Saving to external hard drive

Richard_Dodge

Hi:

Need advice on correct procedure for copying my works in TS2010, to an external hard drive.

I have copied TRS2006 (local) to an external hard drive. But not sure which folder I should be copying from in TS2010!

The folders listed in TS2010 are bin, Builtin, cache, controllers, Extras, libraies, Scripts, User Data.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day.

Richard

In TRS2006 the "local" file is where all your routes and assets are stored.

My "local" file is getting huge, 46 Gb, and I back a copy of it up, regularly in case of PC failure, for later pasteing where I delete the re-installed TRS2006 program local file, should I need my local file on another replacement PC.

There's a mention about this in Trainz Community News, towards the back. My takeaway is you want to back up the entire userdata folder. However, I've had problems when restoring assets via CMP's Import Content feature. So, I have the entire TS2010 folder backed up. If I need to reinstall, I'll install TS2010 normally from Auran's discs, install the relevant service packs, and then copy over the installed TS2010 installation with my backed-up one, and do an Extended Database Repair. I don't see how that would not work.

User Data and all sub folders should have everything you need.
I have done a couple imports to 2010 using that and I have had no problems.

Nickel what you are saying is that when I want to save my work that was done in TS2010 to the external hard drive it will be ok to use "User Data" folder which contains the locol folder and this will not pose any problems!

Richard

Last edited:
Note: Installing Trainz on an External hard drive is not recommended. (Some profess that it works great). It would cause lag and all sorts of problems. Trainz should be installed and run on your "C" Drive. Backup copies are great on an external hard drive. I blow my desktop oscilating fan and AC on it when operating in hot weather, to keep it and my PC cooler.

I play it safe, full directory (D) back up every week to external drive, also copy periodically the whole of the Trainz 2010 directory to the external drive, especially if I do a lot of downloading.

I am running 2006, 2009 and 2010 on an external HD and see no difference. I just moved the 2009 directory to the new drive and changed the desktop short cut from drive c: to e:. Once everything was working I deleted the 2009 folder from the c: drive.

Just a note for what it is worth. I don't trust external HD's. I have lost 3 in the past 2 years along with all the data stored on them. I will never put money into another one until they become all solid state with no moving parts.

I run 2004 from my 'E' drive & back up to an external 'G' drive, no problems.
Only thing on my 'C' drive is Windows XP.

Just a note for what it is worth. I don't trust external HD's. I have lost 3 in the past 2 years along with all the data stored on them. I will never put money into another one until they become all solid state with no moving parts.

The hard drives in enclosures, I agree tend to burn out quickly because of poor air circulation.

I've had excellent luck witht he BlackX by Thermaltake. They are available at BestBuy, NewEgg and other retailers. Recently I saw them online for almost 50% off the retail price I paid for mine a year ago. www.weirdstuff.com Has them on sale right now. $39.99.

These hold standard SATA 3.5 and 2.5" hard drives. The drives are completely exposed to the air so there's no worry about overheating. If you need to swap drives, get another SATA drive and plug it in, format it, and it's available for use.

John

The hard drives in enclosures, I agree tend to burn out quickly because of poor air circulation.

I've had excellent luck witht he BlackX by Thermaltake. They are available at BestBuy, NewEgg and other retailers. Recently I saw them online for almost 50% off the retail price I paid for mine a year ago. www.weirdstuff.com Has them on sale right now. $39.99.

These hold standard SATA 3.5 and 2.5" hard drives. The drives are completely exposed to the air so there's no worry about overheating. If you need to swap drives, get another SATA drive and plug it in, format it, and it's available for use.

John

I am of the opinion that hard drive failure is more often caused by switching the drive off and on a lot. The hard drives on my machine are never switched off unless I am going to be away for a week or more and I have had more DVD drive failures than hard drive failures. I run Windows 7 64bit on my 'C' drive, general programs on 'D' drive and Trainz on 'E' drive. Backups on an external 1Tb USB drive.

Cheers,
Bill69.

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that hard drive failure is more often caused by switching the drive off and on a lot. The hard drives on my machine are never switched off unless I am going to be away for a week or more and I have had more DVD drive failures than hard drive failures. I run Windows 7 64bit on my 'C' drive, general programs on 'D' drive and Trainz on 'E' drive. Backups on an external 1Tb USB drive.

Cheers,
Bill69.

Correct, though it's thought by some that actual cause is due to the repeated heating and cooling cycles that come with turning your machine on and off. Most materials - especially the microscopic wires inside of microchips - expand when heated and contract when cooled. This produces fissures inside the wire where physical separation occurs. Repeated cycles of heating and cooling produce an effect not unlike bending a spoon back and forth. Eventually, it will break.

Correct, though it's thought by some that actual cause is due to the repeated heating and cooling cycles that come with turning your machine on and off. Most materials - especially the microscopic wires inside of microchips - expand when heated and contract when cooled. This produces fissures inside the wire where physical separation occurs. Repeated cycles of heating and cooling produce an effect not unlike bending a spoon back and forth. Eventually, it will break.

Yes I agree with RRsignal. The heating and cooling is what you get when switching drives on and off. My computer runs 24hrs/day except when I am going away.

Cheers,
Bill69

Yes I agree with RRsignal. The heating and cooling is what you get when switching drives on and off. My computer runs 24hrs/day except when I am going away.

Cheers,
Bill69

Personally I've had very few hard drive failures other than those caused by old age. I keep my computers cool and clean inside. An old Seagate 40MB ST250-2 is a tribute to this! I disassembled the dead drive about a month ago. It worked up until that time in an old '486 Linux machine I had running.

Where I used to work, the CADD workstations were never turned off. One day there was a power outage, and all of the machines were dead. The hard disks had been spinning continuously for about 6 years straight, and this one powerdown killed the drives.

At one time the company sold old DECstation 200s and 300s as RIP Servers to drive the old PolaProof equipment. The systems were so jam packed inside that the drives and other components would literally cook. One system had hard drives that were so hot, that when they were removed, it felt like they were taken out of a fire.

John

I've ever only had one hard drive crash (actually the system itself crashed, I was still able to recover everything from the hard drive) - no external drive failures yet.

On the topic of installing Trainz on an external drive, if you have already installed it on your internal hard drive, don't just move the trainz folder itself - most people think that you only have to change the shortcut, it involves more than that as Trainz does have some registry entries which point at various Trainz application files (the trainz URL registry key, for example) and those links may be broken by moving the folder. At worst though, if Trainz is not in the folder it was originally moved to, you may not be able to remove it if a problem happens. (In terms of content backups, I usually use the archive feature in Content Manager - less space is required to store the backup, and if a re-install is necessary, you can normally just double-click the archive file (if you are only using the one version of Trainz) or open Content Manager, go into Settings, then add the archive file to the list. (Use the Add button) - Content Manager should then ask if you want to install the content.

Shane

I had external hard drive. it fell to floor i was accident my feet caught power plug so it broke I can't doing anything recovery so I got built new home server 8 hard drives with raid 10 total 5 TB so I transfer train folder to it not worry to lose it!!
It cost me over $1000

John
:clap:

Back