Railworks heads into Muti Player by Next year

Yup. I bought KRS back in 07. Back then the community was very rude, not helpful at all, and really put me off of the game. The mediocre gameplay finished the job.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I bought Railworks to see if things had improved since they broke away from EA games. The community was non existant(Minus the assholes who where the only people that I could find. Things weren't looking good.) and the gameplay was pretty much the same. The only difference was that my graphics card caused the trucks on everything to become ghosts. I tried to find a solution, and surprisingly was able to find one... a month and a half later. My thread was ignored(64 views, no replies), and I only found out how to fix it because one of the "veterans"(see 12 year old who claims to be a railroad employee despite not knowing any rules and regulations.) suddenly suffered the same problem. Every moderator but one quickly came to his aid. I mentioned that I had had the same problem and asked why my thread was blatantly ignored. All I got in reply was one of the mods(who also claimed to be part of the DEV team) saying "LOL, what a n00b."

According to steam, I have played Railworks for 89 minutes.

Just to save starting another thread I wanted to ask ; I have the original KUJU Rail Simulator bought in September 2008 and it has hardly :eek: been used. I'd like to sell it but I registered it, so would this cause any problems for a potential buyer?

So far as I recall, Rail Simulator didn't require any sort of online activation or other action which would kill resale. However RSC pretty much discontinued all suuport for it when they went on to Railworks, I don't think you can even get the editor pack (which you did have to sign up for) any more from their site. Without that, it's pretty much just a standalone as is product. Doubt you would get more than a couple of quid - not even enough to pay Ebay seller fees or postage.

Thanks for that but I sold my MSTS + Great British Diesels + Rail Modeller and got a fair price for them. I just don't want to sell it and have a buyer bitching that they can't use it. It's quite a fun game but I just want to reduce my clutter.

Hey

I have Railworks2 and find it very annoying, the constant crashes with the sim and route editor. While the graphics are decent i found myself returning to msts and giving open rails a try.

The DLC is a big drawback, as some DLC costs more than the actual game. In total there is $1377 USD worth of steam DLC!. Rail Sim.com should not be rushing into making dlc when they haven't even got there main sim working up to standard, it has a whole range of issues, which they have said, will be fixed in a new core update which is continually being procrastinated.

As for the multiplayer. I do not see this aspect going very far at all, considering how many little kids are now playing this sim. I'm not saying that everyone who plays Railworks is a kid, but i worry that there will there be kids who just want to crash and not play properly, Railworks is intended to be a Train Simulator not a game. As far as i know ;)

If you take a look on Facebook, you will see all the new groups being started by kids who think they are going to make a wide variety of new routes, assets, locos and rolling stock. Unfortunately some of these promises can not be kept to. The community is becoming full of people spamming screen shots of their new WIP routes and Demanding feedback. It has come to the point where its not possible to look on the Official Rail sim Facebook page without seeing this.

Last edited:
So then QM7A, why on earth don't you do your self a favor and and get TS10 or 12, I simply can't understand why you buy every thing ells but.

I find Trains far superior in every way, I grant you that Rail works had better looking graphics in the past, but them days have long since gone, quite frankly I think you are punishing your self for no reason.

If I had to pick from scratch, I'd get TS10 and have one build up to 44088, for the older stuff and one build at 45432 for multiplayer, and the newer stuff.

Why Suffer!!!!;)

Surely it can't be a (my game is better than yours) thing, can it?
If it is, and I really hope for your sake that this isn't the case, because that would be just too sad.:(

So then QM7A, why on earth don't you do your self a favor and and get TS10 or 12, I simply can't understand why you buy every thing ells but.

I find Trains far superior in every way, I grant you that Rail works had better looking graphics in the past, but them days have long since gone, quite frankly I think you are punishing your self for no reason.

If I had to pick from scratch, I'd get TS10 and have one build up to 44088, for the older stuff and one build at 45432 for multiplayer, and the newer stuff.

Why Suffer!!!!;)

Surely it can't be a (my game is better than yours) thing, can it?
If it is, and I really hope for your sake that this isn't the case, because that would be just too sad.:(

Couldn't have said it better Jonathon. I own a good number of various Trainz versions I also own railworks and railworks2.

I got jumped on the other day by a railworks groupie in these very forums:hehe: for making the comment that compared to TS12 running JointedRail locomotives and rolling stock railworks2 has rather cartoonish graphics compared to TS12 under those circumstances.

Now I wasn't just comparing stock content from railworks2 against payware for Trainz either:D I was comparing the same locomotive that was payware in each simulator to each other.

But I was merely trying to explain to someone who asked why railworks ran so much smoother and it was simple because they run two different graphics engines, which they do. When you point that out, the railworks fanatics tend to get a little upset:hehe:

I suspect it depends on the system - I don't have the bucks for a nuclear powered Game Dominator 3000, still chugging along on a five year old Dell. On my system, last time I ran RW a year ago, it looked good and ran smoothly. TS2010 doesn't look as good and any route with speedtrees tanks the framerates and causes rubber banding, whatever I do with my graphics settings and system tweaking doesn't help - I simply need better hardware. Even without speedtrees it loads slowly and pops both scenery and baseboards in and out when moving in free cam from one part of the route to another. It also freezes on me constantly, especially in surveyor, usually when switching from track to the scenery tab or back and forth between scenery and splines.

Graphically Railworks has Trainz beat because of the beautifully rendered switches and better game engine. Operationally Trainz beats them all, since any switch on the route can be thrown by the player unless an AI has it locked - which it doesn't do until it gets close enough to actually need it. MSTS won't allow the player to throw automatic switches in an activity at all, and if you run AI trains over manual switches the "Murphy" factor comes into play - if the player can throw the switch at the wrong time he eventually will, sending AI traffic via the scenic route to la la land. Railsim/Railworks was even worse - after doing the whole idiotic manual VS automatic switch nonsense again, they discovered their AI trains tended to get confused if the player threw a manual switch on the AI train's path - so their first patch made it so the AI train locks every single switch, manual and automatic, along its path so the player can't change any of those switches even if the AI train isn't due to start running for 7 hours.

That's why I'm here, I GOTTA have intelligent and versatile AI traffic, railworks AI is hopelessly retarded and only works (when it does work) on multitrack mainlines where the paths never ever ever intersect. Even then there's very little rooom for error, the player being a few minutes earlier or later than the AI predicted will throw the whole pattern into confusion since the AI doesn't actually pay any attention to the signals - they're merely decoration.

Fighting holy wars was a chronic problem until people who wanted improvements finally gave up in disgust, now there's nobody left for the cheerleaders to fight with. There were occasional intelligent discussions like the one I started two years ago;

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?285908-Attitude-Check!

Some familiar names there, like Phil who convinced me Trainz had what I needed (thanks Phil!). "NorthernWarrior" is Vern, who still can't make up his mind. :hehe:
But even there some footy fans came in and griped about all the "advertising for Trainz". The idea was to find out what people thought railworks did BETTER than Trainz, apparently the only answer was appearance. I haven't had RW installed for over a year now, so I don't even know if they ever fixed the headlight projection or not, but from what I've read they have not fixed the AI or scenario editor (ridiculously complicated Rube Goldberg contraption) since they don't consider them "broken". If it takes six weeks to set up and debug ONE simple meet that falls apart like a house of cards if you sneeze on it, I consider that broken. Trainz has a lot of problems and desperately needs a newer more efficient game engine, but for me there's simply nothing better available right now.

Hang in there sniper as the days tick by the hardware gets cheaper.
I got a Intel i5 2500k CPU and Asus P8P 67Pro mobo for £345
A CM Storm scout case and 700W PSU for £130
and 8gig DDR3 memory for £61

TS12 go's like S#!t off a shovel.

Ps; The rest I salvaged from my old one.

Last edited:
In that case Welcome Back, but I whish you would have asked us which one to buy,
TS12 is still very much beta at the moment.

j_maybury

TS12 is no longer a 'beta', since it has been officially (publicly) released as a full release, not a beta version. Our only 'public' beta test at this time is the TS2010 multiplayer beta.

Please do not call officially released versions 'beta' versions, as this is not correct, and can lead to confusion.

Granted, there may be some bugs/issues with the current build, however this does not mean it is a 'beta' version. Otherwise all software would be stuck in the 'beta' state for all eternity...

Hang in there sniper as the days tick by the hardware gets cheaper.
I got a Intel i5 2500k CPU and Asus P8P 67Pro mobo for £345
A CM Storm scout case and 700W PSU for £130
and 8gig DDR3 memory for £61

TS12 go's like S#!t off a shovel.

Ps; The rest I salvaged from my old one.

Exactly I have a 3 1/2 year old Dell (or did:hehe:)

I started little by little first added hard drives, then memory, then when I knew that I would eventually change the video card I replaced the power supply and then the video card, then I went ahead and put it in a new case and watercooled it,yesterday I just ordered a factory refurbished third-party motherboard that I will be replacing the Dell speced Intel board with which will leave me with the DVD drive being the only original component:D

Now it really hasn't cost me that much over the original price of the machine since I've done all the work myself and done it little by little getting huge bargains here and there. And yes my machine runs TS12 speedtreez and all like a speed demon.

Because all toll if I had to count the original price of the machine and all the enhancements I've made in the last three and half years it would probably be close to 1639, but I spent 999 on the machine three and half years ago so that puts me right about $639 and I've got a machine that can go another three and or four years without much of an issue.

So when someone says that they don't have a machine to run Trainz, I always kind of scratch my head because I'm on a fixed income and have been for about four years now and I can save up and buy a piece at a time and make what I have better. And I guess I just kind of figure I don't know why anyone else can't…

Edit… I went back and actually ran the expenses and while I guessed at 1500, I was actually $139 short

But my point is I have the machine I want, with everything I wanted in it. I just built it over 3 1/2 years

Last edited:
Sorry Zec for my poor choice of wording you are right it is a officially released versions.
what I should have said that TS12 is still quite buged at the moment.

Sorry Zec for my poor choice of wording you are right it is a officially released versions.
what I should have said that TS12 is still quite buged at the moment.

Well I don't know if I would agree with that actually. Are there some issues caused by programming changes? Such as shadow mesh poly limits and the spline attachment radius issue? Yes, but they're programming changes, it's really not fair to categorize them as a bug.

Frankly I've run TS12 pretty much inside out creating my own maps with TransDem and using nothing but native mode content, as well as run just about every built-in map at least for a cursory look, (I run Mojave sub end to end quite a few times) and I've not noticed anything glaring what I would consider bugs.

So I don't know if the term "quite bugged" would even come close. Now TS 2009, when there was a 50-50 chance prior to the first service pack when it would take a database repair before it would even launch, that might be considered a bug:D but most of the issues that I've seen people complaining about TS 12 have been regarding programming changes and the lack of compatibility mode, things that were actually designed into the game.

Last edited:
Hello, I have both Railworks and well TRS2006, both have there advantages and disadvantages. However I'm happy with both.

Back