So you think you know about Trains? - Pt 2

last week's question said:
What is the nickname commonly given to the original set of Hunslet ‘Quarry’ class locomotives?
The nickname commonly given to the original set of Hunsley ‘Quarry’ class locomotives is the ‘Alice’ class locomotive, referring to the name given to one of the original locomotives built to this design.

This weeks question:
What are the two main purposes of ‘pony’ trucks (bogies) or pony wheels on a steam locomotive?

They pony wheels on a locomotive are used to guide locomotives through curves and support the front of the loco.

What are the two main purposes of ‘pony’ trucks (bogies) or pony wheels on a steam locomotive?
The two main purposes of ‘pony’ trucks (bogies) or pony wheels on a steam locomotive are to carry weight (e.g. the firebox) to reduce the axle load, and to guide a locomotive through corners, so as to help reduce wheel/flange wear.

This weeks question:
In what year did the GE ‘Dash 9’ (C44-9W) series of locomotive begin production, and operation?

The two main purposes of ‘pony’ trucks (bogies) or pony wheels on a steam locomotive are to carry weight (e.g. the firebox) to reduce the axle load, and to guide a locomotive through corners, so as to help reduce wheel/flange wear.

This weeks question:
In what year did the GE ‘Dash 9’ (C44-9W) series of locomotive begin production, and operation?

I am going to guess about 1993... ATSF units.

ok here is the brain teaser here. true the first true dash 9 came out in '93. but the first ones, set of three, were actually c40-8w, bought by CSX, these were at the end of the build line of the dash 8's. these were the first dash 9 locos. if you dont believe me look for your self. here -inprr

Yes that's true but the question was specifically about the C44-9W series not the C40 so 1993 is technically correct I believe

The GE ‘Dash 9’ (C44-9W) type locomotive first began production, and operation, in 1993.

This weeks question:
What is the purpose of ‘tri-cocks’ in a steam locomotive’s cab?

Nobody's answered the question, so I will:
Tri-Cocks are small valves used to check the water level if the sight glass breaks or is not giving an accurate reading.

In what year did the first of the Pennsylvania Railroad's T1 class locomotives enter service?
The first of the Pennsylvania Railroad's T1 class locomotives entered service in 1942.

This weeks question:
What is the purpose of a 'check valve' on a steam locomotive's boiler?

A one way non return valve that allows water to enter the boiler but not to flow back in to the feed system?

In order for the water from the injector to enter the boiler at the same pressure, the pressure must be greater than the same boiler pressure. The water from the injector is sped up through the delivery system and hence traveling at about 20MPH the pressure of the water is now a greater pressure and forces the check valve open admitting the water to enter the boiler from the injector.

What is the purpose of a 'check valve' on a steam locomotive's boiler?
The purpose of a check valve on a steam locomotive’s boiler is to prevent pressurized steam from running back along the pipe. This is most commonly used on the feedwater pipes from the injector or feedwater pump. These are commonly seen on the side of the top of the boiler of many steam locomotives, although some have them located elsewhere as well.

This weeks question:
When was the last Shay locomotive built, and what builder’s number did it receive?

That would be Western Maryland Shay #6. Built 05-14-1945, builder number #sn-3354 or just #3354. Currently operating on the Cass Scenic Railroad (State Park) in Cass, West Virginia.
Information from:
http://www.shaylocomotives.com/

Well wasn't that locomotive a one-off? I mean they had to bring people out of retirement and it wasn't built in the Shay shop because it converted for war production. Actual Shay production ended in 1937. I do like the Cass Scenic Railroad BTW, I've been there a couple of times.. I don't think the Shays ever compare though with the old Baldwin 2_6_6_2T like #110 running in the Black Hills SD.

Last edited:
When was the last Shay locomotive built, and what builder’s number did it receive?
The last Shay locomotive was built in 1945, wth the builders number 3354. This locomotive was built for the Western Maryland Railway, and is now preserved by the Cass Scenic Railway.

This weeks question:
What was the last ‘bulldog’ (round nose) style EMD locomotive built, and when did it enter service?

If you're talking bulldog style, electric bulldogs built by ASEA (licensed by EMD) were the last running. Staring mid 1950s last were done in early 1960s. A few were running up until the mid - 90s in regular service.

Back