Street Running Routes?

There is a fairly old route from Trainz 2006: <kuid:425968:1247> JayStConnecting, from the author maxwerks, which, copying the route description, says:
This two-square route represents the Jay Street Connecting Railroad in Brooklyn, New York, USA, in the 1920s. It has a floatbridge for unloading railroad carfloats, two freight yards, and a large freighthouse. The railroad travels under the Manhattan bridge to connect the two yards and services various industries along the way, including a munitions factory, a sugar mill, a Brillo steel wool factory, a cardboard packaging manufacturer, a glass factory, and several warehouses. Due to the sharp curves on this route, use of large engines or freight cars over 40 feet in length is not recommended.
It is more of a route to maneuver through some streets and surrounded by large buildings.

The route is done very well and includes some waterfront switching as well. I integrated that route into my big route as one of the seaport areas. Since the route has very few trees, and they are the paper variety (billboards) there's no issues bringing the route in at all into TRS19 or TRS22/Plus.

A beautiful route with street running is <kuid2:642837:100268:1> Aston Heights - Switching industrial Layout on the DLS. It is build 5.4, that is it is for the newest Trainz version.

Regards
Swordfish

Last edited:
Hello! I've been thinking: "Man, we need some more street running Routes" So if you could help me find some, that would be Absolutely Great! (Details about street running can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_running_train )
Lately i was thinking the same, intown routes and trains, trams for example are almost excluded from Trainz, this category is barely seen. It is clearly a content choice coming from what people want and leading to what route creators feel comfortable to create. For sure is a category that needs more attention, who does not need an alternative having an in city scenery with tasks also to do.

Well, I tried a steam-era street running route for a while but found there were too many obstacles, mainly the lack of a proper track asset. I used RTRAX, which was good for the time, but still would not form switches properly, lacked the girder rail, and couldn't do single point switches. and so on. I was trying for a Bush Terminal, Brooklyn look...

VB0tuRS.jpg

OwDQ6mB.jpg

The orange asset is an underground switch throw. The street texture is by yours truly, converted to PBR by ltated27. Overall, it was more effort than it was worth, to me.

Best,
smyers

The closest I ever got was this one (full screen / 1080p):

It's on the Download Station. It originally began as an exercise to see how many times I could use one complex building structure. Consequently the number of dependencies to download is quite small.

But as mentioned above, the difficulty is the lack of appropriate track.

Phil

Well, I tried a steam-era street running route for a while but found there were too many obstacles, mainly the lack of a proper track asset. I used RTRAX, which was good for the time, but still would not form switches properly, lacked the girder rail, and couldn't do single point switches. and so on. I was trying for a Bush Terminal, Brooklyn look...

VB0tuRS.jpg

OwDQ6mB.jpg

The orange asset is an underground switch throw. The street texture is by yours truly, converted to PBR by ltated27. Overall, it was more effort than it was worth, to me.

Best,
smyers
Outstanding as usual Sir.

When I was knee high to a Tadpole my parents would travel to Los Angeles, and there I would see similar areas at the time, old Southern Pacific SW1000 (not sure of exact model) would deliver Produce and a ton of other things in Boxcars.

Would see switches with steel covers that flipped up like a small Door from the Street.

Today there are still old Loading Ramps, but the Rails are pretty much torn up.

And you always knew when a Switcher was around, at night, Flares would be set out on certain streets, like Spring St.

Awe? Memories of past, now long gone, except the cool pictures of street running shown here ☺️

Thank you for sharing.

I remember similar in Baltimore in my earliest years. Tho sometimes the "locomotive" would be a tired vehicle pulling boxcars. Not long after that already infrequent scene stopped, flangeways filled with dirt and eventually the rails disappeared.

Often times tho, they aren't gone and get unentombed when the pavement decays or roadworks is done.

I have not been interested in "tabletop" routes due to a usually small area depicted. This route is a nice size and could easily have many interesting scenarios. How do I get it?

I remember similar in Baltimore in my earliest years. Tho sometimes the "locomotive" would be a tired vehicle pulling boxcars. Not long after that already infrequent scene stopped, flangeways filled with dirt and eventually the rails disappeared.

Often times tho, they aren't gone and get unentombed when the pavement decays or roadworks is done.
Yup. The old Union Railroad tracks still poke up from parts of Causeway Street and Atlantic Avenue in Boston. This was a wholly-owned New Haven railroad that disappeared in the early 70s just after the PC took over the New Haven and used to serve the wharves and factories located along Boston's waterfront and in South Boston. They also ran a rail ferry to the East Boston side as well. There was an article in one of the Model Railroad magazines about it ages ago. The New Haven used GE 44-tonners on the line due to the tight curves.

Back