Running trains to a timetable using sessions in TRS06

Hello everyone

I've been experimenting on my test layout with the sforget CPC rules. And this is in TRS2006 SP1.

First results are encouraging:
  1. Insert CPC rule - list your portals, set up your consists in sequential order for each listed portal, set emission times to '0' and tell it to use child rules such as CPC emit train.....
  2. Insert Timecheck rule - set the trigger time for a child rule to be activated....
  3. Insert CPC emit train as a child rule (ie. indented) - tell the rule which portal this applies to and the consist that is next in the queue for this portal will be emitted at the time set in the Timecheck rule....
  4. Continue to insert Timecheck and CPC emit train rules for each desired train movement in your timetable for which consists have been listed against the relevant portal in the CPC rule.
Early days yet - it needs far more testing! But it does seem to work in TRS2006. The key is the Timecheck rule - it acts as a trigger for all listed child rules at a specified hour and minute.

Now what I would like to add to this is a message on screen that tells me what the train is when it's emitted from the portal (eg. "1D02: 12.03 KX to Cleethorpes") Ideally, this also would be triggered by the Timecheck rule. Any suggestions about how to set this up? :eek:

I would like to add to this is a message on screen that tells me what the train is when it's emitted from the portal (eg. "1D02: 12.03 KX to Cleethorpes")

Try this:

timecheck rule
-CPC emit train
-Show message rule

be nice

. . . .

First results are encouraging:
  1. Insert CPC rule - list your portals, set up your consists in sequential order for each listed portal, set emission times to '0' and tell it to use child rules such as CPC emit train.....
  2. Insert Timecheck rule - set the trigger time for a child rule to be activated....
  3. Insert CPC emit train as a child rule (ie. indented) - tell the rule which portal this applies to and the consist that is next in the queue for this portal will be emitted at the time set in the Timecheck rule....
  4. Continue to insert Timecheck and CPC emit train rules for each desired train movement in your timetable for which consists have been listed against the relevant portal in the CPC rule.

Ok, I am running Traniz2006. I have tried this on my two panel test layout and it works fine. In an effort to limit my test time, I am starting my session at 07:00:00 and setting the Timecheck rule for 07:05:00.

Using the same parameters on my 100+ panel railroad, it never works. Does the size of the map or the number of assets in use affect the way Trainz performs?

Dap

Paulsw2 said:
I suspect that attention is now, rightly, going to shift to Segy's 'timetable challenge' thread (see above). So let me round this thread off by concluding that we seem to have four distinct approaches to running trains timetabled by the hour and minute in Trainz:
  1. a set of rules/commands by 'brummfondel' including Portal Manager, Path Control, Timetable etc.
  2. a set of rules/commands by 'sforget' including Central Portal Control and CPC Emit Train;
  3. the SCS2006 rule;
  4. Segy's Crewe schedule that uses SCS2006 and triggers.

I don't know, but i think that no one of this approaches don't solve the problem of timing. How to determine the required time between departure at StationA and arrival in StationB, and then between B and C....etc? Schedule rule(Auran) is not the solution.

Ok, I am running Traniz2006. I have tried this on my two panel test layout and it works fine. ... Using the same parameters on my 100+ panel railroad, it never works. Does the size of the map or the number of assets in use affect the way Trainz performs?

Dap
:eek: I have no idea, but I think this is a very interesting query. Is it possible that session rules may break down when operating the very largest layouts?

... I don't know, but i think that no one of this approaches don't solve the problem of timing. How to determine the required time between departure at StationA and arrival in StationB, and then between B and C....etc? Schedule rule(Auran) is not the solution.
Yes, my query was very much about timetabled operation into and out of a single point/area on a layout, ie. a station, though it could be a yard or depot. Timetabled operation across an entire layout (especially if very large, see above) is a different and much more complicated kettle of fish. But obviously much more like the prototype!

I should add that I am now experimenting with a set up of:

InputTable Rule [set up message: time,HOUR,MINUTE; eg. time,10,3 for 10.03]
Central Portal Control [add producing portals and set up consists with drivers]
Message Console Rule
Timecheck [add relevant time]
- CPC emit train
- MC: add message [add description for train just emitted]
et. etc. etc.

I'm using the InputTable rule so I can access WaitUntilTime command in driver set-up. I've not been able to get the WaitUntilHour/WaitUntilMinute to work - do you need to have a rule in the session for these commands to operate? :confused:

I should add that I am now experimenting with a set up of:

InputTable Rule [set up message: time,HOUR,MINUTE; eg. time,10,3 for 10.03]
Central Portal Control [add producing portals and set up consists with drivers]
Message Console Rule
Timecheck [add relevant time]
- CPC emit train
- MC: add message [add description for train just emitted]
et. etc. etc.

Can you explain what you really want.

regards

Well I was really just reporting on progress with my testing. In this case, I think I've now worked out that the "wait until hour" and "wait until minute" rules are really 'wait for X hours' and 'wait for Y minutes' rules. So that's a small step forward!

ahem, yes :hehe: well, from small acorns.....

Looking at your 'timetable challenge' I guess that my grasp of rules and sessions will wilt at first sight!

However, I hope that people will take up the challenge, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Thanks

The route is now available on the download station and I know the schedule can be programmed because I have it working as designed.

Segy

This is simply not true. I am using all sforget's rules (Un-Portal, CPC's etc.) without any problem in TRS 2006 and TRS 2007. The solution for the mentioned problem ist the use of Time Check (MiZi has updated it, so it works also in saved sessions) which triggers the CPC:Emit Train as child rule. No Abandon Schedule and such is necessary. Is quite simple.

I have seen several posts in this thread saying that the current version of the Timecheck rule works. It does not work properly for TRS04. I downloaded the latest version of the rule that I could for TRS04: kuid2:122381: 10008:1. (There may be a later version for TRS06) and did extensive testing. The rule stops working (in TRS04) after a save (of a DRIVER SESSION) and restore!

I have worked out a patch for this - see my earlier post here
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=172706&postcount=24

This post has been edited to correct the patch - the first version was buggy.

Back