Pray for France

nathanmallard

Hi,
I don't usually post off topic posts like this but as you probably now know a truly horrible terrorist attack has occurred in the French capital, Paris. I offer my best wishes to the French people and of course the French users of this forum, hopefully the casualties will not be as high as is feared.
Vive la France!

For those who haven't heard. This evening there were 4 terrorist attacks at various locations around Paris, France.
1 shooting at a crowded restaurant
2 bombings near the a Paris football (soccer) stadium where President Hollande was attending a game against Germany.
1 Hostage situation at a Theater where a Death Metal concert was happening.

----

As of writing this, There is a confirmed 40 dead, reports of more - up to 60. There are at least 60 people being held at the Bataclan theater with reports of up to 100. Police just stormed the concert hall.

For live up dates from the BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-34815972

peter
(newspaper employee)

Last edited:
Update:

Hostage situation over.
100 executed by terrorists prior to police storming.

By the numbers.
140 - Current number of people reported dead
4 Separate attacks - a shooting at a Cambodian Restaurant, 2 suicide attacks (bombings) at the Stade de France stadium, 1 bombing at a near-by food establishment, 1 hostage execution (of 100 people) at the Bataclan theater.
1955 - The last time a nation-wide state of emergency was declared in France.
1500 Extra soldiers deployed to Paris.

French borders are closed. US, UK, UN, and others offer support. Most nations express condolences and condemn attackers.

Peter

The AP, AFP, Reuters, and BBC contributed to this report.

Clarification: Reports of the total number of dead, is still being updated. The confirmed minimum number is 120.

Last edited:
Hollande's response:
French President Francois Hollande said:
We wanted to be here among all those who saw these atrocious things, to say that we are going to fight and our fight will be merciless, because these terrorists that are capable of such atrocities need to know that they will be confronted by a France that is determined, unified and pulled together and a France that will not let itself be overawed even if today it is expressing an infinite amount of emotion at this drama and this tragedy, which was an abomination and a barbaric act.

Hundreds still in the Stade de France, including the French & German nat'l teams.

peter

I was in Paris last month for a week. Beautiful city, beautiful people. My heart goes out to them all

Sorry to hear France is once again under attack. Prayers goes out to the people suffering in France right now. :(

this is truly a sickening act that was carried out by some very sickening people who was responsible for this tragic incident, my thoughts and prayers go out to the people of France.

They are so creative: 9-1-1, Friday the 13th, what next ?

Many decades ago, when I was a kid, I overheard an old 65 y/o Italian neighbor saying: "Those Aye-Rabs are at it again" ... and I didn't understand what they were talking about, as I had no idea of current events ... but this type of thing has been going on almost a century, and is nothing new ... most here are too young to even remember all the atrocities in the 1900's. We had B&W TV, and it took days to get the news across the world ... Today we get news, seconds away from when it occurs, in streaming satellite vivid color

Last edited:
Today I'm a Frenchmen, I send all the support, and prayers to France . And hope that no one else goes thought the loss they suffered today

So many things I want to say. So many things that should be said, but most are not proper for this site or thread.

Be strong France. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

God Bless,

I really liked what amazon.com did - its really well done.
Says everything.

solidarite.jpg

(See http://amazon.com - the front page.)

My brother and his wife Leah are currently in Paris for their anniversary but they are safe and the hostage situation was less than two miles from the condo that their staying in for their anniversary

Thank God they are safe

A big tragedy :( .

I was scheduled to work in Paris last Friday. Never been so happy with a canceled assignment.

Back