Starting point for a Newbie

John,

Exactly what I did - to find the maximum memory, and it certainly works.
The PC is a Sony RS222 - and is definately limited to 1 meg.

Not to worry - I think the 'ballpark' is about to get redefined what with Trainz 2009 and beyond, and no doubt the demands of MSTS2 come end of 2009.

As I say, lots of other priorities at the moment - this one has to soldier on a bit longer yet.

Thanks again for the suggestion though
Regards
John

Lancsman,

One other bit of advice, if you purchase a used edition, and it has been
previously registered, you will not be able to re-register it !
This will not allow you to use the Download Station (DS).

Just a thought ---DLR

One remark: When we first got the TRS2006, we ran it on a 2.6Ghz/256MB PC w integrated graphics (just a small office PC), untill we got the new toy (3.13Ghz/4Gig Ram/512 MB nVidia Geforce 8800 GT). It ran just fine on the old PC, just cannot run any BIG routes. So you can get started just fine with driving and building and learning on your present PC, you just have to stay away from the big layouts.
Have fun!

Thanks folks for various pieces of advice, all duly noted.

I had held off responding to these pearls of wisdom in the expectation that my pack would arrive quite quickly.

Well - Lo and behold
- The Good News - it arrived today
- The Bad News - They sent entirely the wrong product !!!

Just about to re-pack it and return. I have also burned their ears in an e-mail and requested they ship the correct item immediately - without waiting for the return, otherwise I can see it being another couple of weeks. What a bummer.

So the wait goes on - although I am continuing to read the forums and pick up more info.

I will no doubt be back when things get moving again

Thanks again

Regards
John

Hi Deeelare,

I ordered the pack 'The Ultimate Collection' which is supposed to have UTC/2004/2006, plus some bonus content, and Paint Shed in.

I was a little wary of TC3 'newness' based on some of the comments, and from what I have been looking at in the DLS, most I would want initially would appear to be satified by 2004/2006.

By the time I get to grips with that lot and sort out in my mind what I would like to add, it may well be that 2009 &/or beyond will be on the shelfs. Remember I am a newbie and just wanted as solid a starting point as possible to see whether Trainz fits my interests.

Regards
John

Hi Deeelare,

I ordered the pack 'The Ultimate Collection' which is supposed to have UTC/2004/2006, plus some bonus content, and Paint Shed in.

I was a little wary of TC3 'newness' based on some of the comments, and from what I have been looking at in the DLS, most I would want initially would appear to be satified by 2004/2006.

By the time I get to grips with that lot and sort out in my mind what I would like to add, it may well be that 2009 &/or beyond will be on the shelfs. Remember I am a newbie and just wanted as solid a starting point as possible to see whether Trainz fits my interests.

Regards
John

Download TC3, pick up the updates from the TC3 web site http://www.trainzclassics.co.uk/ then you have everything that works together with the most efficent stable game engine. Play with what is there then think about adding items from the DLS. When your TRS2006 arrives just copy in the .ja files to get the built in TRS2006 content.

Cheerio John

Mike10,
No, not ordered from Auran.
Ordered through Amazon supplier based in Channel Islands.

Sent the 'wrong' package back today, and blasted them again via e-mail, as their generic reply to yesterdays complaint was to merely re-quote their returns policy. Agh !!!!

'Customer Service' is clearly an oxymoron. !!!!

Still, now got a busy week ahead so do not expect not too much time to play, even if the replacement arrives soon.

JohnWhelan,
Take your point, but really opted for the 'cheap and cheerful' route to assess just what the basics can do and to see whether it fits with what I think I want to be doing ...... if that makes sense. So far though the 'cheerful' element is a bit lacking.

Hey Ho, another day will dawn and with it fresh hope (or is that hype)

Regards

No, that's fine, please order from where ever you like.

I was just concerned that I may have messed one up, that's all.

Mike.

Folks,

Just to close this one down.
Have been trying to get resolution to my problem getting delivery of this, as per previous entries in this thread. ...... BUT

I guess I should have gone to 'Specsavers'.

The supplier has pretty well ignored my e-mails other to confirm they received the return of the wrong product, and that they have processed a refund ...... which I did not want. I just wanted the correct product.

Three weeks on and no product. Grrrrrrr.

Company in question (and hopefully soon in bankcruptcy) is :

SELECTCHEAPER.COM ..... based in Guernsey (Channel Islands).

Have stung them in feedback and lodged formal complaint to Amazon UK - not sure what good it will do, but saves the cat from another kicking !!

Hi Ho - Had hoped to take the software away with me this weekend, and enjoy getting to know some of the basics. Never mind, once we areback from the hols I will order one from a more reliable source.

I can only warn people on this forum to stay away from doing business with this company for anything.

Regards

john

Back