Possible to share the TRS database between two versions?

james73

Stupid question here but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Is it possible to share the same TRS database between more than one edition, e.g. between TRS2019 and TRS2022? :unsure:

no that wont work. at best youd get a database repair every time you start, at worst, some files like routes may become non functional.

Maybe I've worded the question badly. I meant the downloaded content folder.

I know that when you install Trainz it creates a folder called:

C:\Users\James73\AppData\Local\N3V Games\Trainz 2019
C:\Users\James73\AppData\Local\N3V Games\Trainz 2022

But it's the downloaded content folder I want to know if you can share? You set the location for this in the launch window.

Trainz saves the assets you download from both DLS and third party sites in a compressed format called TZARC , an example of how it appears in your folders: kuid2 33404 502109 2.tzarc .
Both 2019 and 2022 save downloads in that format, but 2022 has implemented further compression in the format and thus a noticeable reduction in size.
Example of the compression size of the same object:

So I don't think Trainz 2019 can read the new compression system that 2022 has.

But it's the downloaded content folder I want to know if you can share? You set the location for this in the launch window.
That's the folders that I was referring to. The data folder. It's a more than just DLC. backups - caches - editing folder pls more.

The most important folders in Trainz are:

backups Assets deleted with the Content Organizer

editing Assets in open edition

local Assets modified or from third-party sites

original Assets downloaded from DLS

packages Packages Routes and paid content or DLC

Yes. You can compress and save your local folder from TRS 19 and import it into ‘22. I’ve done this over every game upgrade to save time on the hassle of trying to figure out which assets I’ve downloaded, etc. Make sure you’re ONLY copying the local folder. Don’t tinker with anything else otherwise chaos will ensue.

-A

No, you can not share because content may work in 19 but not in 22, and vice versa. Content is downloaded into the original folder and then in the local folder. Trainz then adds to or creates a database that the game reads. You can not have two versions of the same kuid number with a different version number to be used in one or the other Trainz versions. Your routes and sessions are also saved in these folders.

The simple answer is to duplicate the folder from TRS19.
Call the duplicate folder something else and then configure the install location for TRS22 and point it to the duplicate.

When you start, you'll need to run a DBR but your content will be there and you'll have to update stuff using the Content Store.

No, you can not share because content may work in 19 but not in 22, and vice versa. Content is downloaded into the original folder and then in the local folder. Trainz then adds to or creates a database that the game reads. You can not have two versions of the same kuid number with a different version number to be used in one or the other Trainz versions. Your routes and sessions are also saved in these folders.
I’ve copied my TRS19 local folder over to ‘22 and had zero issues.

Using a copy of the data folders is not the same as both programs sharing the data folders. The problem of the different formats of the .tzarc files has already be mentioned. Another problem are the .tdx files, which store important setting information of the program, in addition to keeping the index of the database.

Peter

It should not be forgotten that Trainz 2022 saves files downloaded and coming from CDPs with a hard disk space saving of about 43%. compared to 2019 and TANE.
If we move the folders from 2019 to 2022 we do not save hard disk space, it is only achieved by reinstalling CDPs or downloading again.

@acelejalde - He seems to be asking if he can SHARE the same folder with two apps. Not duplicate them. There is a big difference.
You can do that with the same program version but not two different program versions. The reason is due to the disparity between data files when the program versions are different and also between products.

At one time I used to share my content folder and connect to it via a network share using a full logical drive letter and not UNC. This worked okay to a point l when I wanted to use my laptop out on the deck or in the living room and not have to put content on CDPs and transfer. Since the remote program setup connected to the same database, there was no DBR required, but the issue I had was network speed with wireless being really slow at the time. After that, I decided to use built-in Windows Remote Desktop since I use Pro-versions of Windows on my PCs. This was much faster and did the same thing.

@acelejalde - He seems to be asking if he can SHARE the same folder with two apps. Not duplicate them. There is a big difference.
Ahhh okay. Then my apologies—something like that isn’t possible and would be disastrous. I figured he was only talking about moving the local folder that contains all the imported and downloaded assets.

Ahhh okay. Then my apologies—something like that isn’t possible and would be disastrous. I figured he was only talking about moving the local folder that contains all the imported and downloaded assets.
No need to apologize as I could be wrong. Only the OP knows for sure. I just wanted to point that out.

Back