Replacing (non-track) assets in TRS2006 and TC3

durhamlass

Here's an interesting question, raised by the fact that I've recently noticed that some TRS2006 assets have crept into my TC3 route.

If you had to replace a significant number of assets (e.g. scenery items; not track as I know these can be dealt with in TrainzMap) would it be better to: *

a) Back port to TRS2004, and use TrainzObjectz to replace them. Then port forwards to TC3 again (note that I'm using TC3 specific signalling, so '04 probably wouldn't be able to edit the map itself).

b) Port forwards to TRS2009 WBE, use the "Replace Assets" tool and then back port again to TC3 (I'm assuming I'd have to merge TC3 assets into '09 to get this to work).

c) Something else entirely (please elaborate...)

Has anyone attempted either of these, and if so how did it go? What sort of issues did you run into?

* Of course this would be a moot question if TrainzObjectz worked with TRS2006 and TC3 directly, but c'est la vie.

Funny that, I've been thinking about this too after having a similar problem....

I got round it by deleting the assets from CMP loading the route and deleting missing KUIDS, but there was only a few instances of each, there wasn't too much rework. So, how to replace a lot of assets......?

I can't comment on a) as I've never used 2004.

Maybe not b) - you risk getting your route stuck in TS2009, as the version is updated when you save after replacing assets. Whether you can then roll back the Trainz-build and still load into TC3, would need a test to determine.....

As for c) I thought by adding the KUID of the asset needing replacement to the obsolete table of the new asset might do the trick. But when I test it the same assets are still there in the route. Does this obsoleting method work, or am I missing something obvious?

Sorry, not too much help there.:confused:

Lots of the same thing or lots of different things?

If it's lots of the same thing, then try adding an obsolete table entry in the config of the item you want to use, and referring it to the item you want to replace. I've never tried it, but as far as I can see, it should work.

It may be possible to replace non-track splines by changing both the original spline and the replacement spline to track in their configs (not possible with all splines), and using trainzmap before converting them back. Of course this idea is also untried... :eek:

Of your other options, I suspect (a) would have best chance of working, as TS2009 almost certainly would convert the map in the replacement process.

It's also worth remembering that a lot of folks who have TC3 have ported their TRS06 assets into it. so perhaps it's not a huge problem, so long as your route's description makes it clear.

Hope this variable rambling is of some help...

Paul

Trs2009 somehow alters everything. Reverting to Trs2006 with the usual tricks does not seem to work.
The obsolete table appears to be redunant also.

I another post I mentioned that a built in texture changes colour when going from Trs2006 to TRS2009. In TRS2009 the replace feature works perfectly, but as I use Trs2006 for texturing etc, this really causes a hassle.

The obsolete table trick only worked with different KUIDs in TRS04. Beginning with TRS06 and above you can only obsolete items with the same User ID and now in TS2009 I believe you can only obsolete your own creations.

Going back to TRS2004 is the only real option but I have never seen the steps needed to get a TC3 map into TRS04 so I don't know if it is possible.

If the assets work for you in TC3, I don't see a problem with leaving them as is.

William

Thanks for the suggestions!

There aren't actually that many individual assets - but one of them is a hedge spline, and there are lots of them! It's probably only a couple of evenings work to nail them, but I thought I'd see if there was a straightforward alternative.

I did have a mess around with the configs to see if anything was possible there, but without luck. As others have suggested, the potential problem with porting via '04 or '09 is back porting.

Of course, if the format for the map files was documented, it wouldn't be at all difficult to knock a simple external application together to manipulate them directly - but as the files look like they are binary, I suspect doing so without any documentation would be rather risky and time consuming.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was under the impression that the baseboards were a different grid size in TC3 and certainly TS2009, so your map would not work in TRS2004 anyway. I don't have TS2009 installed personally, but, maybe a regular user can confirm that for you.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Hello,

I was under the impression that the baseboards were a different grid size in TC3 and certainly TS2009, so your map would not work in TRS2004 anyway. I don't have TS2009 installed personally, but, maybe a regular user can confirm that for you.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

As I understand it '09 has a new high res (5m) grid size, but I don't know whether an imported map saved in '09 would be converted to that grid size or retain the 10m grid. I don't know about '04, but if it's anything other than 10m that's the first I've heard of it.

TS2009 has a large number of changes to layout file formats that cause layouts to not work in previous versions (in many cases, they won't work in older builds of 09 as well). It hasn't been recommended that layouts be used in previous versions of Trainz to the ones they were built in, as each version may have changes to the map formats.

Zec

Back