South East ,Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at the moment in addition to my R......ks work, a month or two ago I kicked off a jumbo Russian based route in Surveyor on a whim based on the railway line that used to run past Chernobyl. It's a massive undertaking (some 180km) but I wanted to give all the Russian stock a decent long route to run. However it's such a behemoth it is best to break off and work on something smaller from time to time, returning as and when the mood takes me. So Howth tramway could find a nice little slot in one of those gaps (to keep this on topic!).

Ah, Howth, I am just layng track from the main line junction to Howth as a wee change from further up the main line (by scores of miles!). You've done a great job keeping us on track!

Sorry I havent been on this for a while, my computer went a bit dodgy...Yeah I didn't realise the signature was that big but its gone now...Dublin would be brilliant to have, especially North Wall, that'll be interesting and the Navan branch with Tara Mines and Platin Cement Works, I'll just be brilliant...At the moment I just went crazy with TransDEM and now I have so much to do but I have all the track layout and roads done but I still need to add more houses and all the detail. I have on one layout Enniscorthy to Rosslare Harbour, Rosslare to Waterford, Macmine Junction to Waterford, Waterford to Tramore, Muine Bheag(Bagnalstown) to Palace East, Kilkenny to Muine Bheag, Kilkenny to Waterford and Waterford to Kilmeadan...So yeah its going to take ages but I might upload them in sections. But the main idea was to have copies of it and have each one in a different era Example: DSER,GSWR-GSR-CIE-IR-IE each showing how much Ireland and Irish Railways have developed and changed over each era...But thats if I get it completed!

Hello FiachrIR,

Just to keep you in the picture.

Having laid the tack from Newry over the Border right down to where Dublin will eventually be for me (!), I have the approaches to Connolly Station and tracks around the area. Approaches to Connolly was a real headache I can tell you! On top of that the junction and line going west towards Heuston but only a far as the edge of the board. The line beyond Connolly to Amiens Street is in and the other night spent a while putting down the DART Depot at Clontarf station. Doing that gives the opportunity of expansion west and southeast of Dublin for someone in the future.

Thought I was being ambitious doing the NI Rly but the empty end at Newry was frustrating hence laying track all the way to Dundalk (station in), Drogheda (station in) and Dublin. Will still include the Navan and Howth branches as they are off the Enterprise route and I have no plans to do anything west or further past Dublin as feel what I am doing is large enough and even more so living in Glasgow. If I feel it is too much then I could skimp on scenery as am well beyond my original intention and I am not sure as to the extent of real interest in what I am doing or from people over there. Oddly I got more from than this forum. Maybe less Trainzers across he Irish Sea?! Anyway not to be distracted, I will keep plodding on for those who may want to see a big Irish dimension for both the NIR and IR.

Well I would be interested in expanding your line to Greystones because Bray Head would look brilliant with help from TransDEM. What are you using to run on this route rjhowie?, as far as I know there isn't a 201 Class on the Download Station? Well at a glance there doesn't seem to be many Irish Trainzers but yet according to the download station 98 people have downloaded the Domsarto's Silver A Class which was released only three days ago so there is people out there, No idea what they're doing but they are out there!!

Haven't got to that stage yet FiachraIR. As indicated had only intended doing the whole of the NIR but then decided to add the line to Dublin, Howth and the freight only one to Navan (I understand that IR's hope to make that a passneger line again and re-open stations has been shelved for now). Putting in the start of the line west of Dublin and having as mentioned the line beyond Connolly to over the river gives all sorts of possibilities. I do understand that there is only a limited number of IR trains (there are also NIR ones) but can say that my intention is to widen things beyond what I have done so far so moving out beyond Dublin gives all sorts of advancement as well as that Enterprise bit. Unfortunately there is nothing in the Enterprise livery either. Nothing stopping folk from doing their own thing of course however at the same time considering what I have done so far and what intend to do opens up a very, very great extension of Trainz in an Irish dimension.

It took me ages to do the Belfast - Londonderry long route and this stretch to the south is another challenge but will in the temporary end give 6 lines in Ulster and 3 in Eire (as a start) but as you will know what an opportunity to go even further spreading out southeast and west, etc from Dublin. ! Hope you will agree that this would then see a large layout and what has been done so far is the longest effort on Trainz. Regards from the centre of the Universe (Glasgow of course!).

Just so you know, I would love to see all of Ireland's railways as a single map, there was a steam era one (not complete) that was reasonably sized made for MSTS, found it on uktrainsim.

Buddieboy, I checked that out and I'm actually jealous of MSTS!!! Trainz really needs some Irish Steam, theres a few british engines that look very similiar and would only need a change of number, name and logo, I would do the reskining but no matter how many tutorials I read every asset I reskin comes up faulty! I actually think Trainz doesnt want it to happen! I cant believe MSTS made the Velencia Harbour Branch!! Its one of the most scenic routes apparently, and Ireland had a very extensive railway system at one point so if they were gonna have every route on one map I say the hard drive will explode

Well Buddyboy good to hear that

Having done the 6 lines in N. Ireland (including one mothballed for now) and going to add at least 3 in the South then I would think we are well on the way to a new horizon for the island of Ireland. Having went well beyond what I originally planned to do and not being easy living in Scotland it opens all sorts of possibilities. Working on the project I have been also determined to see that the trackage I have so far in what will be central Dublin will also have the other lones that radiate out beyond that. Should I feel by then I have done enough then my layout can be extended from what is there to anywhere in Ireland. What I am trying to do is fill a gap and it is a mighty big gap and what has been laid down so far and what will be in turn should produce the largest thing for Ireland on Trainz. My original progress is on my site but it is my intention to change the name to include the Irish Rail I am doing south of the Border. It is my intention to (health allowing) and better weather to fly over to Belfast for a long needed break then go down to Dublin for the day to suss out Connolly, Amiens Street and Heuston Stations. In addtion I also need to see the new NIR Depot layout in Belfast as well. Just shows how Trainz captures you, eh?

Present site below.........

northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com

An update on my route..............Theres nothing.........basically I had alot done between Wexford and Enniscorthy and a fair bit in Waterford but what happened was I clicked on New Route on the Surveyor Page and for some strange reason it replaced EVERYTHING!! Including that route, which I thought was very painfull!!! So thats it, back to square one!!

Have you saved all your back-up files if not do it now then, install a new TS12 or copy the one you have now into a new partition ,drive ,or file if you don't have extra drives and reload all your back-up files from your user file in TS12, by this I mean by using the export method, not copy and paste .

The first rule of Trainz is backup everything and often....

Keep repeating this to your self at least three times every time you start-up trainz and you won't go far wrong.

But now that you have lost a route you won't be doing that again. It's a hard lesson to learn but it's a powerful one.

I have been catching up on scnery around the 2 lines that run west from Connolly. Scenery north of the canal goes as far as the junction before Phoenix park and as I have said Heston Station platforsms and track in as well.This has taken an age and my central Dublin tracks all being down and the line beyond Connolly to the southeast goes across river as far as the next station. That in itself would give the chance for a Trainzer to extend to Bray. On Sunday at my next slog on my Irish project I must include a time to get that dashed slideshow up of the Connolly - Howth route and the parts of Dublin I have been doing.

When I am done I will have completed 9 lines from the Emerald Isle from the centre of the universe here in Glasgow. Including the 3 IR routes and the radiating tracks in place at Dublin this gives a wide and open chance to extend to any direction. I will intimate the Howth Line pictures on my Irish News page.

It has struck me that we are now going to have two modern routes re Dublin-Drogheda. No reason of course why not whilst at the same time odd when you consider how much i have already built on the island doing the whole of the NIR and last years stating I was going to do at least 3 I.R. lines. No harm to what PFX is doing as i am sure he will do well but at present I can run a train all the way from Londonderry to Dublin (!). I look at it in a light-hearted way and now there will be a second copy of my Drogheda-Navan. Haha If I set my sights on yet another IR route will the same happen? Haha' :D

No harm to what PFX is doing as i am sure he will do well but at present I can run a train all the way from Londonderry to Dublin (!). I look at it in a light-hearted way and now there will be a second copy of my Drogheda-Navan. Haha If I set my sights on yet another IR route will the same happen? Haha' :D

No harm to you rj, but I find the tone of your message a tad patronising. I don't belittle you or your work here and fully expect you should afford me the same courtesy please.

Last edited:
Oh, oh, hi there - sense of humour seems restricted there pfx! Patronising, me? Never! Patronising is a bit over the top dear emigre!

If anything my satirical mind has from what I can recall now produced the first time you have actually said here that what I am doing is worthwhile. Couldn't I wonder on that especially? Eachy-peachy I think! Considering the amount I have done for the island so far I have no probs with you doing two of the routes I am doing as that is your right and was passingly amused. Of course I know you are not going to do everything I am and we also know how difficult it is sticking to something but I am determined that the Trainz world will have a large contribution from the centre of the Universe (Glasgow of course) for Ireland north and south. When I have completed my 3 IR routes and with the NIR done that will then be uploaded and with all the trackage in Dublin allows me to either go further or allow others to do it based on my project as I have the radiating lines in place for folk to go where they want. Keep up the practical support it is needed.

Regards.
rj

Such an unwarranted and obloquious response but it's nothing less than I would have expected. As you're incapable of common civility, any further engagement serves no purpose, so let's just leave it at that avoid hijacking this thread anymore than it has been already.

Last edited:
Eh? You obviously have no sense of humour or sense of balance. Satire is foregone and exercising some patronising yourself unfortunately. For all your interest in rail over there you have studiously ignored me even though to date I have built more than anyone else - indeed kept me at a distance. From the past I recall a rather intolerant attitude which I just let lie but your thoughts bordered on the arrogant. One hopes you will not fall into conceit and self-importance. My last reply was far from being anything more than honest and I made it plain that it was my intention to put Ireland north and south on the Trainz world map which is of coursde more important than a short fuse! All the effort I have made and making means nothing to you because you and I disagreed ages ago on non-Trainz matters (although it was also on the Forums). Instead you are being a little uppity accusing me of hijacking the thread which betrays a superior attitude. I am doing Ireland whether you like it or not and will go on any thread I feel inclined to comment on so lthat's life so to speak. Where did I lie? In all I have done north re the NIR and the IR you have studiously ignored me ignored me when I am on the forums as if i don't exist and is a little petty. Personally I have no wish to fall out with you whilst at the same time I have no intention of bugging off any thread on Irish rail because of your temperament or passing silliness. Keeping me at the end of a barge pole has been more important than supporting what is being done. The fact that my project means little to you betrays much pfx and that is rather sad. If you come off your high horse and when you see my eventual slide show shortly that would be fine and make up for the matter of you being a little snidy about me having the nerve to do what I am doing?! And I didn't lie when I said you had totally ignored my contributions on the forums which tells everyone something very obvious. Being from Glasgow the gritty city, I am no pushover either! Last year I in fact wished you well and still do whilst still maintaining the right to say what i think on any forum thread.

For now to the rest of the forum if I was in the same short frame of mind I could just give up the damn project and everyone loses out including me having spent so much time doing what I have. Basically, I have no wish for us to be at loggerheads as I pointed out that the Irish project was more important than who is building it. However I have no intention of getting huffy puffy and will leave that to others as there are those who are very supportive of my work. You don't own the threads and neither do I and I will put in comments as and when it suits. Being basically a reasonable bloke even when I was serving on the Bench, I have no wish for us to be in some limbo or distant niggling. When you see what I have done to date re my southern adventures over the Border it is my hope that you will at least acknowledge what I am trying to do. Obviously your routes will not effect me as I am in a wider picture. And before I forget to you folks who did tell me of your support my thanks and encourages me to stick to the build. All going well ibetween regular health issues the slideshow must be on my immediate next step.

Once again pfx, like in 2014 like in 2013, I wish you well and hope you manage to complete your effort.

I won't waste my time or energy addressing that.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back