textures: is there a way?

misterchugg

hi all

i have been reading some threads that suggest that if you have been placing textures over each other it may make the game jerk.

is there a way to go back to the bare baseboard like an eraser for textures?

that would be great to have

thanks
ron

hi

i can only find three:

Derailed Vehicle Eraser

AJS Spline Eraser

AJS Track Eraser

none of them are for textures

would you know the name or kuid number?

thanks
ron

misterchugg this was just what i was thinking, iv used tranzDEM to make a plan for a route to an OS map has been 'painted' on the base board, sobeing able to 'clean' it off before putting down my real texture would be a great poly saver

OT @ boy hennah - clean the OS map off after using it as a texturing guide by archiving (06) or removing (04) the texture set the map uses and then deleting missing content.....

Andy :)

hi all
thank you for that
i got it and the other marker [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]kuid 44700:11992

thanks again
ron
[/FONT]

Dermmy's suggestion is the way to do it. Perhaps I should add this hint to the manual?

BTW, this has nothing to do with polygons. Ground textures just add to the number of texture passes the renderer has to go through when processing the terrain. There are always two faces (aka triangles aka polygons) for each 10m baseboard square, independent of the texture count. I am not sure whether the jet engine would actually render a ground texture with weight 0, i.e totally occluded by another one. There had been some discussion about this last year. The primary reason for erasing obsolete ground textures in a route is the texture limit of 250 maximum.

Just tried "Texture Erazor" - is found in texture menu in surveyor when downloaded - named "grid" and it works in a test demo. I have not tried in an existing route as I am concerned that the grid size seems to be bigger after use !!
Is this ok or could it lead to problems - any comments appreciated.

Ron

Before applying "Texture Erazor" you have to set everything (radius, scale) in the texturing window to minimum and the direction to absolutely north. Only then you can pick the correct moving edges of the grid.
Nothing can happen when you do it wrong (bigger grid), but then it does not really help to pick and level up/down precicely the grid.

Back