Possible solution to the Dig Hole issue

jjslll54

Member since Nov 2001
Hi everyone,

I decided I needed a two track tunnel (I haven't used any in a very long time). I didn't like the regular ones because they are mostly lit up on the inside, so I decided to try a dig hole tunnel for the first time. I put my hole in the side of my hill and placed a portal and tunnel spline. I discovered when I lined up my track to run through tunnel the ballast was going upward like it was climbing and my track wouldn't go through the tunnel. I lowered the track height and was able to lay my track through the tunnel, but the spline points were up in the air as if the hillside was still there. I read a few threads on the forum to see if anyone else was having the same issue. I found one about flattening the terrain before using the dig hole. That didn't work. After fiddling around with the dig hole and doing experiments it dawned on me that the dig hole is categorized as a sit in place asset the same as a house. I noticed the dig hole I was using puts a red X underneath the hole. That red X is height adjustable. By lowering the height of the X my problem went away. I can now run the terrain tool up the side of the hill like normal. Hope this helps others with this issue. Happy Trainzing.

Jack

That's awesome! I have to give that a try as I've run into a number of those dig-hole issues on my routes.

Thanks, Jack!

John

Thanks, Dig Holes are not easy to work with at all, I only have a couple on my older TS-12's now when I go back to those layouts, I'll check your Red X tip. much appreciated sir.

Hi ,
I am in the process to recreate the Coffs Harbour to Grafton route which goes through a few tunnels just north-west of Coffs. The biggest problem I found with dig hole is to cover all those holes. Usually the boulders do a good job for the sides but for the ground I only found 1 AJS Terrain which is green . I don't know if any other texture exists which could be more suitable to place under the track at the entrance to the tunnel instead of this green one. I also found it easier to work in "wireframe" (F9) when placing tunnels. Much easier to control those levels when adjusting grounds
Cheers
Charles

Hi ,
I am in the process to recreate the Coffs Harbour to Grafton route which goes through a few tunnels just north-west of Coffs. The biggest problem I found with dig hole is to cover all those holes. Usually the boulders do a good job for the sides but for the ground I only found 1 AJS Terrain which is green . I don't know if any other texture exists which could be more suitable to place under the track at the entrance to the tunnel instead of this green one. I also found it easier to work in "wireframe" (F9) when placing tunnels. Much easier to control those levels when adjusting grounds
Cheers
Charles

I have replaced textures on grass splines with the same texture I use for ballast which gives me a ballast dig-hole cover under the tracks instead of grass, but I find the thicker YARN roads are better. I disabled the traffic and replaced the road texture with ballast, and I have a few versions with various ballast textures. I've done this with retaining walls and embankments as well as I replaced the grass with ballast, asphalt, and other suitable textures as needed so that the top is not always a nicely groomed lawn.

John

Back