The General, a US Civil war locomotive

Hey, if you did make the texas, some nice W&ARR equipment, and the cannon car, we could recreate the old movie:)

By default, the specular on items made in gmax doesn't work when exported to Trainz. The third post in this thread will show you how to make them work.http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=6862

If you're curious, these are the settings I used on the domes, cab, headlight of my 4-4-0s:
Specular Color 0,0,70 (HSV)
Specular Level 100
Glossiness 48
Reflection 5% Env_glass.bmp

For the smokebox, smokestack, firebox, cab roof, frame:
Specular Color 0,0,70 (HSV)
Specular Level 50
Glossiness 48
No Reflection

For the boiler, which is trying to simulate Russian Iron, a blue-gray metal used as a boiler jacket from the 1860s (possibly earlier) to the 1910s. It's possible that the General had a Russian Iron boiler jacket, but I can't say for certain.
Color on texture 62, 73, 78 (RGB)
Specular Color 23, 31, 50 (RGB)
Specular Level 100
Glossiness 48
Reflection 7% Env_glass.bmp

Cheers,
Ben

Not sure about the "Russian Iron", but from the photographs and from memory it seems it was simply a gloss black.

I made the General (plastic model) and plan to make another version for Trainz in dark green. Reason is because I didn't like the museum colors! They didn't look like a working engine in the field to me. (She was after all made up to look pretty for the Bicentenneal!)

I contacted the L&N RR company a LONG time ago and asked what her "original" colors were. The only response I got was "Dark Green". Nothing more, nothing less.

Should I release a green version, this will be explained in the release.

I will take your settings and see what I can do with them.

Thanks bdaneal! One step closer!

Terry

Beautiful locomotive!! You are really doing a great job!

We got some nice box cars and such already, we can just reskin them.:)

Feel free to reskin any of my cars and re-release them under your own KUID.
You might also ask Meridious - he has a nice set of old boxcars at TPR (http://trainzproroutes.com/downloads/). Some day, I am planning on doing a set of Civil War cars, but I'm kinda tied up at the moment. Maybe later this year....

... Reason is because I didn't like the museum colors! They didn't look like a working engine in the field to me. (She was after all made up to look pretty for the Bicentenneal!)

Terry

Actually, in service the trains of that period were meticulously polished. Engineers took great pride in the ornate decorations of their engines and spent much time on cleaning.
That's one of the reasons Harriman insisted on all of his engines being plain black. Less time spent cleaning means more time pulling trains.
The incident where the Union troops stole the General was made into a comedy by Buster Keaton. One of his best train gags was the scene where he underloaded the howitzer on his pursuing train and blew up his own engine.

:cool: Claude

Not sure about the "Russian Iron", but from the photographs and from memory it seems it was simply a gloss black.

I made the General (plastic model) and plan to make another version for Trainz in dark green. Reason is because I didn't like the museum colors! They didn't look like a working engine in the field to me. (She was after all made up to look pretty for the Bicentenneal!)

I contacted the L&N RR company a LONG time ago and asked what her "original" colors were. The only response I got was "Dark Green". Nothing more, nothing less.

Should I release a green version, this will be explained in the release.

I will take your settings and see what I can do with them.

Thanks bdaneal! One step closer!

Terry

I rather like it's post-1960's era paint scheme. It looks better than it did in the Chattanooga Terminal. There are illustrations depicting its original form and colors. I believe there is already a model of the General's original form in MSTS, if that'll give you a good idea.

Beautiful locomotive!! You are really doing a great job!

Feel free to reskin any of my cars and re-release them under your own KUID.
You might also ask Meridious - he has a nice set of old boxcars at TPR (http://trainzproroutes.com/downloads/). Some day, I am planning on doing a set of Civil War cars, but I'm kinda tied up at the moment. Maybe later this year....

Are your cars on the DLS? I really would like to find some passenger and freight cars for that era.

Also, you get an honerable mention in the README for this engine!! I thank you for your help in the past.

Terry

Is there a link to see it? I don't have MSTS and don't know anything about downloading or looking at engines for it. I could do a search, but don't have the time.

Terry

So who is going to make a Civil War Layout Content is nit a problim here :hehe: ...............:udrool:
I was playing with the Idea untill my PC backflipped and ruined the GND file (still driveable with a invisable world):eek:
horsesoldiers01xu8.jpg

horsesoldiers3sl0.jpg

Is there a link to see it? I don't have MSTS and don't know anything about downloading or looking at engines for it. I could do a search, but don't have the time.

Terry

Don't worry about downloading it, just find pictures for illustration purposes. I'm sure you can find one...:eek:

Cool pictures Dreaddman!

I had not considered a Civil War layout! I just wanted to get the engine built because she didn't exists, (that I could find), for Trainz.

That would be an awesome layout though!

Terry

Excellent looking locomotive Terry! Ever since I was about 3 or 4 I have always been watching the Buster Keaton silent movie "The General", and that engine looks exactly like the real thing! (Well, maybe except for the gauge. ;) )

Great Job on this engine and keep up the good work,
Dietrich

Excellent looking locomotive Terry! Ever since I was about 3 or 4 I have always been watching the Buster Keaton silent movie "The General", and that engine looks exactly like the real thing! (Well, maybe except for the gauge. ;) )

Great Job on this engine and keep up the good work,
Dietrich

I'll have to look at the movie, it's been awhile. Perhaps I can download it and watch it on my TV later. Too much to do for now!

Thanks!

Terry

Yeah, man! You need to finish that engine! I can't wait to run it! As far as rolling stock, I think pencie's St Paul & Pacific combine could be altered to look resonably like the L&N Combine that the General pulled during its tour...:eek:

Hey man you need to finish the loco i'm so excit:udrool: :udrool: ed that:udrool::udrool: I can't :udrool: :udrool: stop:udrool: Help:mop: :mop: :mop:

Back