Railroad Maps For Google Earth

That's cool!

It's great seeing the old Boston and Maine in its fully glory, around the turn of the last century. There are line on here that were removed in the 1920s through the 1950s including the Haverhill (Bradford) to Georgetown, Georgetown to Newburyport, The Salem and Swampscott to Marblehead and other lines such as the complete WRNP (Worcester, Rochester, Nashua, and Portland), and Suncook Valley, which once ran to Barnstead New Hampshire from Hooksett.

John

@JCitron
They have the B&A too, so might be something you and Steamboat (I think thats his user name?) Could use?

@Everyone else
I'll vouch for these. I only looked at GN and C,M,&STP and even those just at the PNW, but I was seeing what I was expecting to see, and even some things that explained some things I'd never figured out before (MILW had a branch off Rattlesnake lake North to Everett I never really could figure out, until now!)

Falcus

kmz files can also be used in Transdem "as is" on top of the DEM data and then used to download the map overlay.

Nice find, Harold.

A Great site, Thanks for the link. Since we use Google Earth frequently as a reference for laying terrain on the Hoosac route; these maps simplify the search.

Has many historical rail lines including documented lines like the Surrey Sussex & Southampton Ry:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vaschs/SLCfinal.htm

Lots of good stuff
TransDEM is great. Using the KMZ from the site we have the S,S & S:

surrey.jpg

The real world is so big, now gotta find my book on the S,S&S

Great stuff!!
Harold

With a new product sometimes vendors change file names or formats to suit a new feature. I have held off making a Transdem based route near my home because I want it to look as real as possible. The new product "should" be able to do that. So, a question would be, are there any changes in TANE that would make today's Trainz based tools obsolete, or difficult to use, in the future?

With a new product sometimes vendors change file names or formats to suit a new feature. I have held off making a Transdem based route near my home because I want it to look as real as possible. The new product "should" be able to do that. So, a question would be, are there any changes in TANE that would make today's Trainz based tools obsolete, or difficult to use, in the future?
What has that got to do with this thread?

Should start a new thread with that as a topic. There might be a response.

Hate to see a thread get spammed out.

Harold

Last edited:
Back