Some thoughts on Trainz AI and the use of portals

Padster

Returned...
I have been experimenting with the AI in Trainz and have come up with some good results. Here's how I did it.

Firstly, in order to have successful AI operations, you really need to treat the AI system as a separate entity from the track you intend driving on yourself. In other words, avoid the AIs path merging with yours. This is because occasionally, computer controlled trains will go bonkers and end up routed down the wrong track! The way to get round this is a simple portal to portal set up for the AI, with maybe a few stations inbetween but NO sidings or lines diverging. This then enables you to give simple commands that the computer can live with and not stuff up the entire operation when its little brain gets overwhelmed with too many trackmark directions. Do this, and you can have trains running successfully at two minute intervals on the same track. It is essential, when using portals in this way that you also have the corresponding driver for each train added to the driver list in surveyor. If you fail to do this, the train will arrive at the IN portal and simply wait outside it.

Secondly, signalling is ESSENTIAL. You must have the right number of signals (sounds obvious doesn't it?). It is better to have too many rather than too few. I must admit, I get a kick just sitting at the trackside watching the signal slowly change from red to amber and finally to green as the train approaches. After much trial and error, I have got a signalling system that I am happy with, and which is safe!

Best wishes,
Padster

I agree with what you say Padster, I use portals for running trams at 2 minutes intervals on my tram, and now trolley bus layout, but without signals. I use unportals to emit trams from the depot and do a run around the layout and return to the depot. If in a tram when it is about to be consumed I hop on a tram going the other way and continue my ride.

Doug.

Like you say you have to look at The AI from the other side of the fence,
But with carfull track layout it can be done without isolating them from your own activities

I have just finished a small layout ready to use on a iPortal cooperation with 7 other guys
I layed the main double line first and the iPorts and Normal Ports at each end ( the normal ports are for me to setup some traffic while waiting for someone to send or request someting)

After this I started inserting the deviations into the goods yard and the Industriel site
you have to go along the finishe line and think what could go wrong here and solve that problem before you pass to the next, use track markers/signals/one way markers and triggers,
If the sognals are correct, and trackmarks and triggers for the AI trains all should go well
Yesterday I had 9 AI trains running ( 4 pass/stopping units 2 pass using the through line at the station and 3 goods units )
the 3 goods units were serving 3 different industries, arrinving with loade wagons, placing them in sidings, picking up loaded one and departing,)
during this time using shunters I loaded the wagons and put them in sidings ready for the next round,

I run for 3 hours without a stoppage

so it can be done .

It is essential, when using portals in this way that you also have the corresponding driver for each train added to the driver list in surveyor. If you fail to do this, the train will arrive at the IN portal and simply wait outside it.

Best wishes,
Padster

You dont need the driver in the driver list. When you select the driver in the portal selection he shows when the train is produced and if you have the drive to IN portal command as the last command he will drive into the portal.

Back