Steam loco exhaust smoke size

Are your updates going to include re-updating the E-specs for the 4-4-0, 4-6-0, and 2-8-0? You did e-specs for me awhile back and they worked great, but they've been acting a little odd since SP1... Can't be sure if it's an issue with the e-specs or the game it's self.

Hi frogpipe,

I am now updating these locos and the especs to build 3.5 I don't think that is quite SP1. I do have a version on my comp. with SP1+HF1,2 and3 but have had so many problems with it that I don't use it much at all. I will try the updated ones in that version and let you know how they go.

Sorry to hear you locos are playing up.

Cheers,
Bill69

Eh, it may be me - or other built in loco's not behaving realistically.

They seemed to loose some power (although when I mentioned this before, other's expressed that it was more accurate (?))

And they seem to loose steam volume very quickly. By which I mean if I drive them right away, no problem really, but if it sits for awhile while I'm switching cars with another loco or something, when I get to Ben's loco I see full boiler pressure AT FIRST, but once I've moved a few feet the pressure drops to almost nothing.

I'm told that it's because I need to open the blower, but that doesn't seem to build any pressure back up...

Hi frogpipe,

I find the blower does nothing except make the loco use more coal. If you want to leave one standing for a while you have to open the injector about four clicks and stoke up the boiler to about 118% seems to work for me.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Hi frogpipe,

The first loco I have updated runs great in build 49922 but I have just imported it to build 58414 and find it loses boiler pressure.
I don't seem to be able to build up the pressure unless I stop and wait for it to build up. To me it seems as though N3V have done something to stop the continual blowing of the safety valves that a lot of users complain about. I think that might be the reason your locos are loosing steam.
That would be typical, fix one thing and break something else.
I will have to do more research to find how to overcome the pressure drop.

Cheers,
Bill69

p.s. I did get a warning about the shadow.bmp is a uniform color but that is easily fixed.

Thanks Bill for the help. I made some changes and it seems to have made an improvement. For those following this tread what I did was change the "maxsize" tag from 10,10 to 3,3 and the "mass" tag from 10,10 to 6,6. The problem is not eliminated but lessened enough for me to live with and I have no more of the flashing. Thanks again Bill and I'll be checking out Ben's site for your updates.

Back