Russian third party trainz sites.

mity22

Hello all. Recently I was forwarded by someone to a Russian Trainz site in order to download a layout. Now when I went to the site and tried to download A warning came up from my internet security program warning of a dangerous threat ie Virus in the route file I aborted the download. Has anyone else ever had issues with Russian sites as the route is on you tube the person who put the video up sent me to the site. Rutrainz I believe was the name of the site.

Are you sure it was from your software, and not an ad or pop-up claiming you are "at risk" or something along those lines?

I've downloaded tons of stuff from Russian sites and, while a lot of them have malware links, ads, etc., there's nothing in the CDPs themselves. As long as you run the latest version of your browser, anything that runs in your browser (Flash, Quicktime, etc.), and the latest version of WinRAR (or whatever archiving program you have, if the CDPs are in a RAR or ZIP file), you should be ok.

I got the same thing from Microsoft Security Essentials on a website claiming to distribute the Moscow Metro. The popup came from my taskbar, and the MSE logo changed from green to red, indicating a virus. Plus Chrome eventually terminated the download. I had to clean and scan my system before the 'At Risk' indicator would go away. It is real, I assure you.

Hi it was from my Kaspersky internet security as it came up red with the warning I mentioned, the route was called kazan Metro. I have the cars for that but not the route. The person on You tube gave me the link to the site it all looked ok on his clip so its puzzling.

When dealing with 3rd party sites I'm not familiar with, I download to a folder and scan all the cdp files before opening. Haven't had a virus hitch a ride in yet.... (knock on wood)
Just my $0.02

A shame as some of the routes look good. However going back to a thread running a few months ago, are they even built in registered bona-fide copies of the programme? It was asserted that bootleg copies of Trainz were openly being sold on market and trader stalls outside stations etc.

I remember that thread. Apparently, station employees were giving out versions of Trainz that were not legit.

I'm beginning to wonder if the user who got banned due to that is the one responsible for the current problems with that site.

Shane

Hi it was from my Kaspersky internet security as it came up red with the warning I mentioned, the route was called kazan Metro.

Mity,

The kazan metro is distributed as an .exe file in the final released form. The last time I downloaded it I received no Virus' with it although who knows what has happened to it.

@RRSignal http://rutrainz.com/?page_id=286 Here is Link.

Rutrainz or Metrorus as formally known has had a lot of problems in all the times I have used it. It has been down several times and the downloads lost. However, It is working now and most of the files are stored on narod.ru aka Depositfiles.com.

@TRam__ I thought we'd lost those routes after the Metorus crash. It seems they are safe :)

Regards

Johan

That is the same link I was given thanks for posting it.

I think I got mine from http://trainz-railroad.ucoz.ru/

I got that warning too when trying to download from N33's link, but not the one above. HOWEVER, the Kazan Metro is distributed as a self-extracting 7-zip file, not a RAR or CDP file. The bad news is that it's an executable file, and some virus scanners can be over-sensitive (albeit often justifiably) when dealing with them. The good news is, you don't have to run it; you can extract all the route files with 7zip, Winrar, etc. That way, you stay safe.

FYI, the link I gave also has a updated SP1 version of the Kazan Metro.

I cannot find the Kazan metro in the link above? Mind My translator is not working right so I could be missing it.

This is the original:

http://trainz-railroad.ucoz.ru/load/kazanskij_metropoliten/2-1-0-242

This is the latest version:

http://trainz-railroad.ucoz.ru/load/kazanskij_metropoliten/2-1-0-239

Apparently the second version is very different according to the description; you might like the original better. To download, click on Скачать материал, which will take you to narod.ru. Type in the captcha. On the following screen, right click the download link, select Copy Link, then paste the link into your browser's URL address bar and hit enter.

Ok thanks for the link I just saw I no longer seem to have the kazan trains are they with the route?

Well I can report that after trying to download the Kazan metro from the other site it went through a 11 minute downlaod only to be removed by my internet security saying again a serious threat had been located if this happens I cannot stop it being removed so there you have it?

Back