Hard Drive Question ...

djpip

Hi all,

I have no knowledge of Hard Drives but I posted this infomation about a month ago ...

[SIZE=-1] IDE Channel : #1 - Master Drive
Model : Maxtor 6Y080L0
Serial Number : Y2DW0MKE
Revision : YAR41BW0
Serial ATA : No
Support : ATA/ATAPI-7
Size : 82 GB

This Hard drive is now nearly full and I wondered if this any of these would work ...

[/SIZE]http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=97409&doy=29m1

Cheers,

DJ PIP

I've put together some detailed hints on obtaining more hard disk space here.

(I hope nobody in charge here minds me posting that link, if so please remove it.)

John

get the hard drive and transfer as much as possible to it(games etc) leave system drivers alone. I have transfered trainz from one drive to another within the same disc (partitioned) using Disk Management. perhaps once you have the new drive it might be possible to move them using that .
you need at least 16% free space for defragmenting .
The faster the RPM on the new hard drive the quicker the data transfer rate.

Hi all,

I have no knowledge of Hard Drives but I posted this infomation about a month ago ...

[SIZE=-1] IDE Channel : #1 - Master Drive
Model : Maxtor 6Y080L0
Serial Number : Y2DW0MKE
Revision : YAR41BW0
Serial ATA : No
Support : ATA/ATAPI-7
Size : 82 GB

This Hard drive is now nearly full and I wondered if this any of these would work ...

[/SIZE]http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=97409&doy=29m1

Cheers,

DJ PIP

A more interesting question would be what is your current machine and are you happy opening the case? Some machines have nowhere to add an internal drive, some IBMs are like this.

ebuyer.co.uk might be a better source but you can buy external hard drives that plug into a und cable if you aren't comfortable opening the case.

Cheerio John

Another Question !

Hi,

I am quite confident with opening the hood of my machine, just I know nothing of hard drives.

I opened the computer case and it apperars that my computer uses IDE cables. I am not certain, how I would connect my new hard drive, but on one of the cables, appearing to go to the CD drive from the existing Hard drive is a socket, I presume it is an expansion socket.

(See Photo)

External Photo Link

Do I plug the new one into this to form a daisy chain?

DJ PIP

The sad fact is, no matter how large a hard drive is or how many you have, you will fill them up eventually!

I am quite confident with opening the hood of my machine, just I know nothing of hard drives.
Make sure you take fundamental precautions such as disconnecting everything from the mains and the phone line, and wearing an electrostatic wrist strap.
Do I plug the new one into this to form a daisy chain?
Yes but there are additional considerations.

The cable should only fit one way round. This matters. The red wire is pin 1.

You need to check there is somewhere inside the computer to put the new drive. You also need to check the new drive comes with any screws and fittings to mount it securely.

The new drive will need a power cable to be connected, as well as the IDE data ribbon cable. Check if you need a power cable splitter and that your computer's power supply can cope. Checking that the ventilation (fans) is adequate is also a concern whenever adding more devices inside a computer.

If you have two drives on the same IDE cable then one must be designated as the master and the other one the slave. There are little tiny jumpers on the drive to set that. A search on Google should find some instructions on what to do.

The configuration of which hard disks and optical drives (CD/DVD) are on which IDE cables and which are masters and slaves has a performance implication. To quote from a web site:
You want the hard drives and CD-ROM drives on different IDE cables, or the slow CD-ROM drive will affect the performance of the hard drive. A typical configuration looks like this:

Primary:
Master: first hard drive
Slave: second hard drive

Secondary:
Master: CD-ROM drive
Slave: CD-R/CD-RW drive

It doesn't seem to matter whether the CD-ROM drive or the CD recorder drive is the master. Having both on the same channel doesn't necessarily impede CD-to-CD copying, though you're still better off writing from the hard drive.

Check if your computer's system board also has SATA (Serial ATA) connections. Most new ones do. If so, you may be better off opting for an hard disk with an SATA interface instead of IDE. Sorry, I don't know the rules regarding whether you can mix and match IDE and SATA devices.

All in all, an external USB hard disk might be a more attractive option for non-experts but AFAIK it won't be as fast to access.

Do a bit of Googling if you need more info.

HTH, John

Back