The TRS2009 & Blender Saga

srude

Hello, everyone;

After considerable effort I finally got a sufficient grasp of Blender, whereby, I created a cube and applied a texture map to it. That is the start of creating content for the upcoming Trainz release.

I will soon start working on a train station and by the time I finish the model, I hope to have TRS2009 loaded onto my computer and have the model transported into the game.

And so there it is!

Cheers to all,

srude

I had wondered if Blender was the one for trs 09 but I understand that Gmax will also work.Is that correct?

From what I read on other post's, Gmax don't work in 09, which is a shame. Although I understand you can download Gmax creations :confused: .
I have Blender installed, but I've never used it.
Cheers
Pete

Deleted as unconnected to non trainz web search engine results. B

harlech2.jpg

Last edited:
After two weeks of work I think I got Blender to make the needed normal maps for TRS09 but am unable to test do to old computer not running 09. If I am doing it right it will be much harder to use Blender than 3D Max do to the way "bake normals" works.
Gmax can be used for 09 but you can not make as good a model as you can with Blender or Max. New exporters have been made for Max but not for Gmax and Gmax has a size limit.

My understanding is Blender is capable of using more features of TRS2009 than GMAX is.

Personally when creating for TC3 I find it easier and more consistant than GMAX. I'm still seeing a few oddities for example if I have an animation or two I have to reset the number of frames to the number I want but on the whole I prefer it.

There is a definite need for tutorials for Trainz, there are some excellent videos around but many of the tutorials are about features Trainz doesn't need.

I did a very basic one in the Trainz wikibook and if you know your way around GMAX then it's not too difficult.

Cheerio John

Question .....I think as far as I am concerned can ordinary UV texturing methods be used for trs2009!?.....

Last edited:
Blender 2.48

A new Blender version is available now with lots of new goodies like selection of islands in the UV editor and a window zoom function (SHIFT-B).

Paul

If anyone has an questions about the baking processes, send me an e-mail. I've been using Blender long enough to use all of it's functions. You could almost call me sub-expert :p

Cheerio,
John

Back