The General, a US Civil war locomotive

To celebrate the General I uploaded 16 scenery and Driveable civil War items tonight the Entire Cavalry :p I Want The General

Er, that's the Confederate Flag, Mark. The US FLag is the one with the little stars in one corner, and the rest is red and blue lines.

Still, looks great, though!

LONG LIVE THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA!:D

Great to see the "General" arrive in Trainz. I suggest the book "The General and the Texas" which will tell you about the full history of the locomotives.And its FULL of pictures. From there you will see what it would take to backdate the mesh to make a Civil War-era version. Just putting green paint on the current version of the General would not do it justice The MSTS versions of the General are fantastic,and yours looks just as good. I am modeling a part of the N&W that the General ran over during the 1962 tour. I look forward to its release! Joe S. Columbus Ohio

I "lent" it out to 3 people to give a trial, and they all had minor issues.

1. Most serious issue is I'm running Trainz06 and those running 04 need me to modify the config files before releasing it. I have an email to Ben about it, and he should respond soon with details. Just setting the "trainz_Build" number to 2.4 isn't all that needs to be done! He told me what to do, but I didn't fully understand. One "tester" running 06 said it loaded fine for him.

2. The texture needs to be slightly modified, so that the details, (rivets...), show up better.

3. For now, I am using Trainz "default"(?) cab view. There seems to be some descrepancies with that. I do plan on making a cab view, but not within the next several weeks. I thought about releasing it, then updating in the near future.

4. It goes through water like it has a BIG hole in it!! Not sure how to fix that.

5. The mesh on the tender for the wood pile needs tweaking. Not a big deal, but I'm trying to keep the polycount down. I could make it look like real wood, but that would add up the polygons!

6. The wood in the tender is animated, (goes down with usage), but at a very slow rate. Would love to speed that up if someone can tell me how! I ran it for about an hour or so with little to no change in usage.

7. a couple of other minor tweaks that I plan on fixing after I take a little vacation for a few days.

One request, that I'm not sure about, is that the headlights are burning yellow, but the ground lights up white at night. Any way to correct this?

Terry

Great to see the "General" arrive in Trainz. I suggest the book "The General and the Texas" which will tell you about the full history of the locomotives.And its FULL of pictures. From there you will see what it would take to backdate the mesh to make a Civil War-era version. Just putting green paint on the current version of the General would not do it justice The MSTS versions of the General are fantastic,and yours looks just as good. I am modeling a part of the N&W that the General ran over during the 1962 tour. I look forward to its release! Joe S. Columbus Ohio

Still looking for the book, will try Amazon and Google.

ALSO

IF "you" or anyone else out there has a link to the MSTS General, I would like to see this one! I've tried searching for it, but cannot find it.

Thanks!

Terry

Terry
http://hawkdawg.com/MSTS/rts/wa/wa_1862.htm
The above is a links to the MSTS group working on the Western & Atlantic project. You will find many screenshots of the General. Also,Microscale Decals released WARR Civil War decals about a year ago. That would help with colors,fonts,etc,etc.. Joe S. CEO The Bald-One Locomotive Workz

Does she have any passanger cars in narrow gauge? Got a link or any kuid #s?:)

Great job, man...:Y:

You have to sign up but here's the MSTS link, Train-Sim.Com. Search around.

Rick

Last edited:
Terry
http://hawkdawg.com/MSTS/rts/wa/wa_1862.htm
The above is a links to the MSTS group working on the Western & Atlantic project. You will find many screenshots of the General. Also,Microscale Decals released WARR Civil War decals about a year ago. That would help with colors,fonts,etc,etc.. Joe S. CEO The Bald-One Locomotive Workz

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure, but the MSTS engine looks an awful lot like the one in the Buster Keaton movie from the 20's. I know that the General in the museum is a "Rogers" built locomotive and I thought that the "acorn" on the sand dome was a traditional "Rogers" symbol on their engines. The MSTS engine does not even have that nor did the engines in the Buster Keaton movie. I'm not sure or convinced (at this point) that the original "GENERAL" was used for that move. Would be a great research platform if it was!

Not splitting hairs here. I think it looks like a fine engine. My engine is directly taken from the engine in the museum. Is it possible, (and I'll get around to researching this), that the MSTS engine is US Civil War era and that is what she looked like in the 1800's?

I'm assuming, (yes, I know), that the Microscale decals are for an HO scale engine? I'll have to look on their website if it is posted. Also the history of the General is on the website http://www.locomotivegeneral.com/faq.html. I know she went through a couple of number changes. Wonder if the decals are a true representation of (which???) engine?

Terry

Does she have any passanger cars in narrow gauge? Got a link or any kuid #s?:)

Great job, man...:Y:

You have to sign up but here's the MSTS link, Train-Sim.Com. Search around.

Rick

Since I was re-creating the museum replica, it is NOT in narrow gauge. (Seems there are an AWFUL lot of N.G. er's out there!!!) If I decide to modify it to a Civil War era engine I will have to change it to NG.

No, I do not have any cars for it, this is my first try at creating anything in GMAX for Trainz. I would lOVE to have freight and passenger cars for that era. There are replys on this thread for cars. If I can't find what I want, I'll make some. They just HAVE to be eaiser to make than the engine! ;)

Yes the General went through many changes. In 1855 a typical Rogers loco had 3 domes. Buster Keaton's Locos were form the 1880's,backdated to look more like the 1860's. The Microscale decals reflect the Civil-war scheme. I have the MPC kit of the Gerneral myself (4 actually). I have been to the museum in Kennesaw ,Ga. Your rendition of the engine as it appeared from 1962-on looks great,and along with Ben Neal's 4-4-0,will help fill a void in Trainz. Can't wait for the release. The only reason I put MSTS BACK on the hard drive,was the availability of great looking 4-4-0's like the "General". So keep up the good work! Joe S.

Yes the General went through many changes. In 1855 a typical Rogers loco had 3 domes. Buster Keaton's Locos were form the 1880's,backdated to look more like the 1860's. The Microscale decals reflect the Civil-war scheme. I have the MPC kit of the Gerneral myself (4 actually). I have been to the museum in Kennesaw ,Ga. Your rendition of the engine as it appeared from 1962-on looks great,and along with Ben Neal's 4-4-0,will help fill a void in Trainz. Can't wait for the release. The only reason I put MSTS BACK on the hard drive,was the availability of great looking 4-4-0's like the "General". So keep up the good work! Joe S.
I know what you mean. It was rather difficult for me to go with Trainz because it didn't have many 4-4-0's. Greg Baker's old timer loco and the marlboro American just did not exhibit the same look and feel of a real 4-4-0. But you know, I knew I should be patent and that someone would eventually do it, just as with MSTS!:D

I don't think rolling stock should be an issue, as pencil's will do fine with some reskinning. After the General is finished, maybe tbryson2 should make a 36" gauge General just like the replica at Sx Flags Over GA:cool:

Back