Problem with portals on ai portal route.

Unlited

This has became a problem for me when I started the route. Every time I add a new consist to the high speed rail portals, which have both have 47 trains. every time I add the 48th consist to the portals, I get the property browser refresh error, and with that, I can't edit the portals anymore on the route. Even if I save the game then edit the route again and edit the portals, the same message appears, AND THEN I HAD to delete the route and then make it from scratch from the route's session, and I looked up how to fix the error with the portals and the error itself, but all I found was just coding stuff and other junk that lead to absolutely nothing.

The other portals on the route, the tram and the Amtrak/NJT line still continue to add trains, since that they're not at the 48th consist, and they work perfectly without any errors. If I set the compatibility mode to maximise performance, the error doesn't appear, but I can no longer add any consists to all of the portals on the route, even with the portals with the problem. Even if the compatibility mode isn't set to maximise performance, I can still add some random trains to the portals with the problem until the same error message appears.

I also tried a database repair, but when I edited the route and went to the portals, the same error message appeared. :'(

So do I have to do something to the portals with the problem, or delete something from the portals with the problem?

Don't use anything else except for compatibility mode, otherwise your assets will fail to operate properly. The maximize performance disable some aspects of the scripts causing things to fail.

Regarding the portals, I think you may have reached the maximum number of drivers allowed per portal not directly but due to the limitations of the program.

Don't use anything else except for compatibility mode, otherwise your assets will fail to operate properly. The maximize performance disable some aspects of the scripts causing things to fail.

Regarding the portals, I think you may have reached the maximum number of drivers allowed per portal not directly but due to the limitations of the program.
But what does that mean?? And how do I fix it??

But what does that mean?? And how do I fix it??

What it means is there's just so much space in memory to hold a number of consists. You have reached that limit by placing 47 consists and the 48th is one too many, therefore you get that error message. The memory here is used as a grid, or in programming terms, an array or table. The grid works like post office boxes or cubby holes to hold each consist and there are just so many slots to hold the data. In this case, the data is the consists.

Unfortunately, you can't fix this yourself. This is up to whoever created the code for the portals and since this code is built in and most likely encrypted it's up to N3V to fix it.

The only thing that you can do as far as I can tell is to use only 47 consists per portal and add additional portals if you want.

I don't understand why you need so many trains from a single portal. Are they all different? 47 is a lot of trainz to run in a single day. If your portal is spitting out high speed passenger trainz most rail companies use the same paint scheme so just have the portals emit the train more often. Once every minute or so according to your schedule. You could also put two portals side by side and stager the emit times so they alternate the use of the junction for the line they are using on your route. Build a staging yard like model railroaders do behind a wall or mountain with a tunnel for the trainz to come out of. John is likely correct on the limit reason. You may be the only person to use the portals in this manner, so they probably figured 47 was a good high number or it could just be an unsurpassable limit for Trainz or Windows. Just my opinion.

Jack

If the scripts are not protected, you could peruse around, especially for the sizes of array declarations.

I don't understand why you need so many trains from a single portal. Are they all different? 47 is a lot of trainz to run in a single day. If your portal is spitting out high speed passenger trainz most rail companies use the same paint scheme so just have the portals emit the train more often. Once every minute or so according to your schedule. You could also put two portals side by side and stager the emit times so they alternate the use of the junction for the line they are using on your route. Build a staging yard like model railroaders do behind a wall or mountain with a tunnel for the trainz to come out of. John is likely correct on the limit reason. You may be the only person to use the portals in this manner, so they probably figured 47 was a good high number or it could just be an unsurpassable limit for Trainz or Windows. Just my opinion.

Jack
I do it to make the scenario more realistic. If I add the second portal next to the portal with the problem, it'll might just keep selecting the second portal next to the portal with the problem, making it more unrealistic. That means the portal will select to produce the train one by one.

I just checked the Portal Basic by Auran. The file, portaltunnelinfo.gs is not encrypted.

If you wish to edit the portal script, you are going to need to clone the portal to create your own since this portal, like the other is built in or packaged. In addition to updating the script, you will also need to fix the textures afterwards because these are built-in or packaged assets and the textures are already compressed into their .texture files which are binary files only read by the game engine. To fix these .texture files, you will need to obtain PEV's Images 2 TGA. You can download this directly from Shane Turner's utilities page. He has a sticky on top of the General Trainz page on the forums.

You use Content Manager to modify any assets.

Highlight the portal you want to update.
Press CTRL+D to duplicate the asset. This will clone the portal asset.

Press CTRL+N to open a new window in Content Manager.
Change the filter to Open for Edit.

The cloned asset will appear as New Asset and will be open for edit. This will be a new asset with your username.

Right-click on the New Asset.
Choose Open in Explorer.

Here you will edit the config.txt file first to update the name and then you can edit the script.

In the config.txt file, change the username to reflect your own portal name, otherwise it'll be difficult to find in the asset list. Do not type anything outside of the double quotes ' " ', otherwise errors will occur when the asset is submitted.
Once you make this change, save the config.txt file and close it.
You can now edit the script (gs) in the text editor as well.

Good luck with that and respect the formatting.

Before submitting the asset, run PEV's Images2TGA to fix the textures.

Open up the. texture file and then use save as to generate the original .tga file. Repeat this for as many textures as you need to.

Once all this is done, you can now submit your asset. I recommend checking for faulty assets and if you're in luck, the asset will submit fine and you can use it.

To use the asset, unfortunately you'll have to replace any portals you have already created and repopulate them with all the consists and their driving commands you used in the original ones.

There was already an TGA file, and there were no .texture files on the cloned asset.

Good, that's one less thing to worry about.

This also means that you are using a portal from the DLS and not one of the built-in ones.

Would you mind posting the name and KUID of the portal asset you are using then?
Could you try one of the built-in ones to see if it works differently? This may actually save you time and effort if these work.

keep in mind that scripts have to operate in a real time environment. They are subject to the system time-outs if they try to process too long. This is mitigated with async calls, which you probably need to familiarize yourself with to proceed successfully. Searching through asset arrays takes time. It may not simply be a matter of adding larger ones.

Good, that's one less thing to worry about.

This also means that you are using a portal from the DLS and not one of the built-in ones.

Would you mind posting the name and KUID of the portal asset you are using then?
Could you try one of the built-in ones to see if it works differently? This may actually save you time and effort if these work.
I was using the re-rail portal basic, and then I used it on a basic ai metro route with ai trains.

I was using the re-rail portal basic, and then I used it on a basic ai metro route with ai trains.

That asset is build 3.4. You should test this route with the built-in Portal Basic. <kuid2:30501:22006:5> Portal Basic

This will eliminate the possibility that the issue is due to the extra code in the build 3.4 asset and also due to the portal asset not having any updates to bring the code in Build 4.6 if there are any changes. Before you make any kind of drastic changes, always clone you route and use that for testing just in case things don't work. I recommend opening your session and doing a save-as. You'll be given an option to create a new route as well as a session, saving you from the extra work of creating a session from scratch.

That asset is build 3.4. You should test this route with the built-in Portal Basic. <kuid2:30501:22006:5> Portal Basic

This will eliminate the possibility that the issue is due to the extra code in the build 3.4 asset and also due to the portal asset not having any updates to bring the code in Build 4.6 if there are any changes. Before you make any kind of drastic changes, always clone you route and use that for testing just in case things don't work. I recommend opening your session and doing a save-as. You'll be given an option to create a new route as well as a session, saving you from the extra work of creating a session from scratch.
I used the built-in Portal Basic, and when I got to the 49th consist, the same error message appeared :'(

I used the built-in Portal Basic, and when I got to the 49th consist, the same error message appeared :'(

That's good to know. This means you can then edit your cloned portal's script however you want. Good luck and let us know how it goes. You'll need assistance from others because I have zero experience with Trainz scripts.

Back