Sound

lonnieguthrie

From reading the forums I know there is some kind of sound problem in TRS2006 that has yet to be resolved but I'm not sure what it is. My problem is with volume of the horn. Can just barely hear it from inside cab or outside of cab. Is there a file where I can turn up volume on horn sound only or is that the the problem everyone is talking about? Thanks!
Lonnie

I've said it before, I don't want to say it again, but if the volume is to quiet, immediatly click 'H' after you hit it once. That SHOULD work, but if it doesn't, try it over. If it's still too quiet, then the creator made it like that. There's a whole bunch of config.txt changes, but I currently have neither the patience or typing energy to tell you. Theres' thousands of others who can tell... (Literally!)

On this same issue, I have TRS 2006 with the SP1 update, now version 3092. I find the loco engine sound cuts in and out, sometimes disappearing altogether, when notching up/down while driving any of the diesel locos. Does anyone know of a fix for this please?
Cheers,
Fender849. :)

MOOJGOO,
I had already searched the forums and have tried hitting H repeatedly with no success. Right now I can't even find the sound config to tinker with. I don't have the game yet but it was shipped last week from AUS. I have been using the Demo. Sorry didn't mean to presume upon your time or energy. I don't know if I will post here anymore but If I do please do not answer me if you don't have the time or energy.
Lonnie

From what I have read, Auran doesn't seem to want to recognize that there are sound issues. All I've been able to find are claims that the sound is designed for "realism" and that what we get is, in fact, "realistic."

I haven't spent a lot of time on real locos, but I have been fortunate to get some... and I don't recall any of them having intermittent sound. I remember smooth, continous engine rumble. I also recall that when the engineer pulled the horn, everyone knew it, especially those of us in the cab. And I don't think I was able to hear the bell of a grade crossing better than the one on the engine. Some of the sound variances are supposed to be 'reflections' off of nearby scenery items... I think this probably happens some in real life, though probably not off of a bush or road sign.

Clearly, there are sound issues in Trainz. I'm not sure why Auran sound needs to be more 'realistic' than Microsoft sound? I was really kind of satisfied with MSTS sound (even if it doesn't meet Auran's standards of realism.)

I for one would be much more happy with a little less 'realism' and a lot more continuity.

MOOJGOO,
I had already searched the forums and have tried hitting H repeatedly with no success. Right now I can't even find the sound config to tinker with. I don't have the game yet but it was shipped last week from AUS. I have been using the Demo. Sorry didn't mean to presume upon your time or energy. I don't know if I will post here anymore but If I do please do not answer me if you don't have the time or energy.
Lonnie

It's OK, I was typing near at night, so I was tired. Besides, I don't REALLY know what changes you need to make.

One thing that bugs me (regarding sound) In the Hawes junction runs the rain sound is louder than the engines (and it seems that it is ALWAYS raining) That is not very realistic. Who cares about listening to rain hitting the ground?

Don

From what I have read, Auran doesn't seem to want to recognize that there are sound issues. .
Not true...Auran does know that there are sound issues and have said so....they've also noted that while some improvements were made with SP1, it was not a complete fix and there won't be one...at least for TRS06....what you have read is users who fail to understand this....:cool:

On this same issue, I have TRS 2006 with the SP1 update, now version 3092. I find the loco engine sound cuts in and out, sometimes disappearing altogether, when notching up/down while driving any of the diesel locos. Does anyone know of a fix for this please?
Cheers,
Fender849. :)

This is part of the sound issue that TRS06 has and there is no fix for it planned just yet and the guy who wrote the sound engine left/moved on to other things just after TRS04 came out.

Hopefully soon, Auran will crack it.

regards

Harry

Lonnieguthrie, there is a slight fix and since reading about and trying it I now have full sound all round 95% of the time instead of once in a blue moon. The answer lies with the windows sound settings hardware accelorator, just bring it down one notch and see if that helps, some have had to bring it lower but one notch fixed it for me, I used to get nothing at all after 5 mins play.
P.S. Please pay no attention to the real bad attitude and unnessisary nasty replies from one certain member on this thread, it does not in any way reflect the very good nature of the vast majority of this forum who im sure would also be upset if you were to take it to heart and feel not wanted.
Good luck and let me know how you get on with your full version. :)

I have tried that and it did help some. I got my full version yesterday with SP1 and the sound is much much better. I'm very happy with with the game. The surveyor and all the other features are great. I am having some problem with the download program but I'll get it figured out. Mistakes I'm making I think. There seems to be a steep learning curve on setting up sessions and driver rules signals and such but that will give me plenty to learn and mess with for a while.

Lonnieguthrie, there is a slight fix and since reading about and trying it I now have full sound all round 95% of the time instead of once in a blue moon. The answer lies with the windows sound settings hardware accelorator, just bring it down one notch and see if that helps, some have had to bring it lower but one notch fixed it for me, I used to get nothing at all after 5 mins play. :)

Ok stupid question time.... where is 'windows sound settings hardware accelerator'

I should know where it is but I can't work out where it is as it might solve a problem with my auntie's french computer and solve my TRS sound problem at the same time.

You have no idea how wierd it is to try and sort out a problem in windows in a language you don't understand... Even Dos is in French!!!!

regards

Harry

Ok stupid question time.... where is 'windows sound settings hardware accelerator'

I should know where it is but I can't work out where it is as it might solve a problem with my auntie's french computer and solve my TRS sound problem at the same time.

You have no idea how wierd it is to try and sort out a problem in windows in a language you don't understand... Even Dos is in French!!!!

regards

Harry

Try this:
  1. Open Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel.
  2. On the Audio tab, under , in the Default device box, click the device you want to use, and then click Advanced.
  3. In the Advanced Audio Properties dialog box, configure performance settings for sound hardware acceleration and audio rate conversions.
Oh and yes I DO know how weird it is to try to work on a PC loaded with Windows in a different language! It's even MORE fun when the actual keyboard is laid out totally different...:eek:

Harry, run dxdiag and it's the 4th tab from the left. Setting the acceleration to standard seem to help a little.
Norm

Back