SlugSmasher's model RR project

slugsmasher

US Narrow Gauge kuid86661
Taking a Trainz hiatus again. All this babbling about new versions and the pending Trainz Armageddon is getting tiring. So maybe readers would like a diversion, hence why I am also hanging out in the "prototype" section...i.e. no drama.

Spent last few weeks building this 2'x1' HO scale diorama for my model club. It is in tune with my Trainz interests and certainly looks like it could be part of my Clear Lake Logging route. Model railroading is my true passion and to be truthful, Trainz has been a very bad distraction for the last 7 or 8 years. Building this was a great way to get away from the Trainz demons and do something with my hands. I think it came out ok.

It is not based on anything in particular other than classic Pacific Northwest logging around the 1930s. The shay is an old Model Diecasting Roundhouse kit that I actually got to run smoothly about 10 years ago. I just recently painted and weathered it though. The crummy is a scratch built item that I designed in my skull somewhere. My evergreen trees are scratch built with balsa dowels and individually flocked caspia branches, the deciduous tress are mostly Scenic Express "Super Trees" flocked with Woodland Scenics stuff. It all sits on an extruded foam base with standard ground covering techniques.

I photoshopped a couple shots for effect and background integration. Depth of scene runs out pretty quick in only 288 square inches. I plan do to some more outdoor lighting photos and possibly submit an article to RMC or NG&SLG, we'll see. Enjoy and ask questions if you like.

dio1_drybrush.jpg

dio2.jpg

dio3.jpg

dio4.jpg

Makes me wish I had never given up on my model railroads oh so many years ago. Splendid job Slugsmasher....

I'm terrible at scenery for a (real) model railroad. Nice to see someone who is great at it. Beautiful work Slugs.

I still have my layout but its been collecting dust for at least 5 years (ever since I got Trainz and Gmax, lol). Just got too expensive. A HOn3 0-6-0T can cost as much as $495.00.

Ben

I got 1 .. in #2 pic , the building on the right with the tin roof that's lifting all over the place , is that a kit thing or did you build it your self ??

It looks very cool

The shed is an old Campbell kit that I built in the late 70's. It got damaged in a box several years ago and I restored it during this project. It originally had Campbell paper shingles but they looked terrible after flopping around in a box. I made a new roof you see here using the tin foil from wine bottle cork seals by rubbing the foil on a course bastard file to make the ridges and then cutting tiles to shape.

I think you can buy pre made roofing tin like this nowadays for model kit bashing.

Campbell makes nice kits. I have almost all of them (and have put a lot of them into Trainz, lol).

Ben

P.S. Kit-bashing is always fun.

The shed is an old Campbell kit that I built in the late 70's. It got damaged in a box several years ago and I restored it during this project. It originally had Campbell paper shingles but they looked terrible after flopping around in a box. I made a new roof you see here using the tin foil from wine bottle cork seals by rubbing the foil on a course bastard file to make the ridges and then cutting tiles to shape.

I think you can buy pre made roofing tin like this nowadays for model kit bashing.

Cheers ... good looking shed , I like it , adds character to the scene .

:)

Back