QUESTION: Realism... Speed around curves and not derailing.

jcardana

Trainz Enthusiast
QUESTION [SOLVED]: Realism... Speed around curves and not derailing.

Hi Fellow Trainzienz,

BACKGROUND:
I just got TRS2019 after 7 years with TRS12. I developed a little program that calculates speed limits around curves. With TRS2019, I'm updating my formula.

I made a test track starting with 1000m radius curves and going down to 100m in 100m increments.

While traveling 60mph, I'm able to negotiate ALL curves. It's not until the 300m curve that I get "Rough Handling". On the 200m curve, I get "Rough Handling" and "Excessive Curve Speed". On the 100m curve, I only get "Excessive Curve Speed". While Derailment is set to realistic, the train never derails. It seems a 10/1 ratio works. Meaning at 60mph, a 600m radius curve would be the minimum. But that still seems a bit sharp.

QUESTION:
What speed/curve formula are the developers using to determine if a train derails?

ALT QUESTIONS:
What actions prompt a "Rough Handling" notification? I have a train with 2 locos, 5 flatcars w/Trailers and 5 boxcars with Tissue and a caboose. I nudge the throttle in position 1 and get "Rough Handling".

Am I missing a Rule or Setting that adjusts "Realism"?

Thank you for your time,
Joe

Last edited:
I've noticed that the "Excessive curve speed" message occurs on entrance and exit from the curve its self when coming off a straight away. If the curve is eased, no matter what speed, this message is non-existent. I've seen this as low as 15 mph on my trolley route where sharp curves are a necessity.

TRS19 dose not have derailment, the old code would not work and new code is on the to do list.

Thanks! That's saving me a lot of frustration. I love forums!

So I've simplified my formula. Does a Max speed of 60mph around a 1000 meter curve sound about right? I'm not finding much in the way of resources online.

It's working

TrainsCalculator.png

I've noticed that the "Excessive curve speed" message occurs on entrance and exit from the curve its self when coming off a straight away. If the curve is eased, no matter what speed, this message is non-existent. I've seen this as low as 15 mph on my trolley route where sharp curves are a necessity.

I saw something about that on a wiki page, going to experiment with easements. Thanks!

Back