School and liking trains

It's just another form of guys (and occasional females) liking power. I like all forms of mechanized neatos. Most younger people like little Japanese cars with fart mufflers that sound like weedeaters. No big deal, if that is your thing, more power to ya. I like older, more ballsy stuff. Big rumbling V8's, heavy steel, trucks, trains, Ford GT40's, Shelby Cobras, Fender P-basses etc. Trains are the epitome of land based power. They shake the Earth, squeal with steel grinding steel. What's not to like? I almost think it's goofy not to be impressed. So the Nascar driver who is sponsored by your favorite lousy bland tasteless cheap beer has a 700 hp car that only turns left... What about a 16 cylinder 2 stroke diesel with cylinders big enough to fit your head inside them?

I couldn't tell you how much this comments wins. And How much I agree. :D

I've Had my Time with Idiots and school, Of Course it was the "Jocks" of Grade School Who Would, Last day I went to that school they Were screaming Train boy from the buses when I was walking Home, So I respectively Flipped The Entire School Off Via Bus Parking lot and Went Home to go Extend my Layout another 7 feet XDD.

3/4 Years Later, Here I am, 14, almost 15, Knowing Rather Well My Way inside and out of a computer, TV, stero's, most electronics, I have excellent Wood working skills, I can build anything out of what ever you give me, And I already Volunteer for the Best railroad In This State, And yes the Kids I used to know from that school Probably Can't Get Girlfriends out of there heads, And Don't do anything other then play guitar hero....

Point is, Liking Trains Has helped set me up for the rest of my life, And I've had other non train related Problems with people, But You don't need a swarm of people that like you to make it through your childhood, I have about 3 Real, True Honest Hearted Friends, And then My other friends are all over the age of 35!

-Catskill Mountain Railroad FTW

I do get teased sometimes, but I don't care. So what if I like trains. Those who have a problem with that can take a long walk off a short pier. :D

Basically what i'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with having different interests. It doesn't mean that you lack intelligence or have mental problems, it just mean that your interests aren't the same as others. ;)

When my mother was "funny" about my interests in trains, I said this:

" Would you rather me like railways and vespas (Italian scooters) or be like the other kids who ride skateboards,vandalise property (both public and personal), swear constantly and will probably become alcoholics and drug addicts."

- Chris, :wave:
If you were in my school & said that you would be in the nersues (Spelling Fail)office the next day with lots of problems.

When I was younger I was picked on, like most of us would have been. When I moved to Middle school I sort of hid it from everyone. Once in high school it became known that I was fond of trains because I began to work and volunteer at the Valley Railroad.

However no one ever said anything to me because while they were sitting around growing fat, I was out making some cash for it as well as gaining some experience that I could use down the road. The one person who did say something to me I shot back and said well who is the one making money while your still stuck in school for another 2 years sitting on his arse getting fatter by the day(he weighs like 300lbs)

Never once did I think I have to "beat" someone up simply because they made fun of me because of my intrests. If you do then you are not much better then the person that is "picking" on you about liking trains. Now if the person comes at you swinging because you like trains, that is all together different, although something very stupid to fight over:hehe::eek:

" Why? They are so slow, and are realy dangourous". That was from a fellow student. This same student is also the same one who would curse at the railroads for having the trains go by slow due to the maintence at that time. And apon telling him it was the maintinence, his reply was to tear it up, turn it into road, and use the steel to make more automobiles.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! Slow? Dangerous? Next time you see this student say,

'How many people die on roads each year, compared to those who die on railroads? C'mon, give me numbers...'

After you hear his crappy, half baked reply, say this,

'I heard a story from a bloke named Mitch in Australia, and he said, 'We went to Melinga to take pics of steam locomotive 3237. And she took off for Taree. My family jumped into the car and were sitting at about 80-85kph (the speed limit on this road) on the trip back to the station. 3237 just caught us at the first crossing, and cut us off. I thought 'Nah, we've got her now.' But, to my surprise, we arrived in Taree, to see her hissing and panting at the station.' How, Mr. Rail-is-slow-and-dangerous guy, is rail slower than road if the train went FASTER than the limit on the road?'

Why use it to make automobiles? All the good ones have already been built, so, what's the point using steel from the rails to build Japanese buzz-boxes?

Thanks,
Mitch

I'm 17, I'll be 18 in November and a senior in high school next year, I told my fellow students what I like in elementary until 5th grade, then I kept it a secret for awhile and then with the invention of Facebook, I created one with pics and vids of trains and when I get friend request from my fellow students, they just say that they respect my hobbies. Now, that they kno, a big load of worry is out of me.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! Slow? Dangerous? Next time you see this student say,

'How many people die on roads each year, compared to those who die on railroads? C'mon, give me numbers...'

After you hear his crappy, half baked reply, say this,

'I heard a story from a bloke named Mitch in Australia, and he said, 'We went to Melinga to take pics of steam locomotive 3237. And she took off for Taree. My family jumped into the car and were sitting at about 80-85kph (the speed limit on this road) on the trip back to the station. 3237 just caught us at the first crossing, and cut us off. I thought 'Nah, we've got her now.' But, to my surprise, we arrived in Taree, to see her hissing and panting at the station.' How, Mr. Rail-is-slow-and-dangerous guy, is rail slower than road if the train went FASTER than the limit on the road?'

Why use it to make automobiles? All the good ones have already been built, so, what's the point using steel from the rails to build Japanese buzz-boxes?

Thanks,
Mitch

Now its my turn to Buahahahahaha.
I dont know what was wrong with him. We even had Union Pacific 844 (4-8-4 FEF class built for high speeds) come roarin through my town at about 70 or 80mph. It still didnt matter. And then we had another kid, who is actualy somewhat interested in railroads, say that Steam Engines couldn't go faster than 20-30 mph. That was before 844 came through town. We told him that day to go down to the railroad tracks and just wait. Come monday, his mind had comeplety changed.

But the DFW area, for being an area founded on the railroads, doesnt care for them. The local turrist line, the Grapevine Vintage Railroad, which runs on track occasionly used by the local frieght line, now is bound by law to be quiter at crossings, on acount that all the towns along the route got together to make it quiteter. It has been about a week since this has happened. Last weekend there were no problems, I can only wait to see what will happen this upcoming weekend.

PS: I am very pleased/suprised on how this thread is doing. For once I start something good:hehe: :p .

EDIT:
diesel9 said:
I'm 17, I'll be 18 in November and a senior in high school next year, I told my fellow students what I like in elementary until 5th grade, then I kept it a secret for awhile and then with the invention of Facebook, I created one with pics and vids of trains and when I get friend request from my fellow students, they just say that they respect my hobbies. Now, that they kno, a big load of worry is out of me.
Hurray for facebook. Iv used it to that same effect as well.

I'm the only person out of my graduating class, and the past 4 graduating classes who has perused a career in the railroading industry. Many many many people don't fully understand what railroading is.. Hell most people just think of trains that go "choo choo" and puff lots of smoke out. This for me is an inaccurate representation of what railroading is today, in my opinion.

Sure trains did go choo-choo and blew out smoke years and years ago, but now it's working 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts, going to work in sub zero temperatures enduring the elements. Taking a train from one side of a state to another while keeping you, and your engineer/conductor alive while making sure your load gets to its destination on time, while following & abiding all regulations/rules.

Most of my friends went off to a university this year to study something for 4+ years, only to pay student loans off till they're in their 30's and sit behind a desk for the rest of their lives. And for some reason they can't figure out why I want to be a railroader, which is fine I don't expect them to understand.

I made it well known during high school that I was going to be a railroader when I graduated, no one said anything to me other then "How... Unoriginal?" That's about as "negative" (if you call it that) as it would get.. One thing I have lived by for a long time now is don't let people tell you otherwise. If you like trains, COOL, so do I. If people give you crap for liking trains, who cares, honestly. ESPECIALLY in high school. Chances are, you won't see them again after unless you live in a city with a population of 2,000, or go to the same college. If people give you crap because you want to be a railroader/train freak, let them.

Zing.

Now see, I used to get picked on in Elementary and Middle school and whatnot, but it all changed in High School.

By 10th grade, everybody knew I liked Trains. And pretty much all my friends typically respected my liking for them, even with the usual 'Why do you like Trains so much, Beecher?" I'd get.

And to think, it was just because I know how to draw them, that my popularity soared:

Running_Light_by_Sampug394.jpg

No better feeling than having High schools girls comment on your Drawing skills... :D

Everyone has their own hobbies. Don't be afraid to like trains, if they make fun of you for it, ask them what their hobbies are... I am willing to bet that some of them are NASCAR fans... Look at it this way, they sit there and watch cars driving furiously in a circle all day. Well watching trains is my NASCAR. (Nothing against NASCAR fans, just a point)

Mike

Oh yeah, I'm heading for 35 quickly.... Most of my buddies who are non-train watchers still give me a hard time about the train watching. Also my co-workers give me a good rash of crap about it too...

Last edited:
well, as an 18 year old, I get teased constantly about it, but I have learned to tune them out (these are the people whose "coolness" comes from stealing Bobcats,fixing cars(no problem there) dating every single girl (and dumping them the next day) Playing football till they are brain damaged, who use every single swear word in the dictionary and etc.) I have found people with the same "condition" as me, and they like me. Not my age (the youngest is 30) but still really good train friends. Trains are not my only hobby though, I am a guitarist, book collector (have all but 4 of Stephen King's books), and an avid movie watcher. So it goes to show you, you don't have to only have one hobby. Plus I plan to make it a career, I am looking into employment with Norfolk Southern Co.

Last edited:
I'm the only person out of my graduating class, and the past 4 graduating classes who has perused a career in the railroading industry. Many many many people don't fully understand what railroading is.. Hell most people just think of trains that go "choo choo" and puff lots of smoke out. This for me is an inaccurate representation of what railroading is today, in my opinion.

Sure trains did go choo-choo and blew out smoke years and years ago, but now it's working 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts, going to work in sub zero temperatures enduring the elements. Taking a train from one side of a state to another while keeping you, and your engineer/conductor alive while making sure your load gets to its destination on time, while following & abiding all regulations/rules.

Most of my friends went off to a university this year to study something for 4+ years, only to pay student loans off till they're in their 30's and sit behind a desk for the rest of their lives. And for some reason they can't figure out why I want to be a railroader, which is fine I don't expect them to understand.

I made it well known during high school that I was going to be a railroader when I graduated, no one said anything to me other then "How... Unoriginal?" That's about as "negative" (if you call it that) as it would get.. One thing I have lived by for a long time now is don't let people tell you otherwise. If you like trains, COOL, so do I. If people give you crap for liking trains, who cares, honestly. ESPECIALLY in high school. Chances are, you won't see them again after unless you live in a city with a population of 2,000, or go to the same college. If people give you crap because you want to be a railroader/train freak, let them.

Zing.

Wait, so you dont have to go to regular college to work for the railroads?:eek:

specialized jobs like structural engineer, car repairman, etc you just need a high school diploma to work for Norfolk Southern. wait, they do have training centers located depending on the company you would want to go to (Norfolk Southern has one in Atlanta, and one in Virgina if I am correct)

Last edited:

Ohhhh no. Hell, per union contracts you only need a GED (as far as education goes). Typically if you go off to get a BA in something relevant to the railroading industry (IE: Industrial Engineering) you'll be placed into a department & job that your BA is associated with. People in the craft (MoW/Train Service/Engineering) only need the GED (as minimum) for their educational backround. However, getting hired on with train service at this point in time is far more tricky then any of department due to its competitive job market and the new demands that the RR requires. I'm going off to Modoc Railroad Academy in September so I can be trained before I even enter the workforce, this gives me a head step on the competition. There is also the NARS ( National Academy for Railroad Sciences) In Kansas City.. But I don't hear many good things about that school.

Now see, I used to get picked on in Elementary and Middle school and whatnot, but it all changed in High School.

By 10th grade, everybody knew I liked Trains. And pretty much all my friends typically respected my liking for them, even with the usual 'Why do you like Trains so much, Beecher?" I'd get.

And to think, it was just because I know how to draw them, that my popularity soared:

Running_Light_by_Sampug394.jpg

No better feeling than having High schools girls comment on your Drawing skills... :D
Nice drawing! I can't even draw a straight line without a ruler and even with they still come out all squiggly.

My dad is 46. And he is the BIGGEST N&W fan in the world. I'm in the 5th grade, and the whole school knows I like trains. Me and my dad are building a HO scale route in our basement....It is set in 1947.... The RR are, N&W, Shendoah Valley,and maybe Southern....The main towns are, Ronake, and Columbus.

We have the same problem in the UK, and I believe it's pretty much global.

Thinking back, I got a bit of bullying for it, especially by the local kids/morons. School was the same, but a few people stuck up for me, and the teachers even encouraged the hobby, so it wasn't so bad.

But the main thing is, it's a more interesting, detailed, historical hobby, with a much wider scope than what's "popular". Sports... yes sports has details and history, but are the kids interested in that? No, they just want to run around kicking a ball. So it's not really that in-depth for them. But for us train fan kids... it's a much better hobby, by far.

I am a member of the local "Railway Circle" (model train club), and am the only one of my age group (I'm 24) there. There's a couple of young kids, about 8-9, and the youngest older member is in his mid/late 30s. So we are rare, but all the better for it. =)

As a little kid I loved Railroading so getting books and Tapes and books and other thing on the subject was a grand occasion for me. My old hometown was located near the old Lackawanna mainline. I went to steamtown and the Strasburg Railroad and enjoyed it. When I moved to the Tampa Bay area, I liked the endless model railroad shows but starting school I took endless teasing about it. Mostly people would be trying to humor me like ask what's the fastest train. Though people who took scouts and other people who you could call geeks respected my love of railroading. In middle school a new battle started. I was an adovcate of train travel, so most people took delight in mocking me for it. I took future cities where we were tasked to build cities 250 years in the future. Any time I suggested railroads and trains I was shot down. Truth betold that I only kept the class to play Simcity and help peoples cities who were plagued with traffic problems. In my eigth grade year, oh what a terrible year. I took future cites again same as last year. Instead started a full blown campaign against me. For about a year I had a Railfan and Railroad subscription and people took aim at this when at lunch I would read this. I was given an IPS science teacher who humored me about railroading, very annoying. The school gudiance counslers and other elements of student affairs tried to convinvce me my love of trains caused this problem. You know what, it wasn't I t was just middle school, In high school people are more understanding of my intrests which beside trains and railroads include cars, tanks, and both World Wars. So I am saying in a nutshell that people become more tolerating of others in High school.

Back