The Return Of The NS Fostoria District!

chrisracer8903

Michigan Trainz
Now with the Surfliner at USTrainz.com at ANY TIME. I have been working on the NS Fostoria District Version 2. It's better content and better track, etc. Many credits for Grogstop65 for changing the track and switches thru TrainzMap in TRS2004 version to import and saved me over 7 hours of track work! So far North Lima to North Fostoria is complete and the mainline to Bellevue is next to work on. The terrain is more accurate and the Bellevue Hump Yard is a working hump yard thanks to the kit at Trainzproroutes.com. Lima area is included aswell and the diamond at Findlay, Ohio. The line includes the B&O and C&O yards of CSX and Tower F. The line is former N&W and NKP. This route runs from Lima to Bellevue, Ohio and is all prototypical. More coming soon, but enjoy this for now! :D

nsfy1aj3.jpg

NS Baretable train roars over the CSX Willard Sub, bound for Bellevue. This is the spot I go railfanning when I go to Fostoria with my dad. This is the parking lot of the Amtrak Station off-of Main Street and is as you can see is sandwiched by the former NKP and B&O tracks. On the far left (Off-screen) is the Amtrak station that stopped Amtrak Service in 2005 due to the main and passenger services went "Sour". Now it's a CSX Yard Office.
nsfy5jt9.jpg

CSX local working at the B&O Yard infront of Tower F as a northbound freight on the CSX Columbus Sub heads to Toledo's Walbridge Yard (Where trains head north on the CSX Saginaw Sub to Detroit).
nsfy2rz6.jpg

nsfy3pw9.jpg

NS 17H Fostoria local does daily work at the massive Fostoria Mixing Center (Their local really is a SD40-2).
nsfy4gh7.jpg

NS roadrailer heading to Bellevue rolls south thru Arcadia, Ohio. -Chris

Last edited:
Willard!

Chris,

When I saw the reference to the Willard Sub, I just had to share two stories involving Willard:

(1) I was living in Tiffin, Ohio when I was in first grade during the '62-63 school year. One day, they piled us into school buses and drove us to Willard. There, we got on board a passenger train (I believe it was the B&O in those days) and we got to ride back to the Tiffin train station. I remember being awed at the dining car -- that you could actually cook and serve a meal on a train and eat off white tablecloths like in a fancy restaurant.

(2) I was living in Perrysburg, Ohio when I was in the sixth grade. The C&O was 1/2 block from my house. I could see it right out the front windows. One day a train broke down just as the engines were passing by. The train sat there all afternoon. I asked my mom to make some sandwiches and I took them out to the train. The engineer let me come up into the engine and showed me around. He gave me his C&O rule book, and I still have it today. When I asked him where he was from, he said, "Willard."

-- Russ

Chris,

When I saw the reference to the Willard Sub, I just had to share two stories involving Willard:

(1) I was living in Tiffin, Ohio when I was in first grade during the '62-63 school year. One day, they piled us into school buses and drove us to Willard. There, we got on board a passenger train (I believe it was the B&O in those days) and we got to ride back to the Tiffin train station. I remember being awed at the dining car -- that you could actually cook and serve a meal on a train and eat off white tablecloths like in a fancy restaurant.

(2) I was living in Perrysburg, Ohio when I was in the sixth grade. The C&O was 1/2 block from my house. I could see it right out the front windows. One day a train broke down just as the engines were passing by. The train sat there all afternoon. I asked my mom to make some sandwiches and I took them out to the train. The engineer let me come up into the engine and showed me around. He gave me his C&O rule book, and I still have it today. When I asked him where he was from, he said, "Willard."

-- Russ

That's really cool. I'm fond of railfanning in Fostoria and Perrysburg when I'm down there to see a Packard Show. Do you know what CSX sub runs thru Perrysburg? It's another route I'll do in the future. -Chris

CSX in Perrysburg

Chris,

Golly, I don't know which sub runs through Perrysburg.

When I was a kid, that was a mainline. In the 80s it languished, and they talked about abandoning it. Then in the 90s, as a result of some plan, they revived it. The townspeople were furious, but I was glad to see it. The trains never bothered me in the 8 years I lived there!

There used to be a yard on it at Rossford. I remember riding my bike there when I was 12 and crossing 12 tracks! (I got in big trouble for riding so far away, crossing so many tracks, and not getting home until after dark -- but it was worth it!).

At Bates Road there was an interlocking tower, and I once wrote a poem about it called "A B&O Thanksgiving." I haven't been by it recently, so I don't know if it's still in operation.

Finally, in Perrysburg, where Roachton road crosses the tracks, there was once a town called Roachton. But it's been gone for about a century now, even though its name lives on.

-- Russ.

UPDATE! 90% of the route is done. Here's some pics of the route east of Fostoria.

BELLEVUE YARD
by1ho1.jpg

NS switching crew unloads a train of cars on the Hump. (Somebody could please help me on how to get the Retarders to work!)
by2wd9.jpg

Some engines in the Bellevue Loco Shops.
by3wy4.jpg

Yard office area and the MOW track is occupied by some freight cars.
by4rd0.jpg

The old Bellevue Roundhouse forgotten by time and was once a great roundhouse for Norfolk & Western and Nickle Plate Road.

MAINLINE
by5nl2.jpg

A veiw of the W&LE Interchange near downtown Bellevue.
by7bl9.jpg

This is Spring Junction for NS locals that head south near Willard and continues to Fostoria thru CP Spring.
by6ru7.jpg

Green Springs, Ohio (Not much of a town).
by8vs4.jpg

Green Springs Soil Distributer where NS crosses the former C&O Toledo Line. Enjoy! -Chris

Last edited:
Looks great Chris!! I just have one question. With the humpyard, is there anything that will brake the cars on the way down? I used to hump cars on the Lehigh Valley route (cab mode) and the cars kept rolling and rolling and rolling, eventually passing through a closed switch and derailing.
Is there anything you can do to brake them?

Looks great Chris!! I just have one question. With the humpyard, is there anything that will brake the cars on the way down? I used to hump cars on the Lehigh Valley route (cab mode) and the cars kept rolling and rolling and rolling, eventually passing through a closed switch and derailing.
Is there anything you can do to brake them?

I used TPR's Humpyard Kit and I just need to know what session rule makes the retarders work. -Chris

I'm not sure what you mean so I'll answer in 2 ways :D :

1. It's what the railcars run over to slow-down.

2. It's part of TPR's Humpyard Kit pack. -Chris

Back