Starting point for a Newbie

Lancsman

I am new to train simming, and have been looking through various websites & forums to get an understanding of which 'Sims' offer what function etc.

As ever each offering seems to have pluses & minuses, and offer varying degrees of UK content / areas and timeframes.

I suspect that I will want to have more than one Sim to enjoy the widest spread, and have already been tinkering a little with MSTS (OK no swear words). I am enjoying it but have a few frustrations, particularly in terms of the integration of road activity, which is where Trainz seems to perhaps have an edge.

I am a bit vary of jumping in at TC3 level (due to some of the comments on the forums), and m also confused by the array of different Trainz offerings around at the moment.

I have spotted the following package, and would appreciate some advice as to whether this is a good start point for a newbie.

'Trainz - The Complete Collection', which claims to include :

Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006:
Over 25 complete routes
More than 50 immersive Driver activities
Communicate online with other users in-game with Trainz iChat
Expand your collection with over 80,000 additional items available to download free
Trainz Routes 1-4 for TRS2006:
20 new routes
Trainz Railroad Simulator 2004:
The game that set a completely new standard in the virtual railroading experience
Play the role of Builder to Driver to Dispatcher, exploring your creations and those of others
Lose yourself in Trainz as you continue to develop your bustling rail network
Ultimate Trainz Collection:
Packed with content
Trainz Railroad Simulator
Tons of special Bonus Content including new locos, new scenery objects plus new scenarios
Trainz Paintshed:
Paintshed allows you the freedom to design and create your very own unique railroad paint schemes and authentically repaint your favourite trains from throughout the world
Included is an easy-to-use 5 step paint program with locomotives and freight cars primed and ready to paint
With Trainz Paintshed you'll have a yard full of customised locos and rolling stock before you know it
UNQUOTE

I was wondering what the experts thought of this as a 'starter package' and what guidance would they offer as a sequence of installation etc.

I have a particular interest in integrating rail / tram and road aspects and have seen some of the excellent tram projects, plus what seems too good to be true in the work done on roads and even operating buses. This is really something I would like.

Both MSTS and Trainz seem to be promising the 'world', some time soon, but I have become convinced that all 'new' software should be left well alone for at least 6 months after release - so that the bugs can be sorted before we mere users cut loose !!

One last question - Is there a way to see what is availableon the Trainz download station - without having a sign one code ???
I would just like to see what is available.

Thanks and regards
John

Hi John
O4 or 06 are certainly a good starting point trains classics three will give you the Settle Carlisle route and more than a good hint as to what is to come in the future
The download station contains thousands of items all free to members of the community
Your best bet is to take a good look at the screenshot section to get a good overview as to what Trains is capable of
Regards Bob V

John.

I'm using Trainz since the first day it came out on the market and never stopped editing my route since. I downloaded and bought lot of content to make my route even more realistic. I gave lot of demonstrations to public with Trainz on the road where we show Trainz in a trains exposition.

Either you wait for TS2009 or only stick for TRS2006. You don't need more than that. TRS2006 is an upgraded version of TRS2004 and for sure by the time you will learn how to use it correctly, TS2009 will have passed the 6 months you are talking about for bugs issues.

I played MSTS for 6 months editing existing routes before switching to Trainz and beleive me, Trainz is much more flexible and you will enjoy it more. There is no limitations in Trainz. You can do all your imagination suggest you. With download station, you will be able to find lot of UK stuff as I found tons of canadian contents for my own purposes.

Honestly, TRS2006 out of the box is not really exciting because of no wheels 2D animation, not very elaborated rolling stock, but once you start downloading 3D, new rolling stock, you can make it really real and its easy to do.

Andre.

John,

Although I use TRS2006 and enjoy it, as a newbie, I would suggest the purchase of TRS2004 !
By the time you have learned route building, downloading, etc., TS2009 should be released ?
You will then be in a position to decide for yourself if you would like to upgrade ?

My thoughts ---DLR

Depending on how much money you want to spend, I would suggest you either go with the latest available at the moment (you can download as many routes as you like once you have the program, don't focus on how many it's loaded with), then check on 2009 later to see if you want that too, as deelare says.
Or, wait a couple of months and get the new 2009 (but, if you're like me, you probably can't wait that long)
Whatever you do, stick with Trainz, cause you won't find that many "builders-features" anywhere else. And don't let all the whining in this forum (we're good at that) discourage you, Trainz is tons of fun, no matter how you play it, and which version.

Greeting from a recent newbie

PS: I have 2006 only, and love it! It's a snap to build routes in, as well as assets.

Last edited:
I am a bit vary of jumping in at TC3 level (due to some of the comments on the forums), and m also confused by the array of different Trainz offerings around at the moment.

Which comments are making you wary John? perhaps we can answer your concerns.

If you buy Trainz Collection you will have both TRS2006 and TRS2004 so will be able to decide for yourself which you think is best.

Of course you could go the whole hog and get Collection and TC3 and have everything ;)

Mike.

i dont want to put you off trainz, i enjoy messing around in surveyor but be aware it is not a sim for drivers, but if you want to get creative and build routes then theres no better sim

cheers

Gav

Mike10

I didn't know TC3 was including both TRS2004 and 06. To me its the best compromise for John.

Andre.

I'd suggest TC3 plus TRS2006. To be honest the cost of both isn't that high even together.

With MSTS and some other sims you are buying a package of content and game engine.

With Trainz think of it more as you are buying a game engine and the community creates the content most of which is available for free on the DLS but on a number of other web sites as well.

TC3 has some nice rolling stock, Paul's vans with animated opening doors and handbrakes are kind of things I like to see. The steam loco sounds have been improved as well. However even though you get the latest game engine it's really just an updated revision of the TRS2006 game engine so the six month wait whilst they get the bugs out doesn't really apply the changes aren't that major in terms of code just refinement.

What you need from the TRS2006 DVDs are the .ja files or built in content just copy them into the TC3 folders.

What's available have a look in the screenshots bit or browse the web site below my signature, that has a fair bit of UK content.

Payware isn't as big in Trainz as the other sims because the DLS is so good and relitively cheap but having said that go and have a look at
http://www.trainzone.co.nz/
I don't think any one has regretted buying it.

Cheerio John

I've tried TRS2004 and TC3. They both offer plenty of headaches, but I think they are much better than MSTS (nice looking, but very hard work), very cheap, and very rewarding if you persevere. The only thing not included in the package is a 30 hour day. Perhaps that will come with TRS2009....

Lancsman, welcome to our humble forum.......
You don't state which type of trains you are interested in, British I presume ???
So, are you into the diesel/electric types, or steam locos as well as trams ???
And are these the modern trams, or the old-style clang-clangers, like you get on Blackpool prom ??
One thing you will find though, and that is the helpfulness of the Trainz community which is better than the game IMHO, and there's lots of us reading the forums daily from around the world, and we're a fairly docile bunch really, so ask any questions you want, and you're sure to get a reply......
Oh, and one last thing, this game is very addictive, so say goodbye to your friends and family, you won't have time for them once you get playing Trainz......:p

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Family? Friends?

rofl.gif

Oh, and I forgot, welcome from me too, Lancsman.

(To the OP) what nobody here has mentioned here is the power of your PC. Generally speaking you need a good 256MB graphics card to run any version of Trainz and preferably 1GB of RAM.In order to run TC3 the consensus of opinion seems to be that you need a 512MB graphics card and 2GB of RAM.

Folks,
Firstly, Many many thanks for all your notes and welcomes to the forum, it is much appreciated.

Thanks also for the various pointers to sites etc where I can find examples and more information.

I should have perhaps defined my interests in mjore detail - so to try and answer / expand on some of the notes:

Born and grew up around Manchester (UK) and very much interested in that area. Main interest would be 1960s, and onwards - although moved away from the area in mid 1970s. I think we are all fascinated by the time and places we first gained our interest in trainz / transport etc. The variety of operations and links across the country from that area were justa joy (even through rose tinted goggles), and I have always wanted to do something about modelling that time and region.

Now live in Hampshire (Southern England) - or on the Costa Solent as we like to describe it !!! - Not today - more like good old Manchester with the rain coming down.

Tram interest in mainly 'old' as in clang-clang - like the man siad - a la Blackpool, although I am getting quite excited by some of the new systems. I just don't think we implement our new transport systems that well in the UK, and it is always a compromise. I put it down to the short-termism of the planners, and the less than compliant nature of our city centres. Oh, and add the deep reluctance of the Brits to cope with changing of transport modes during a journey. (Sorry, did not mean to rant)

Big interest in buses as well, and the Manchester area had such variety, so very much attracted by the work I have seen so far in Trainz.

As far as route-building etc I have an idea of trying to develop a section of route in Manchester - from the 60s, that will include both rail and road, nothing too complicated at first, just want to excercise the techniques (and my own limitations). After that I thought it might be quite nice to move the route forward through the decades - maybe implementing progress in the way I would like to have seen it, rather than what eventually was the reality.

Thanks for all the pointers re which release I should start on.
I really like the promise of TC3, but several of the comments on this and other forums have just made me a little wary, at this stage. Plus the latest comment re PC 'power' may just be a limiting factor. At the moment I only have a 1Gb machine, and not likely to be changed for a little while yet.

So it looks like Trainz 2006 to start off with. In fact I have just ordered the package I described at the head of this thread - found it for £2.71 on Amazon. Can't be bitten for that price.

This note is long enough as it is so will not bore folk with any more. I will wait until I get the package and come back if I have any more questions - although any specific pointers re installation may be useful.
Thanks again everybody

regards
John

What are your PC specs? It's the large route in TC3 that is happier with 2 gigs of memory and normally it's a fairly quick and cheap job to upgrade the memory. Just open the case and drop the memory modules in.

Cheerio John

Thanks Guys, but already done that, and memory is at maxx for this 5-6 year old machine.

Have a few other prioirities before splashing out on new machine, so will have to make do with what I have. It's a left-over from a mainly home office environment, and 'game' playing was not a priority - God I would have got nothing done.

It is running some of the MSTS tram routes etc quite well, and I have been clearing out a lot of the 'old' data that I do not need anymore onto back-ups - just in case I have to refer back to it. A bit of work to do to thin down the photo collection, but again that will get moved off to CDs etc.

I do however feel an additional 'hard drive' coming on, and will probably go with an external one, portability as much as anything.

Is there any problems/performance implcations with using an external drive for all the Trainz files etc ???

Regards

john

Thanks Guys, but already done that, and memory is at maxx for this 5-6 year old machine.

Have a few other prioirities before splashing out on new machine, so will have to make do with what I have. It's a left-over from a mainly home office environment, and 'game' playing was not a priority - God I would have got nothing done.

It is running some of the MSTS tram routes etc quite well, and I have been clearing out a lot of the 'old' data that I do not need anymore onto back-ups - just in case I have to refer back to it. A bit of work to do to thin down the photo collection, but again that will get moved off to CDs etc.

I do however feel an additional 'hard drive' coming on, and will probably go with an external one, portability as much as anything.

Is there any problems/performance implcations with using an external drive for all the Trainz files etc ???

Regards

john

go to crucial.com and run their scanner.

I can't think of any 6 year old machine that was limited to 1 gig of memory.

Dropping the memory in does of course depend on dropping it so it falls into the slot and you have to have plenty of height so that gravity provides enough force to snap the memory toggles into place when it lands.

Cheerio John

Back