Running trains to a timetable using sessions in TRS06

Paulsw2

Ambling on the slow line
Hi everyone and apologies if this query has been answered before (I very much suspect I has been, so I guess I'm being a little bit lazy). :eek:

My query - I've created a new layout that is a glorified oval with up and down re-rail portals on one side and a station on the other.

Can I run set trains to a timetable through my station to/from the portals and then sit back and watch or maybe take over as the trains arrive and then depart from the platforms? It's kind of like the model rail concept I used to love when I was a junior rail modeller.

I notice that the portals can emit defined consists at set time intervals (eg. every 5 minutes), but this, obviously, is not the same as timetabled running.

Apologies if this is a very obvious query to those of you who are wizards of operations, but I've spent most of the last 18 months in surveyor just, well, creating, and I'm now trying to catch-up on the operational/driver side of things. :eek:

:confused: oh! no responses to this then? where are the session wizards when you need them? there must be a way to do it as I thought that sessions in TRS were meant to be a very flexible tool. oh dear! :(

Yes, I think it has been answered before, but I can't find the reference, I guess I'm being a little bit lazy... :hehe:
Either
1. Use one of the other portals on the DLS rather than the built-in ones. These may have the facility to emit a train at specified time rather than just at an interval
2. Use the rule "Portal Manager"
3. Set your portal to emit trains at a set interval, send them to a "off-scene" fan of holding sidings, then use the "Wait Until Time HH:MM" rule to send them to the "real" part of the route.

Is this any help?

timetable Portal Operations

Yes, I think it has been answered before, but I can't find the reference, I guess I'm being a little bit lazy... :hehe:
Either
1. Use one of the other portals on the DLS rather than the built-in ones. These may have the facility to emit a train at specified time rather than just at an interval
2. Use the rule "Portal Manager"
3. Set your portal to emit trains at a set interval, send them to a "off-scene" fan of holding sidings, then use the "Wait Until Time HH:MM" rule to send them to the "real" part of the route.

Is this any help?

I have been researching this problem for some tme now and there is no time trigger rule other than the Wait Until Time Rule. The problem with this is if you want a train to emerge in the first 15 minutes of a session and then not again until the next day, it can't be done.

And the solution of "off scene" holding sidings, is flawed in that it can never be large enough to hold all the trains that will be emitted. We definately need a time trigger. With it and the Emit Train on Trigger, we could run scheduled trains.

This is one of the previous replies (not so lazy today:hehe: )http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=6770
You could also investigate the SCS2006 rule. SCS is "Scenario Creation System" by TrainzProRoutes. Its on the DLS, but if you download it from the TrainzProRoutes site, you can also get the instruction manual. It can be set up to create a consist at at trackmark (doesn't even need a portal) at a set time.
Can't find the link just now though...:eek:

There are two commands - "wait until hour" and "wait until minute" - that might help. Using them with portals could be tricky though - what I did once was have a cycling 1-hr system, where every train was stored on an offstage boards in a dedicated loop (like a model railway), then by linking portals together you could send them in one at a time.

This means that instead of the randomization given by portals, the portals do not actually generate any trains - they act more like tunnels to the offstage area.

BidMod

Emit from Portal on Timetable

This is one of the previous replies (not so lazy today:hehe: )http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=6770 . . . .
...:eek:

Wow, A solution that will emit trains from a portal on a schedule. A bit awkward, but workable. Seems a "Trigger at Time" rule would do the trick, but alas, no one has volunteered to write the rule. Would that I could but alas, I have not the knowledge or training.

I will be implimenting this scheme. I'll report back on my sucess.

Dap

Thanks for these responses. I'm very surprised that timetabled running, surely at the heart of railway operations, doesn't seem to be at all easy to implement in TRS.

Am I right in thinking that the SCS2006 rule is actually a way of implementing 'scenarios' in TRS06 by disguising them as a 'session', which begs the question, which is the more powerful method of managing operations in Trainz, scenarios or sessions? :confused:

One other point, isn't there an 'emit now' rule? does this mean you can get a portal to emit the train/consist you want, at the time you want in Driver? If so, this would mean you could manually implement the timetable doesn't it?

Scenario

Thanks for these responses. I'm very surprised that timetabled running, surely at the heart of railway operations, doesn't seem to be at all easy to implement in TRS.

Am I right in thinking that the SCS2006 rule is actually a way of implementing 'scenarios' in TRS06 by disguising them as a 'session', which begs the question, which is the more powerful method of managing operations in Trainz, scenarios or sessions? :confused:

Hi paulsW2,

SCS2006 is the best way I know of to write a proper scenario in Trainz. This rule uses commands to do what ever you want with trains including schedules having several trains running at the same time.
If you are uncertain about this, download several scenarios using SCS2006.

SCS2006 gives you the opportunity to use commands to make the trains in your scenariodo what you want them to do (See the "New Users Reference Manual" on TPR site for more information.

Happy trainzing

The sessions of the Crewe route run to careful timetable and I have documented the method in various threads. This is the only method I have found that works reliably.
I am just putting the finishing touches to a Crewe session '100 Trains' during which more than 100 trains pass through Crewe on a strict timetable over 3 hours including engine changes, shunting, breaking down and making up trains etc. the existing '50 Trains' session already uploaded utilizes all the control techniques I have configured to achieve timetable working - and it works GREAT!

The method as documented talks about the use of Path Control - I have found however that while this works it is not reliable once things get really busy so I am converting to use of Path Rule which is built in to TRS2006. Although path rule is not quite as sophisticated it has proved to be more reliable as well as able to support train breakdown and make up much more easily.

Segy

Last edited:

Yes you are right, it's not easy.
One simple method is: after emiting from the portal use 'abandon schedule' and put the train to the yard to the trackmark x, then use 'wait until hour' and ' 'wait until minute' or 'scheduleattrackmark'. The great help is using 'portal manager', 'schedule library' and 'emit train now'.
'Portal manager' is very useful because you can manage the different drivers for the same schedule in the time between 1-60 minutes.

Many thanks for these replies. I think the issue for me is that I need to understand a lot more about the use of rules to manage sessions (too much time spent in surveyor building not operating!)

Fortunately, my station will be a lot less busy than Crewe(!), so hopefully easier to set up and run.

[goes away to research Segy's Crewe timetabling methodology in detail.....:eek: ]

Hi paulsW2,

SCS2006 is the best way I know of to write a proper scenario in Trainz. ...

I started using SCS2006, as (unless anyone knows better) it is the only way to manually drive a train along a set path within a complicated route, without having to switch every single junction as you go.
While there are "Path Set" commands for AI, when driving the train yourself, you need to tell the AI driver to abandon the train, which then looses all Path Set commands. SCS allows you do this, and after all I bought TRainz because I'm a Train Driver, not a Route Builder!

ah, this is very interesting, because a key piece of functionality I'm looking for is the ability to jump on a loco, manually take it over from the AI, drive its train into or out of the station and then jump off and let it go on its way to its programmed destination (which will be a nominated portal).

I have noticed that the conventional session rules in TRS06 seem to imply that, if you do manually take over a train, it completely abandons its schedule and that's that. So once more SCS2006 seems to come to the fore!

But....can anyone explain the idea that, in SCS2006, trains don't have drivers? Is that true? What does it all mean? :confused:

I have noticed that the conventional session rules in TRS06 seem to imply that, if you do manually take over a train, it completely abandons its schedule and that's that. So once more SCS2006 seems to come to the fore!

But....can anyone explain the idea that, in SCS2006, trains don't have drivers? Is that true? What does it all mean? :confused:

Check on the forum SCS2006 on the TPR site, Thackalane will give you the answer:p

I have noticed that the conventional session rules in TRS06 seem to imply that, if you do manually take over a train, it completely abandons its schedule and that's that.

Only if you choose Abandon Schedule. Right clicking in the Driver's command area allows you to choose Stop Train. Do whatever you want, driving manually, delete the commands you've completed, then right click and choose Continue schedule. If I've misunderstood, ignore this.
Norm

ah, this is very interesting, because a key piece of functionality I'm looking for is the ability to jump on a loco, manually take it over from the AI, drive its train into or out of the station and then jump off and let it go on its way to its programmed destination (which will be a nominated portal).

I've not tried this, but it might work in conventional session rules.
Set up a Trigger Check rule to issue Driver Setup (ie the same as one of the 3 rules that are present by default) to continue the session.
1. AI drives train to near station.
2. Tell driver to Get Off Train
3. Manually drive train into and out of station.
4. Train hits a trigger
5. Trigger issues Driver Setup rules that assign a driver to this train.

In SCS2006, trains don't have drivers. Each train will follow a set of rules, set up via the SCS2006 Rule in surveyor. Each train can be set to either autopilot or manual control, (only 1 manual control at a time of course!) and may be swapped back and forth between the two at any time, either at a set time or on a certain trackmark or trigger. Each train will hold its rules whatever the control method.

Both this andthe Trigger Check/Driver Setup method will require setting up in surveyor beforehand. Are you looking for a method where, during a session, you can choose which train (or none at all) to take over by manual control? These 2 ideas may not be flexible enough for that.

Just some ideas though, Paul. Hope it helps.

Only if you choose Abandon Schedule. Right clicking in the Driver's command area allows you to choose Stop Train. Do whatever you want, driving manually, delete the commands you've completed, then right click and choose Continue schedule...
Norm
hmm, this sounds suspiciously straightforward! I assume when you choose 'stop train' the train stops dead in its tracks before you take over? which may look a little strange as the train approaches the station! however I'll try it out.

Are you looking for a method where, during a session, you can choose which train (or none at all) to take over by manual control?
Yes please, that's exactly what I'm looking for - a sort of model railway style of running your trains about.

These 2 ideas may not be flexible enough for that.
oh! :(

Back