Show me the build specs for a desktop PC that

JonMyrlennBailey

consistently gives 60 FPS even when trains are running full speed in line-side camera view, all games settings are maxed out (including anti-aliasing and draw distance) and there is a high density of 3D scenery on the route like 2,000 combined static cars, people, animals, aircraft and trucks within a 5,000 foot radius.
5,000 feet is max draw for TS12.

For Trainz editions I have TS12 boxed, and T:ANE SP1 boxed in mind. My PC should even give that kind of performance
in TMR2017 should I ever decide to venture into it.

I also have a Microsoft flight sim and I play no "shoot-em-up" arcade games of any kind.

It is all about getting the best sound (surround sound 5.1), the least stutter and the best graphics detail:
60 FPS is everything in the gaming world. It is equivalent to "horsepower" in the muscle car world.

Will Intel i5 latest generation suffice or is top-end Trainz performance dependent upon something like an i7?

Will overclocking be a must to get the very best out of Trainz?

I got a quote for a new "gaming PC" from a local computer dealer. He said the advantage of a custom built PC from his shop
is a two-year warranty from the shop and technical support.

He proposed a custom-shop-built machine to me (about $1,200 OTD) that is based on the latest generation of i5 that he
"claims" would easily give 60 FPS on any game out there and still might be "overkill"
for any train simulator. I told him its always better to have too much hardware
gumption than not enough.

He said this proposed rig would be future-proof.

Plain black tower case, no liquid cooling and nothing flashy. Hollywood light shows have no bearing as to whether
my red/gray EssPee loco jitters on the screen or not. I want to see trains rolling along with life-like smoothness and not a light show.
I want to invest my money in the best possible on-screen sim performance.

He said this machine would be only air-cooled and not overclocked.
It would have a 650 watt power supply and a slick new form-factor SS hard drive right on the mobo.

I would hate to spend a lot of money with disappointing results.

I don't want to be handicapped by hardware or OS in anyway.

Perhaps any given Trainz program ever made can even be handicapped by virtue of
software design. But I don't want frame rate or audio performance to suffer
solely on account of the guts (hardware) under the hood (CPU tower case).

I don't want to spend money on a hardware boondoggle also.

In other words, for an extra $1,200 in a new PC investment, my TS12 trains better roll along with no stutter
even through a town with 1,000 3D static automobiles parked nearby.

Last edited:
He proposed a custom-shop-built machine to me (about $1,200 OTD) that is based on the latest generation of i5 that he
"claims" would easily give 60 FPS on any game out there and still might be "overkill"
for any train simulator.

If you won't take the advice of someone who does it for a living and is prepared to back his claims with a warranty and technical support, why should anything said here be of any interest to you?

Well, the dealer admits that he does NOT know anything about Trainz or trains sims in general. He suggested that I get the "system requirements" from N3V Games. I looked at the Simulator Central site and only see 'minimum' requirements and NOT RECOMMENDED requirements as I was hoping for.

I don't know what N3V RECOMMENDS for top-end performance. Minimum requirements does not guarantee a solid 60 FPS. It only guarantees the game will install and even run at all. On my current Windows 7 64-bit desktop, I built myself seven years ago, with about 1,000 dollars in off-the-shelf parts, I get only about 5 FPS running a TS12 train through a town heavily-laden with 3D scenery. The anti-aliasing is still set at the lowest setting while draw distance, texture and scenery detail is maxed out. Tree detail is set on the second best setting. Severe stuttering, interruptions in sound, and program timing out for several seconds is a common happening. It is unacceptable to me. Is this strictly a hardware issue or can TS12 just not handle high scenery density?

Can robust hardware get TS12 past the scenery density bottleneck?

My TS12 barely runs through through dense scenery but only as good and smoothly as a very rusty gate swings.

Very rusty performance. Like a V8 Cadillac not hitting on all eight.

It is like pushing a lawn mower through tall wet grass. Stalls a lot.

TS12, at least on my older desktop, runs much smoother. albeit still not entirely stutter-free, in low-density areas of the map as open flat desert.

I can't see the point in even buying a new PC in the first place if I should still get annoying stutter in high-density route areas.

What kind of FPS should I expect from a new $1,200 purpose-built machine while driving under similar circumstances?

I want expert hardware advice from seasoned Trainzers here.

The dealer won't guarantee my money back if I am not satisfied. I have no try-before-I-buy option
to "test drive" a gaming PC before plunking dollars down.

This can be a substantial financial risk.

Last edited:
Well, the dealer admits that he does NOT know anything about Trainz or trains sims in general. He suggested that I get the "system requirements" from N3V Games. I looked at the Simulator Central site and only see 'minimum' requirements and NOT RECOMMENDED requirements as I was hoping for.

So after all the irrelevant waffle is removed, you question really is "What are the recommended system specifications for T:ANE".

See: https://support.trainzportal.com/in...t-are-the-specifications-for-trainz-a-new-era

actually, RECOMMENDED for TMR2017...always better to be ahead of the game, be future-proof

I figure if it is good enough for TMR2017, it will be more than good enough for TANE or TS12.

actually, RECOMMENDED for TMR2017...always better to be ahead of the game, be future-proof

I figure if it is good enough for TMR2017, it will be more than good enough for TANE or TS12.

I believe the req's for T:ANE and TMR17 are about the same, since they are very similar games. Here are the recommended specs for T:ANE...

• Processor: Intel i5 3330/AMD FX 8350 or better, Quad physical core, 64 bit, 2.3Ghz or better.
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM.
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660 or better/ AMD HD 6950 or better.
  • DirectX: Version 11.
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection.
  • Storage: 30 GB available space.

If you're looking for "futureproof", you may want the new Intel i7-7700K or the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X. You'll notice much better performance with Ryzen, according to benchmarks online, but the 7700K will be much, much easier to get hold of, until Ryzen's "new" wears off.

Matt

Last edited:

TMR17 is essentially just TANE with different content and new packaging...business as usual for N3V then.
As for you, you were shown the recommended specifications. Then rebuke that saying you want to be "future proof"*, but when a professional recommends you a top end rig you crap all over it. I suggest sticking to consoles or mobile instead, pfft.

*You can't future proof technology. It's just a nicer way of saying I want to spend 10x as much money for performance that'll be obsolete in 10 years. I bought a 2U server to build an NAS for $200 today - it was $6000 in 2006. So if you're complaining over $1200...futureproofing as a concept sure as hell isn't for you.

Last edited:
GTX 1080 prices just came down.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU just came out, lower than Intel prices for the same performance, basically. Newer mature drivers will only make 'em better as time progresses.
16 GB of DDR4 @2333/2666 Mhz or higher, whichever the motherboard/CPU combo supports.
Samsung 960 Pro or newer M.2 version (must be Pro) and it comes in 2TB versions.

If that doesn't work enough, then you could try overclocking components.

As far as the recommended specs go for Tane
I would see that as the minimum spec if I were building another PC at the moment for Trainz
I think I'm on my 4th rebuild/upgrade since I started in 2004
The only thing in my custom built PC now that was there in the last 2-3yrs ago are some HDD's
When my MOBO failed last march it was $1200 for CPU/MOBO/RAM as the MOBO was outdated & couldn't get
a replacement to suit he cpu/ram so I had to replace the lot

Future proof is only as good as the current technology or the
new specs for the next game release

OK, then I think the dealer's i5 centered rig for a dozen C notes will about cut it for TANE-grade software.

It surely should be nobody's weak sister as much as running this old-fashioned Jet-based program called TS12 is concerned.

I still have many Surveyor man-hours to go in etching in details, trainloads of 3D scenery, on my favorite Mojave Sub route. I have spent a couple thousand man-hours modding it since Sept. 2015 already. All this hard work will justify a "Porsche 911 Twin Turbo", if not a "Ferrari", of a gaming rig to run it once I get in the cab to drive this modded route masterpiece of mine. I am spending much time building up the route as I save money for a new game rig.

I like the number FIVE; as in Intel Inside Core i5, anyhow. "Seven", as in i7, might strain my bank account way too much. I have seen i5 7th generation on amazon dot com for only about $200.

Last edited:
Well, I just maxed out the TANE settings for my I7 -4770 3.40GHZ, 16GB RAM and Gigabyte GTX780Ti and in TANE SP2 I was getting around 19FPS. My PC is a few years old.

When I turned the settings down to a "reasonable" figure, I get 100+ fps (no vsync) and it looks just fine. Actually, it looks great. I don't care that the mountain in the background doesn't have any trees or bushes on it. You probably wouldn't see it in real life anyway.

If you really want 60FPS with everything maxed out then you probably need to spend around $11,000 for an Alienware PC with a couple of high end video cards. Your I5 will probably be fine providing you turn the settings down.

I really should drag out my copy of Flight Sim and the joystick. I think I last ran it back in the XP days.

I did not ever realize Trainz gobbled hardware resources that badly! I can get 19 FPS in my Flight Sim with scenery/weather settings on low on my current non-gaming machine and the planes actually look like they are moving rather smoothly. So, I might get 19 FPS with TS12 maxed out on a new i5 box?

TANE performance is GPU dependant. With end user created content some items will always be extremely demanding.

A GTX1060 is about the base, but the GTX 1080 has just come down in price. So I'd go with a GTX1080 that will define your case from its size.

TANE on a GTX 1060 or better will give you better frame rates than TS12.

The CPU isn't that important for TANE. What might be worth looking at is replacing the GPU on your current system with a GTX1080. You may need a new case but it would be cheaper than giving $100 to Microsoft for a new Win 10 license.

Cheerio John

In other words, for an extra $1,200 in a new PC investment, my TS12 trains better roll along with no stutter
even through a town with 1,000 3D static automobiles parked nearby.

So, because video speaks, feast your eyeballs.

Spec readout in youtube comments section, and system performance readout with framerate at top is shown in the video.

As far as a system to run tane as best it can?
Well, no matter the system, shadows and post processing settings should probably be kept less than maximum.
A single GPU, a 1080 ti, and a i7 6850k 6 core. 32 gig ram for large routes (and i even need 64gig, TransDEM uses it ALLLL). Dual SSD harddrives, one ssd for OS, one ssd for TANE(and its database)
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-launch-january/

No such thing as future proof, in 1+ year, you will probably want to eventually replace your videocard to get even better fps.
The battle never ends with new graphic engines being created to bring top hardware to its knees.

Last edited:
A single GPU, a 1080 ti, and a i7 6850k 6 core.

Isn't the GTX 1080ti a bit elderly these days? I thought the Pascal Titan is a bit more recent.

One wonders how much TS12 can use of 32 gigs of RAM being 32 bit software. Still TANE might just make use of a bit more with enough sketchup based models.

Cheerio John

The nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (Reference Card) is "only" $500 less than the former top-of-the-line Titan (Pascal).
Reckon it'll push T:ANE pixels faster than just about any other card too...
Here's what Ars Technica had to say in their review summary:

There's no doubt about it: The GTX 1080 Ti is pixel-pushing monster. It's around 30 percent faster than a GTX 1080, and as much as 60 percent faster than a GTX 1070 at 1080p. More importantly, it's 70 percent faster than a GTX 980 Ti, and offers over double the performance of a GTX 980. If you're still rocking a GTX 780 Ti and considering an upgrade, the GTX 1080 Ti offers over three times the performance. Only in some science applications and rendering applications will the GTX 1080 with its higher clock speed make more sense.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-review/

Can't wait 'til we see what 3rd party card vendors will do when they add their proprietary coolers and tweaks to this monster.
The pricing is the intriguing thing - with many thinking the deep price-cut is a pre-emptive strike by nVidia ahead of AMD's release of Vega cards in the 2nd quarter of this year.
Recommended retail prices for the GTX-1080 have been dropped by $100 too and GTX-1070 prices will likely drop as well shortly.

This is indeed a great time to be building a gaming machine for running T:ANE in all its glory!

Back