The Illinois Railway Museum Route

Well he has been removed from the group just to let you know SP9813. Sorry Ktrain but I would suggest you read Zec's post here if you want to have a better chance later in life.

Last edited:
After spending a few weeks searching the DLS for scenery stuff to use on the route, Ive finally decided I have enough for to right now do some more work around the museum ground area of the route. I will have some progress shots later today that I will post.

3c2a45dc9f00e193f440c92f55599d77.jpg

947e11b535ec4b4c34d90799840abcb4.jpg

One quick question. Are any of these signals been made in Trainz yet? and if so what are they call since I'm not a modern day expert on signals (Im more familiar with Steam Era signals). IRM has a good collection of signals on display next to Barn 6 and I was hoping to see if every signal they have wether if its operating or static (like the ones in the photo below) is available for Trainz.

Note this is not my photo... These are the more modern signal in display, the older ones are further down towards the rear of Barn 6
7b0f9b4c60b0d8ce7a7e03de049a4095.jpg

Last edited:
High signals, L-R:

Searchlight with small target (can't tell make or model), unknown, US&S R series, unknown, GRS type G, B&O CPL with high marker and restricting "\", B&O CPL, C&NW horizontal color-light (has a name but I can't recall it), PRR position light, though they could be N&W color position light, but all amber lamps and all 3 lit say PRR to me.

Dwarves are a crap shoot. I see PRR left and right dwarves, CPL dwarves with no markers (though that's hard to tell), and can't make out the others on the left.

RRsignal has good representations of the searchlight and type g. There are some good CPL's, but they were beta and I think the creator pulled them. The horizontal color-lights were made, but again, the creator pulled them (Grahamsea?), seniorchief makes N&W and PRR CPL and PL's, while georgefisher also has the dwarves. I know the B&O dwarves are out there, but forget who makes them. And RRSignal's US&S dwarves can probably fill in reasonably well for the unknowns on the far left.

So my best chance is to look under RRsignal to use his is the best option? plus here is all of the signals in the display, did he make these types too?

Again these are not my photos....

d4c8a23d468a679a512368905a2bac93.jpg

74038b191f78a2346ea4b969ce429125.jpg

efb242f94b99664509e5c8a1adc887d1.jpg

Just poke around on the DLS. It's what I do all the time to find stuff that looks interesting. I know several of those can be found on there. I'm at work and don't have my external with my content with me.

Just poke around on the DLS. It's what I do all the time to find stuff that looks interesting. I know several of those can be found on there. I'm at work and don't have my external with my content with me.
Its okay. I can look around further on the DLS now since I was able to free up a lot of space now on my Computer storage by deleting all of those un needed backup folders that were from today. :) Thanks for the help by the way Eboy87. I appreciate it. :)

being the true railfan I am and how I love IRM, i'll be willing to contribute.
I can make the following engines skinned:
*ahem*
Metra 308
C&NW 411 as metra 305
BN-1
BN-2
com ed 15
Pullman 1792 (I haven't found a davenport for trainz yet (keyword being yet), but I can see if a Plymouth re-skin will work
union pacific m35 (the doodle bug)
j neils lumber company no. 5
GTW 6323 (I can just reletter the built in u-2g for ts2012 to make it appropriately match 6323 unless the u-2g would look too different compared to a u-3b, which might make things more complicated)
just to name a few

I could make a ereskin for 2903, but the trouble is, for the 2900 engine I found, the drivers keep moving even while the engine is still (plus the stack is a little tall, so it wouldn't have been too accurate anyways)
I'd like to do a reskin of bn-3 but IDK if there's an e9 that has been made for trainz.
I can also try to modify an f7's source textures to have a mechanical bell in the place of a top headlight if it helps for the reskinning

as an off topic (kinda) note, I did try to make a 1630 reskin myself, but the results weren't quite what I expected. I made my own reskin of bdneal's 2-10-0m in paint.net, and I didn't quite get it right. I used the paint bucket, and let's just say I was trying endlessly to get the right areas painted, but some areas were accidentally painted. I wanted to make the smoke box grey, but I could only get the front of the smokebox re-colored. I did in the end enjoy it, though, as it sorta looks like a fictional SP black widow 2-10-0! I don't really plan to use it for the route. I'll just keep it for my sake. Now I do like the model of 1630 used for the route, but I wish the air pump was front-mounted like the real thing. That's not to say though that it can't be done. I'm sure sometime someone will make the right model that can be reskinned to look exactly like 1630.

If anyone wants me to make certain reskins for the route, I'll be more than happy to!

I'll see you guys down the line (now that's sorta railroad humor)!

-jack

Hello everyone, Sorry for the lack of public updates and photos for this project but we have made some progress on the the route but its slow because of the lack of assets but now we finally found a person to finally make custom scenery objects for the route for the Illinois Railway Museum section of the route and I would like to say thanks to BlackDiamond1964 for providing his content creation skills to help us out and take this project another step forward by offering to help build Both Custom Buildings and then later on when all custom buildings are completed (Check out the IRM releases he has done so far on his website) he will then start work on some of IRM's electric equipment so look out in the future for that. Right now I am making one more trip at visiting the Illinois Railway Museum on both September 17th and 18th (so if you want something to model that is present at IRM but you live to far to visit please contact me by PM or Skype). As for route photos we will start posting some route progress shots starting after the 18th of September. Last I will like to say Ive announce there will be two versions of this route, the first version will include just the Illinois Railway Museum and its Museum mainline and nothing else, that route will be done by me personally, the second will be done as a team effort project that will included everything else with IRM included which is the two mainlines between Rockford and O'Hare Airport and the Fox River Trolley Museum (custom content will be done for that museum later down the road). Again I apologies for the lack of public post but I've been very busy organizing a dedicated team for this project as well doing on site research, collecting data and documents and recruiting members and not to mention work and other personal things. Anyway we hope to start posting more public progress on this route soon so stay tuned.

Hi everyone, Im back from my IRM trip and I had a great time and I would also like to also mention that besides me making more visits to the Illinois Railway Museum next year I will also be volunteering at IRM next year for the Steam Department since its time to start helping them out besides just making visits and I want to be able to work on Steam Locomotives while Im still young so be sure to look for me in the steam shops next year.

Anyway back to my project, I would first like to announce thats from now on whatever BlackDiamond1964 makes that relates to IRM will be posted here so be sure to look out for updates on that here from now on. I will also like to mention that I finally got in contact with my route DEM creator and he sent me a brand new DEM route of just the Illinois Railway Museum Grounds and its Museum Mainline only so I can start work on it as soon as I post this message, this new DEM is a big improvement over the last one because the track elevation in this one is better laid out so Track work is now less of a hassle and It requires less work at editing terrain for the track hight.

Now for from some updates from my team of content creators who are helping me out with this project (And I have no limit for the number of content creator I need to work on this project so Im always open for new project members) so lets begin...

PWeiser is working on creating the Illinois Central Electric MU Rapid Transit Cars that are the only surviving examples of these types of cars and they are also operational.

The Car Body
28d5bb7389a8bd41a5ad7917ff227e47.jpg

The trucks
4246b978be55903fdaa5c6c483bac324.jpg

The real cars
056f9607c55e1b47994bda82a65ba70d.jpg

Now we move on to our Jointed Rail Star member in this project Simulatortrain who has started work on the first set of IRM freight equipment for the project and its this Rock Island Wooden Auto Boxcar

The Model (so Far)
51c54b0c257ca1d8ade2d9b119dbf748.jpg

The Real Car
8459bc963c23ec3334debab49915c33a.jpg

Finally BenjaminW is working on creating a working model of ATSF Heavy Northern #2903 (while the real one is not operational at IRM) I on the other hand plan on making whatever piece of rolling stock IRM has thats on Static display currently to be operational in Trainz because I not only have intentions to just use the content for just the museum route but I want people to also use it on any route so its more practical if I make every static item operational so if you want to run this engine on the Mojave Sub Route for example you can if I make it an operational model so it works out for everyone.

Bens model (So Far)
4c2e23d34472cea71c0063508ac4a327.png

The Real One
043944a67e3e3b49d14ed07bbea849ec.jpg

Again every piece of rolling stock that will be produce (no matter who will make them) will have ARN so the model is not limited to just one number. Thats all for now but expect some more progress from this moment onwards.

Last edited:
Plus as a special bonus update here is a look at the new DEM Route I just got (Many thanks to my route DEM master rr_jdm for all of his help towards the project), I have to leave for work soon in about a hour and 35 minutes but Im off work tomorrow so I will start work on the route tomorrow but here is what it looks like

The Overall Size of the new DEM route
bcc087b72b74c715d6ae5a84e44fb666.png

A closer look of the new DEM route
6c387d4821b82069663b19883be1b11c.png

Again I will be doing all the work (For the route building process for this one) but when this complete and released, this route will provide a small preview for the next step of the building the larger route which will be done as a team effort when we get to that but this will hold everyone over when I finish this route until that large route is completed. Glad that I finally put some more effort into this project again. :)

Last edited:
Work in Progress - Test Shots

Test shots in-game of the 1100 class (think IC 1198). Doors, pantos, and other mechanicals all working, needs rivets and under-body details.

fb41561037bf060b9f734dff56eb8423.jpg

80106be8c169f8fd5d8e14eaa634364e.jpg

(Images hosted at HostThenPost, may expire.)

Thanks, by the way, to Matt3985 for suggesting this project and providing prototype information! All kinds of little design and scripting challenges...

No problem PWeiser, glad to see your enjoying this project, keep up the good work on the MUs if you want to help out BDW1964 by helping him out with the electric equipment please contact me, he may need help with animations with trolley poles and etc. also I will begin route work today so keep an eye on this thread.

Time for a quick update, Ive finished the track work for the Museum Mainline and now Im about to start work on the Museum Grounds and Trolley Loop track work and I put BDW1964's two IRM Barns he has made so far which are barn 3 and 9.

1cf89177ea8fd5abd00a22a8a27ae612.jpg

0107d2789330267c360f3a0a9f577325.jpg

f38033aade38ce3f358739d150fc7fdf.jpg

Still got a lot to do but I will like to say Thanks to BlackDiamond1964 for creating the custom scenery assets for my route because without them I cant make a real progress so many thanks to him for his efforts. Keep an eye on this thread there is more to come later tonight.

On a side note keep on a look out in the future on Trainboi1 because he is planning on doing these engines for me at some point

cbb761c40ed57022eb2f47ed18385f13.jpg

9d2c2199695cc0f7a20e7c09f5431105.jpg

2a8803cef2aa20e1fd800e8b1e231ca2.jpg

2280bdb28384ba36648a51f03c3b29e6.jpg

6fb0faf5017714a58d2a9c93cb1f4b47.jpg

Last edited:
Back