How do I create [more] realistic yards/ladders?

tirediron

Because what I have now could hardly be any less realistic... Hoping for some guidance in creating more prototypical yard ladders and turnouts. The problem I am encountering is that I can’t seem to get the angles tight enough where the individual yard lines branch off the lead. For reference, I am using various forms of the Protrack North America 136RE Rail and creating my curves using the Curve Radius tools supplied by maddog 1169. Thethe screen capture below shows the best that I have been able to achieve, despite hours of playing around and the orange lines on highlight the issue. I am hoping to achieve a must more realistic appearance where the yard lines come straight to the lead and join with a tight radius curve. Any suggestions on ways to improve would be GREATLY appreciated. Image Link: http://www.johnsphotography.ca/hold/Temp3/Yard_Ladder.jpg

If you haven't already, try CS_Yard Template_1 ( <KUID:37522:9972>) on the download station. It's important that you straighten the tracks immediately after the curves coming off the switch. Although I find the switch curvature to be a bit tight, it seems to be pretty consistent with many photos I've seen of real yard ladders.

--Lamont

PS: Although it's labeled TS2004, it's worked with every version of Trainz I've used up through TANE SP3 (don't have a later version).

If you haven't already, try CS_Yard Template_1 ( <KUID:37522:9972>) on the download station. It's important that you straighten the tracks immediately after the curves coming off the switch. Although I find the switch curvature to be a bit tight, it seems to be pretty consistent with many photos I've seen of real yard ladders.

--Lamont

PS: Although it's labeled TS2004, it's worked with every version of Trainz I've used up through TANE SP3 (don't have a later version).
Thanks! Giving it a whirl.

I used Google Satellite view on several large yards around the country, and it appeared for the most part that junctions took off at about 11 degrees. Using the Trainz grid, that worked out for me to be about 8 squares up to one square over (working with the smaller squares on the grid). The ladders want to be about half a square apart, so just getting four squares up will get you half a one over. I know this is very inexact, not giving any actual physical measurements, and that seems overly long at times, but the yards definitely come out looking good.
EDIT: After looking at your screenshot, I can see you don't have the grid to work with, so maybe estimate? Also, as you are setting up a ladder with tracks half a square apart you may find a tendency for them to snap together at the ends. To avoid that, use a shift-click to click the end of the spline in place. That will force it to stay put.

Last edited:
I used Google Satellite view on several large yards around the country, and it appeared for the most part that junctions took off at about 11 degrees. Using the Trainz grid, that worked out for me to be about 8 squares up to one square over (working with the smaller squares on the grid). The ladders want to be about half a square apart, so just getting four squares up will get you half a one over. I know this is very inexact, not giving any actual physical measurements, and that seems overly long at times, but the yards definitely come out looking good.
EDIT: After looking at your screenshot, I can see you don't have the grid to work with, so maybe estimate? Also, as you are setting up a ladder with tracks half a square apart you may find a tendency for them to snap together at the ends. To avoid that, use a shift-click to click the end of the spline in place. That will force it to stay put.

Thanks for doing the math on that one - will definitely try that with a new ladder I'll be putting in shortly.

--Lamont

Thanks again - that was perfect for the issue I had. Looks 1000x better now.

I should have mentioned the tracks being half a square apart on center, which is also what is shown in the tutorial video above, so the edges are actually much closer, which is why you may have to use shift-click, and sorry for the run-on sentence.

Don't be too concerned about how neat your yard looks. Our yards are way too neat and clean with track that's too perfectly laid.

This is East Deerfield yard on the former Boston and Maine, now jointly owned by CSX and NS as part of the Pan Am Southern.

East-Deerfield-Yard.jpg

Things in real life look well, real or natural. But when viewing in something like Trainz messed up track work looks sloppy. It also applies to roadways or whatever
I've went to google maps or earth and measured the distance from the switch machine to the frog to get a general idea of the distance. Same goes for crossovers.

Don't be too concerned about how neat your yard looks. Our yards are way too neat and clean with track that's too perfectly laid.

This is East Deerfield yard on the former Boston and Maine, now jointly owned by CSX and NS as part of the Pan Am Southern.

East-Deerfield-Yard.jpg

Looks like a Friday afternoon job! :)

East-Deerfield-Yard.jpg

Fair point!

I should have mentioned the tracks being half a square apart on center, which is also what is shown in the tutorial video above, so the edges are actually much closer, which is why you may have to use shift-click, and sorry for the run-on sentence.
Hi friend
I appreciate the clarification about the track spacing being half a square apart. The tutorial video was helpful, and the tip about using shift-click is a great addition.

Things in real life look well, real or natural. But when viewing in something like Trainz messed up track work looks sloppy. It also applies to roadways or whatever
I've went to google maps or earth and measured the distance from the switch machine to the frog to get a general idea of the distance. Same goes for crossovers.
Hello
For a simulation to be immersive, like Trainz, it must be realistic. Accuracy and authenticity of virtual trackwork and roads can be improved by using real-world measurements and reference sources, such as Google Maps.freefire name

Our yards are way too neat and clean with track that's too perfectly laid.

This is East Deerfield yard on the former Boston and Maine
How many decades back was that yard laid and what did the track look like at that time?
Has there since that time been any settling and shifting of the soil under the track?
Does the railroad call in the local media and the FRA every time that roughness lands wheels on the ground at that yard?

Reference item: https://www.aar.org/article/train-derailments/ (bold added by me)

The vast majority of train derailments happen in rail yards where the average train speed is about five MPH — not on mainline track running across the country. With rail yard derailments, injuries are rare, property damage is minimal and the impact on the local community is little to none. According to Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) data, for all of 2022, there were 952 Class I railroad train derailments, with about 77% occurring in rail yards and 23% on the mainline tracks.

Okay, so about 2 derailments a day in the yards in the US.

And that kind of track would be why.

Railroad is not likely to take that yard out of service for maybe two months to pull up that track, re-grade the earth, let the regraded earth settle, grade it again, and re-lay the ladder;
a whole bunch cheaper to just accept a couple derailments every couple years.

Full Disclosure: In N scale, HO scale, On30 scale, G scale, I've got too many decades of wanting reliable operation in my life to be comfortable with such roughness in Trainz, even though the operating physics of electrons are not identical to the operating physics of 3D tangible brass, nickel-silver, white metals, and plastic.

How many decades back was that yard laid and what did the track look like at that time?
Has there since that time been any settling and shifting of the soil under the track?
Does the railroad call in the local media and the FRA every time that roughness lands wheels on the ground at that yard?

Reference item: https://www.aar.org/article/train-derailments/ (bold added by me)

Okay, so about 2 derailments a day in the yards in the US.

And that kind of track would be why.

Railroad is not likely to take that yard out of service for maybe two months to pull up that track, re-grade the earth, let the regraded earth settle, grade it again, and re-lay the ladder;
a whole bunch cheaper to just accept a couple derailments every couple years.

Full Disclosure: In N scale, HO scale, On30 scale, G scale, I've got too many decades of wanting reliable operation in my life to be comfortable with such roughness in Trainz, even though the operating physics of electrons are not identical to the operating physics of 3D tangible brass, nickel-silver, white metals, and plastic.
That was once the Boston and Maine's flagship yard on the crossing of the Connecticut River line and the Boston to Mechanicville, NY mainline. There were once power switches throughout, according to a former trainman I spoke with the day I took that picture. At the time, he was working as railroad security and he told Mike (Steamboateng) and me about the operations. The tower controlled all the motorized switch machines and the lead, sort of seen in the foreground on the right had another line off of it where the bushes are today that ran to brand new (1940s) LCL freight and ice house. The structure can be seen along the road with trees growing out of it today.

The yard was kept up right through the B&M 1960s to late 1970s bankruptcy brought on by Patrick Mc Guinness and his mishandling of the B&M. The downfall came in 1982 when Guilford Transportation Industries got control the Maine Central then immediately the Boston and Maine, then subsequently the Delaware and Hudson. They cut track maintenance to the minimal. For them a 25 mph mainline was a bonus and the B&M mainline suffered as well, having gone from a 40-mph freight line to worse until NS put in money for their joint venture Pan Am Southern. As part of Guilford's destruction, they scrapped the power switches and put the hand throws in we see today.

The Lawarence, MA yard is worse.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8HAP9rWSt2bjaocH6

In this scene, the ripped-up track is the result of a derailment that occurred right at the throat of the yard. The yard was then fixed as seen in later images. Zoom in for a better view. This was the nexus of the 1987 strike. There are standing derailments here and were again after Guilford took over. The rumor is CSX will be rebuilding this too.

Back