Raising track?

titaniclover

TS2010EE SP3; Build 49933
How do you raise track? Like a hill only I want it to be raised then lowered again in another area. :D

Also when I go to rasie track on a curve it looks very wierd.
I have run across this in my route and I would like to make it as real as possible.

In other words I dont know how to raise track and put ground underneath.

Any advice and or tips?:confused:

1) you could raise the spline points but this is not an exact way to do it.
2) As said below use the gradient tool (click the advance tab at the bottom of the track tab. the bottom row is for spline points the row above is for the gradient. set the gradient in the middle window, click the button to the right then click on the track near the spline point. place a minus before the gradient number (-0.25) will make the track descend. The left button will collect the gradient of track already placed if you wish to check or match it. When track is layed click the button on the right top row. Now click on the track and the ground will meet the track.

1) you could raise the spline points but this is not an exact way to do it.
You can set the exact height of any spline point. Just input the height you want (in meters) and use apply height tool. Using this and the gradient tool should be the way you set the height of all the spline points to grade the route. You can then manually move the terrain to suite the grade profile you've created. Using the smooth spline tool will also move the terrain but the width of area affected is often too wide. If any of the spline heights aren't set by the apply height or gradient tool then they will also move when you adjust the terrain height. This will change the grade profile and result in uneven and bumpy track.

Bob Pearson

Here is how I do it....there is probably a better way

I raise the 1st square .25M skip a square raise the next square .5M and so on. On one layout trains go from 0 to 50M. Now heres my trick to smooth out the lumpy track. Use raise lower track button to slightly lower the track on each spline point which takes out the lumps. This is a painful and slow process....there is probably a better way but I gotten good results.

I'll keep watching:eek: thread for a better idea.

I raise the 1st square .25M skip a square raise the next square .5M and so on. On one layout trains go from 0 to 50M. Now heres my trick to smooth out the lumpy track. Use raise lower track button to slightly lower the track on each spline point which takes out the lumps. This is a painful and slow process....there is probably a better way but I gotten good results.

I'll keep watching:eek: thread for a better idea.

Lumpy track? Use the get spline height button to get the height of the spline and then click on the set spline height button to set it's height in stone. Then click on the flatten land under track button (I'm not sure what it's called. I don't hover the mouse over it for too long when working in surveyor but it's at the top of the advanced section of the tracks tab on the far right.

use that instead.... Smooths the lumpy bits out and pulls the land up or down to meet the base of the track...

regards

Harry

Howdy......... I use both, the GRADIENT for when I want a grade at a specific percent degree, and the SPLINE HEIGHT when I want a specific height. The SMOOTH SPLINE HEIGHT can then be used on either one.

You can set the exact height of any spline point. Just input the height you want (in meters) and use apply height tool. Using this and the gradient tool should be the way you set the height of all the spline points to grade the route. You can then manually move the terrain to suite the grade profile you've created. Using the smooth spline tool will also move the terrain but the width of area affected is often too wide. If any of the spline heights aren't set by the apply height or gradient tool then they will also move when you adjust the terrain height. This will change the grade profile and result in uneven and bumpy track.

Bob Pearson

What i meant by not an exact way was that doing it by spline points only would not give a smooth incline to the track and gradient will. That is unless you intended to measure the distance between every spline point like sethmcs and then fiddle with each point.

No argument. But if you just use the gradient tool you have no control over the final height. If it doesn't work out right then you'd have to play with the gradient. I prefer to set it by fixing the first point and then working out a grade profile to use. If you say measuring distances is to hard I can't refute that - it's a personal opinion. You can however using the two apporaches get a very smooth grade profile that fits into the terrain and/or matches a prototype you're following.

Bob Pearson

First get some jacks, a 150t crane and about 50t or so of roadbed...:p
Just use the spline height tool for that, but if you want a steady grade use the track grading tool. This way it doesn't look really bumpy.

WileeCoyote:D

Back