Some info about a really big locomotive...

Having just seen this thread may I just assure GP_38_2 that the Winterthur Meyer articulated snowplough was a serious item of hardware used on the Bernina Railway which climbed to 7500ft (and they DO have snow in Switzerland :) ). It was built in 1910 since at that time, although the railway was electified, the electric locos were not poweful enough. A photo of it in action and more details can be found in Articulated Locomotives of the World by Donald Binns (Bradford Barton 1975)

UP FEF were numbered in as 800-class; UP's FEF 844 was renumbered 8444 from 1962 to 1989 because UP classified some Diesels as 800-class . The old lady, however, outlasted them :D and now proudly bears its original number again. There is a SD-70 ACe numbered #8444 to honour this number.

So we choose #8000 for the Huge as it was an unassigned number range at the date if it could have been "built".

Yellowstones, as far as I know, were ore-haulers and UP had none of them.

P.S. My nick on the TrainZItalia forum is "UP844" :D :D :D

Yellowstone 2-8-8-4

Did someone mention Yellowstones ?

Screen_075m.jpg

Screen_077m.jpg

Built under Commission, the next one will be even BIGGER

Wait a mo! that was from some page "busting the (Whyte) system" or something like that!

I'd call it a 4-2-2.

Wait a mo! that was from some page "busting the (Whyte) system" or something like that!

I'd call it a 4-2-2.

You can't even identify that thing with the Whyte system! In the UIC system, it's a B1A. 4-2-2 suggests 4 leading wheels, 2 driving wheels, and 2 trailing wheels.

Actually, I don't think it's a B1A, since all three axles are connected together. I doubt if the European system works either.
I'm scratching my head here, but I'm stumped how you would classify it in any rational system.

:cool: Claude

Some post ago somebody asked for an idea about how an articulated boiler could be made in Trainz.

Please have a look.

artboil.jpg

artboil,jpg

Please note: this is not a locomotive, this is a concept demostrator.

The real articulated boiler was unique, but not the most brilliant design. I will give them a A+ for trying something different though. Mallet trucks are a better answer to curves after all. Still these (what if) engines never cease to amaze me!:)

Then I propose a question: articulated boilers locomotives have been build in 1910.
What could happen with the today's technology applied to the concept? Trainz could help.

artboil1.jpg

Well steam engines in general are my favorite as you can well tell, but because of rust, condensation, friction, etc.More moving parts mean more replacement parts. But this is trainz and after reading many rivet counting posts, I believe there is room in trainz for rivet counting and locomotives that are experimental or just for fun prototypes. Your 12-12-12-12 there would be fun in trainz but in the real world of railroads would need to be followed by a large MOW crew to replace the bent track. ;)

The developers here at Da Vinci Rails understand quite good economycal factors and allready proposed a solution for this problem:

artboil2.jpg

Instead of a six coupler group, two three-couplers... per body, of course.

P.S. It works...

You better run that on a nuclear cell, cause the coal alone would facilitate a tender the size of a big boy locomotive. :p

Back