatar that is you. Where ever your camera is there is an crew member, much like in a first person game. Unless in flying mode. If you "walk" your crew member to the right your legs can sometimes protrude from the cab. Once again though, his is something you see once in a great while. Mostly when someone is "leaning" out the window to look back. (there is no lean function, just a walk to the right and look back.)

In other reply's, there are currently two other routes out for Run8 that are not in the dessert. In total there are 6 routes which can be ran. Three of which can be merged into one larger railroad, or run interdependently. Mojave, Cajon, Needles, Barstow/Yermo, CSX A-Line, Selkierk Yard*.

Yes there is a painful lack of user content, but that's not all ways a bad thing. Look at how cluttered with garbage the DLS has gotten. Yes Run8 needs some sort of user tools, but they also need some level on quality control. How many routes are on the DLS that are things like "ultra mega crash 2014" or "super duper city land?" Or "Ultra mega locomotive reskin 5000?" Yes I get people put time and effort into them, but some people might look at it and go "This assets is garbage and thus the whole game is." (Yes, there are people who will judge a book by it cover. Just like many of the comments here saying Run8 looks like MSTS so they wont buy it.)

All the comments about not interested in Multiplayer, once you've seen how well it can be done in Run8, you'd change your mind.

I agree, the lack of papal kinda suck's. But nothing wrong with using a debit card if you know what you are doing.

I'm not trying to 100% defend Run8 as it has it flaws, I am just trying to clear up a lot of the misconceptions people have. Yes, I play Trainz and yes I play Run8. Yes I own Railworks and I scowl at it every day thinking of what a waste it is. I think Trainz and Run8 have their merits. When I want to run trains with people and play dispatcher, I go to Run8. If I want to build routes, I go with Trainz. When I want to know what I did wrong with a ton of my money, I go to Railworks.

I like Run 8 but it is limited. Not being interested in Multiplayer I'm limited to driving my own train or switching to another consist, there's no moving AI traffic anywhere other than the ubiquitous Plod cars everywhere on the roads! In truth, other than the provision of the Despatcher Board (which is not interlocked, incidentally) it is not unlike Trainz where you have to scratch your head as to what points you need to throw. No timetable, no work orders, very much free play.

Graphics, obviously a trade off in order to get the physics implementation. The latter undoubtedly the best part of this particular product and I guess the main reason why people buy it. I found driving at night offsets the rather bare scenery and basic appearance of the track, the diurnal effects if you catch a dawn or dusk over the desert are pretty good too.

Lack of any sort of external SDK or sandbox for anyone who wants to try making their own route is inconvenient, but seems a policy decision of the developer (who also has some fairly quirky mannerisms towards customer's). What this has achieved though is the ability to manage production of their own content, such that you have three western USA routes (Needles, Tehachapi and Cajon) which merge seamlessly into one mega route.

Run 8 also lacks heritage traction - first gen diesels, Alco's or even steam but hopefully that will come.

In conclusion, a worthwhile addition to your train sim collection but, like World of Subways, will never take the place of one or more of the "big three".

I also like Run8.

It is made quite clear that Run8 has been developed as a multiplayer platform. It has succeeded at this (for the most part). As a single player platform it is interesting but becomes boring after a while. Then again most sims can become boring and stale.

Multiplayer is where this sim shines. There are a lot of groups about, both private and public. Some you need to join while others you can just log onto. Yes there are a lot of younger people out there, especially on the public servers, but there are many groups who restrict the type of members by age, experience, ect. There are groups who run prototypically, semi prototypically, or just the way that suits them. Anything is possible.

Although the graphics are not as polished as in Trainz or Railworks they are acceptable. Best thing is you don't need the latest computer gear to enjoy (although it helps make it look more acceptable).

As for content (or lack there of) I do not have a problem with that. By restricting the making of content (and there are some people who have made content) everyone is on the same page when joining a multiplayer server.
If you don't want to buy payware locomotives or rolling stock there are place holders created where these would appear. The latest don't look all that great but I have the payware versions so no problem for me.
The routes are all $40 US. Everyone needs Mojave route as this has the underlying software in it. Then it is up to you as to whether or not you get the other routes. If you join a multiplayer server and you do not have all the routes you will be restricted to running on the routes that you own.

I have joined a group and have great fun running together. You can be a mainline engineer. become part of a yard crew, do switching, be a conductor, dispatcher, whatever floats your boat. Most people are very helpful if you are new or have problems (although I have personally found there are very few issues running the sim).

In conclusion this SIM may not be for everybody. If you like to run on your own you will be disappointed. If you like making your own content then stick with what you have.
If you enjoy running with others then give it a go. I have made many online friends. I still enjoy Trainz but also enjoy Run8. I get different things from each sim.

All the best, Andrew.

Last edited:
By now it has been well established that they are different and cater to a different audience. Is is possible to leave at that?

Time to close this fourm I don't care about this game anymore

;) Amazing respectful point of view, dear trainzer! Anyway, you know, there's a big problem here: If you don't care about a human being, do you close her/him down too?

Please, guy, why don't you try to read the rest of interesting threads over the place? Also, I can advise you to read a good book, i.e. "The Girl On The Train".

Take care, dear.

The wide open side of modding Alberte :wave:

Back