Steam Turbines?

There has been several experiments like that, none successful though at least to my knowledge

The PRR had a 6-8-6 with separate turbines for foreward and reverse. Didn't last long so I assume the experiment left a lot to be desired. Neat looking loco tho.

Ben

The PRR had a 6-8-6 with separate turbines for foreward and reverse. Didn't last long so I assume the experiment left a lot to be desired. Neat looking loco tho.

Ben

Yes, it was, but as you said, they proved to be inefficient and the idea was eventually dropped.

:D Well here in the good old U.K. we had ..............................

gt3_in_siding.jpg

The GT3 Gas Turbine locomotive.

18000.jpg

Brown Boveri Gas turbine loco no 18000 at Crewe Heritage Centre 18 May 1999.

18100.jpg

The GWR M/Vickers Gas Turbine Locomotive Number 18100.

:D

I can't buy a mobile brick anymore. I have to make do with the talking credit cards. Phones have really gone downhill.

:cool: Claude

Has anyone made or seen any experimental Steam Turbine locomotives like the one shown?
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/upturb/upturb.htm

To my knowledge, the most successful
steamturbine was Chesapeake and Ohio's M1 turbine. there were only three made and there is no survivors. The turbines served in the forties and fifties but then were scrapped.
Overland Models has released one model for 2,399.99.

ihave tried to make a trainz version but it has failed.

To my knowledge, the most successful
steamturbine was Chesapeake and Ohio's M1 turbine. there were only three made and there is no survivors. The turbines served in the forties and fifties but then were scrapped.
Overland Models has released one model for 2,399.99.

ihave tried to make a trainz version but it has failed.

Thank you for that (and for posting on-topic). Actually, I didn't think it was that hard to make a steam turbine loco for Trainz. All you would need is the mesh,skins, and create it as a diesel-electric. Change the exhaust characteristics to a steamer and customize the engine sounds, provided anyone remembers what they sounded like.

Last edited:
The C&O's turbines were not successful. They were, to put it mildly, Total flops.

The locomotives were intended for a run between DC and Cincinatti Ohio. Problem is they never made it the full run without some kind of trouble. The main problem was coal dust. While they had a "tender", unlike most locomotives, this tender only carried water. Fuel was carried in a bunker ahead of the engineer's cab. Sure, the problems were minor and could have been fixed eventually, but the C&O realized that the locomotive was going to cost a ton to keep up. So, they were quietly withdrawn in 1950 and broken up.

The only one that could be said to be even marginally successful, could be the N&W Jawn Henry.

Similar to the C&O locomotive, the Jawn Henry survived 4 years. It too suffered from problems that plagued the C&O locomotive. However the JH actually saw service in some capacity, if only limited. Pressed into helper service, the locomotive proved quite useful, but was also ultimately withdrawn in 1958 and broken up.

Interestingly, the Jawn Henry actually had a water tube boiler, with automatic controls. In theory, the locomotive could operate without the need of a fireman, with the locomotive engineer doing all the work. The controls had problems though, which is to be expected given the level of technology available at the time.

Over the pond though, steam turbine proved itself quite nicely. In fact, in Sweden, two locomotives of one successful design remain. One I am told, is in working condition.

Built in the thirties, these locomotives (2-8-0 locomotives driven by jackshaft) first entered service. They were withdrawn in the 50's when the line they operated was electrified. The two survivors can be found in Grangesberg. (and yes, I know I'm missing an accent there.)

Back