So you think you know about Trains? - Pt 2

last week's question said:
What is a "doghouse" on a steam locomotive?
Normally, freight operations required both a head-end brakeman and a brakeman at the rear of the train. Often, there wasn't a lot of extra room in the cab. The fireman didn't always like to share his seat with the brakeman and there wasn't really enough room to stand without getting in the way of the fireman. By 1937, new locomotives were built with enough room to seat the head-end brakeman in the cab. Older locomotives were modified during shopping with a small cabin on the top of the tender for the head-end brakeman. This was called a "doghouse". Some companies provided steam heating for the doghouse, particularly where the train would run in cold climates.

This weeks question:
What is the name of the rack system used on the West Coast Wilderness Railway’s (Originally the Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company) trains and track?

The snippet below, from the History of Baldwin Locomotive Works from 1831 to 1897 (published in 1897), tells how the 2-8-0 wheel arrangement came to be known as the "Consolidation" type of steam locomotive. Following a custom of the times, the Lehigh Valley gave each of its locomotives a name. Because the Lehigh Valley has just completed a merger with the Lehigh & Mahanoy, the locomotive was named "Consolidation" in honor of the corporate union of the two roads. Eventually, more than 33,000 Consolidation type locomotives were built in the U.S., more than any other wheel arrangement.

What is the name of the rack system used on the West Coast Wilderness Railway’s (Originally the Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company) trains and track?
The rack system used on the West Coast Wilderness Railway is the ‘Abt’ rack system..

This weeks question:
What name is commonly used for a ‘2-8-0’ type locomotive?

What name is commonly used for a ‘2-8-0’ type locomotive?
The name commonly used for ‘2-8-0’ type locomotives is a ‘consolidation’.

This weeks question:
This month, the locomotive LNER 4472, Flying Scotsman, celebrated an anniversary of it’s completion. What year was the completed, and how old is the locomotive (from the completion year)?

This month, the locomotive LNER 4472, Flying Scotsman, celebrated an anniversary of it’s completion. What year was the completed, and how old is the locomotive (from the completion year)?
LNER 4472, Flying Scotsman, was completed in 1923, and is 90 years old.

This weeks question:
What is the name for a steam-electric locomotive where the boiler powers a generator (operated by simply expansion engines), rather than direct drive to the driving wheels, and does not use a Turbine?

What is the name for a steam-electric locomotive where the boiler powers a generator (operated by simply expansion engines), rather than direct drive to the driving wheels, and does not use a Turbine?
The name of the steam-electric locomotive design that uses a generator operated by simple expansion engines is the ‘Heilmann’ locomotive.

This weeks question:
What is the name of the British Rail Class 55 locomotive, and where does the name originate from.

A scotch block is placed near the entrance to a siding to prevent runaways getting on to the main. It is not designed to derail. It is a metal or wooden hinged device that can be flipped over to cover the rail with provision to lock it in the open nor closed position. It is so named because it serves to 'scotch' a wheel. It does not take the place of the traincar brakes. It is a safety and security device.

Peter

Oops! I answered last weeks question and Zec overtook me.

What is the name of the British Rail Class 55 locomotive, and where does the name originate from.
The name of the British Rail Class 55 locomotive is the ‘Deltic’ locomotive, with the name originating from the ‘Deltic’ design of engine.

This weeks question:
What is the purpose of ‘Head End Power’?

It is to supply power (lighting, heat, cooling, etc.) to the passenger cars on a train. It is also called hotel power (lol).

What is the purpose of ‘Head End Power’?
The purpose of Head End Power (HEP) is to provide power from the locomotive to the passenger carriages, for heating, lighting, and so on. Some earlier refrigerated containers also required the use of HEP to provide power for the refrigerators.

This weeks question:
What is the purpose of the Gresley Conjugated Valve Gear?

Gresley conjugated valve gear is to operate the valves for the centre cylinder. It is, or was, (not sure if the patent has expired) a patented system and was used on some American 3 cylinder locos, as well as British LNER 3 cylinder locos.

Cheers,
Bill69

if the question this week is about head end power then here's my answer: Head end power is the use of helper locomotives to help a large freight train get up a steep grade for example NS can be using up to 6 helpers on the horseshoe curve This I had learned on extreme trains when I was im going to say maybe 10? By the way if you want to know why I said 6 helpers its because on the Ep. NS Coal train they said they had 6 helpers on! but it mostly looks as if all I should have said was for power:hehe:

The purpose of the Gresley-designed Conjugated Valvegear is to reduce the vibration of the locomotive's rod vibration (a.k.a hammer blow) on both the track and inside the locomotive. It has the added purpose of using the 2 external cylinders to power in the central cylinder by way of a rocking arm system visible at the head of the cylinders. As well as Gresley designed locomotives of the A1/A3 andA4 class locomotives, it would be later used on other 3 cylinder locomotives around the world. It's one disability as opposed to regular 3 cylinder locomotives with more conventional walsharts valvegear was that the center cylinder tended to wear out faster.

What is the purpose of the Gresley Conjugated Valve Gear?
The purpose of the Gresley Conjugated Valve Gear is to drive the valve for the centre cylinder on a 3 cylinder loco, by using the valve gear of the outside cylinders to drive special linkages that operate the inside cylinder’s valve.

This weeks question:
What is the nickname commonly given to the original set of Hunslet ‘Quarry’ class locomotives?

I think they were nicknamed Austerity's If I remember rightly (sorry if I have got the wrong hunslet)

I have other idea's, maybe Dolbadarn Or Penrhyn.

I am probably wrong, but what the hey?

(from the newsletter)
A pony truck is used to help guide a locomotive's drivers around a curve. They are normally equalized as well so they reduce bouncing and spread out the weight more.

Back