Switch overlays keep disappearing

BuilderBob

The red/green arrow overlays for the turnout switches keep disappearing. It seems to affect particular switches, but it's a lot of them, generally in groups. I can sometimes get the overlays to reappear by making a tiny adjustment to the spline point location, or by using the straighten tool on one of the tracks (which I guess is another way of making the spline point move slightly). Deleting and replacing the switch lever makes no difference - if it won't show before I delete and replace it won't show after, but might reappear if I adjust the spline point location. Sometimes the fix seems permanent - sometimes the overlay comes and goes according to the exact location of the spline point (the required adjustments are very small).

In some cases the only fix is to undo the spline connection, move each track end out of the way, and then join them back together. But even if I do that the lever and overlay aren't always created - it seems random. If I add the switch, I might or might not have a problem with it. Even if it is automatically created, if I rotate it to change the side, the overlay usually disappears.

If I manage to fix them, when I save and exit and restart, some of them have disappeared again!

What's also odd is that if I zoom right out, or view the route using Map, then the overlays are there.
This seems to be one route only. It's TS12 / Sp1.

Any suggestions about fixing these overlays and making them stick would be appreciated.

I’ve no experience in your specific version, but it may not be too different to earlier Trainz.

The appearance of the red/green arrows in Surveyor can vary depending on which Menu flyout you are working in, and sometimes will only appear when you float your cursor over the specific junction you want to see.

In the Track flyout (F4), when -add track or -add trackmark is selected, the arrows only show when you float the cursor over the junction. Still in the Track menu, with -add object selected all of the junction arrows will show. In addition, if you Press Alt O (letter O, not zero), they will all show, together with spline circles, in all three options. Press Alt O again to toggle back to normal.

If it’s an issue in Driver, you can always try setting the on screen help function to Off. That also hides the arrows until you place the cursor over the junction.

Hopefully the difference in our versions won’t make this advice too misleading.

I can use Alt+O to turn the displays on and off, and that affects the overlays, the labels and (depending on the selected tab) the spline point markers. But that's for all of them. My problem is with particular ones that will not display the label overlay at all until I rebuild them, or nudge the spline point into exactly the correct location. For instance, I have a double crossover where one of them shows and three don't. If I adjust one spline point position then the two at the opposite end of the crossover (even the one that usually displays) flicker on and off according to the exact location of the one I am moving. Getting all four to show requires very careful adjustment while watching them all. Then I save, shut down and restart, and only one shows!

When in track selection the levers don't appear unless very close. If you select trackside objects the track splines will vanish and the levers will become visible when you move near them. The alternative is you have them on another layer.

When in track selection the levers don't appear unless very close. If you select trackside objects the track splines will vanish and the levers will become visible when you move near them. The alternative is you have them on another layer.

I don't know what you mean by 'very' close, but if I'm close enough to move the splines then I can see usually the overlays. The problem is that some of them won't appear, no matter how close I am, until I nudge the spline position. I can make them appear and disappear by changing the location of the spline point slightly - they flicker into and out of existence depending on the exact location. They are there, in the current layer, because I can remove and add them, and if I name them then the names are preserved, whether they are visible or not. The problem is that they are only visible if I adjust the spline location precisely, and then they are invisible the next time I start up, until I adjust the spline position again.

Back