Socket A Processors / CPU / Motherboard ...

djpip

Hi all,

I Have a SiS 741GX Motherboard with a [SIZE=-1]Socket A processor.
The processor is a AMD Duron @1.8Ghz.

My Questions to you are ...

1 . Are there any More Modern [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Socket A Processors that are faster then I already have ?

2 . Assuming that there aren't could anyone recommend a CPU, Prefrebly a Dual Core and a motherboard that would work with my current system which is ...

Ram : DDR-SDRAM PC-3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400]
Size : 1024 MB

Video Card : Radeon X1650 Series
Bus Type : AGP
Total Memory : 512 MB

Hard Drive : ( Don't know what type so I gave all I could ! )

IDE Channel : #1 - Master Drive
Model : Maxtor 6Y080L0
Serial Number : Y2DW0MKE
Revision : YAR41BW0
Serial ATA : No
Support : ATA/ATAPI-7
Size : 82 GB

CD Drive :

Peripheral Type : ATAPI
Model : _NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A
Recordable : Yes

Cheers,

DJ PIP
:cool:
[/SIZE]

1. No not really, nothing that would be worth while.
2. Since you wish to keep some of your older components Your limited to socket 939 or socket 478 CPU's and their motherboards (and both are limited in dual core CPU's).

MSI K8T Neo2-F v2.0 (socket 939)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3318077&CatId=1569
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (socket 939)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2927576

Really that's about it when it comes to hardware that will support the older technology.

Shame I didn't see this sooner as I have just given away a XP2600+ with a MSI mainboard a couple of weeks ago!

It is highly unlikely that you'd find a new Socket A processor nowadays so it may be worthwhile checking your local computer shop for 2nd hand parts. Barton core Socket A processors went up to 3200+. Just remember to provide adequate cooling!

Regards, Kev

Try Ebay I was going to get a Pent 4 3.2GHZ from there and there were heaps of them cheap.

The DDR ram is very much old school and most new Computers will use DDR2, infact even your IDE DVD and HDD are getting past it, I have been told IDE DVD drives are no longer being built.

As far as I see your got two choices push your current PC as far as it can going getting bits from Ebay, computer wreckers and such like but with out spending to much money as it might be cheaper in the long run just to get a new PC.

Last edited:
As the other guys have said, the Socket A processors aren't being manufactured anymore. If you do want to keep most of your current setup, you would have to look for cheap second hand parts, through places like ebay and second hand computer dealers, if there are any near you. I would recommend trying to go for a socket 939 system, as this would bring you closer to the more current stuff.

In the long run, however, I would honestly recommend saving up the money and buying a new pc. Trying to upgrade an older pc can be fairly costly. Take a look at ebay, and second hand dealers first, and do a lot of research into the parts you need, and research some new computers that would do the same thing, then weigh up your options.

Chris

DX10 games will work on a video card designed for DX9, but the quality will be reduced. Your system would run Vista and the Vista games, but not very well.If you are going to run Vista, you would need to add more RAM. The 1Gb that you have now isn't quite enough for Vista to run comfortably. It might run slower than XP as well. A faster CPU would be better, so see how you go with ebay.

Chris

it would, however unless your motherboard can support it, a new CPU won't see much of a performance increase.

The SiS 741GX lags behind the top-end products in support of the fastest Socket A processors and DDR SDRAM modules. It is a single-channel chipset for CPUs with 200/266/333MHz FSB; it works with PC2100/2700 memory. The integrated graphics core, the Real256E, doesn’t differ from the one in the SiS661FX: the same modified SiS 315 constrained by a 64-bit memory bus, which it has to share with the CPU. The SiS741GX-based 741GX-M mainboard comes from ECS:
Ignore the commentary I pulled everything from an article for performance charts not commentary.
Ok the SiS 741GX supports 200/266/333mhz FSB (Front Side Bus) CPU's. This means the maximum it will support is a 333mhz Athlon XP 3000, now there are two versions of the 3000, the 333mhz FSB and the 400mhz FSB, you can use a 400mhz FSB CPU but the 400mhz FSB CPU will only run at 333mhz (making the extra money paid pointless).
The RAM supported is also limited. PC2100 (DDR 266) and PC2700 (DDR 333) are the fastest supported. Like the CPU you can use PC3200 (DDR 400) but it will only run at PC2700 (DDR 333).
On a side note your current RAM, is not even running at PC2700, the AMD Duron, actually has a 266mhz FSB so your RAM is actually limited to PC-2100 (DDR 266).

Basically it'd be a waste of money even to prop up the older computer.

Saving Up It will be ...

Cheers.

Saving Up It will be then ! ...

Thanks to everyone who helped me out ! Much Appreciated !

Back