Poll: What type of Driver are you?

Which system do you use when controlling your trains?

• Mostly in Cab mode

Votes: 82 32.4%
  • Mostly in DCC mode

Votes: 132 52.2%
  • Mostly using Driver Commands/Orders

Votes: 39 15.4%

• Total voters

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
Whilst many people love to spend their time creating content in Trainz, at some stage, almost everyone climbs into the cab to drive their favorite loco...or do they?

Please let us know which of these options best describes your Driving behavior in Trainz.

OK first, its pommie :wave:

Second, its cab mode only unless I am taking screenshots.

Third, Tony could you get one of the boys :hehe: to reset my profile as I cannot log on, and when I took my email off my profile it seems to have taken it right out of the system so I cannot request a temp password that way :(

Pommie 68196 pommietoo bigpond com

I sent the helpdesk a message a while ago but have had no response so far.

Cheers David

Cab mode with full physics (wheelslip & coupler stress) on.

Since I managed to learn cab mode driving I never returned to DCC.

Cab when down to serious simulation.

DCC for premeditated screenshots and/or messing about (testing) a route and the route's + my PC's ability to run quality rolling stock.

This poll has a more even spread (vs the other polls) at the time I posted - 33%, 41%, 26%

Last edited:
Yes, it's fairly even (with a slight tendency towards DCC)

I use cab mode 99% of the time, with full physics enabled. The other 1% of the time I'm either dispatching or just trying to get that perfect shot (and mostly the former).

Still learning how to optimize my steam loco operation, I'm pretty sure the mechanics at the repair shops are gonna lynch me if I don't learn fast! :p

Driving

I like to drive in cab mode when I am driving but my real interest is getting the AI to perform complicated moves. I sometimes end up with a string of 80 or 90 commands to get the AI to do one particular job.

Cheers,
Bill69

I drive in cab mode with Raildriver as it gives the feel of being a Train driver but the most frustrating thing is using the exceptional Australian, NSW locos from CWS only to have the experience spoiled by the locos having the standard generic cabs. It would be nice if the C class cab could be the basis for the 422 and 81 by recasting with large flat windows.( left hand drive) and something more modern for the 82, 90 and NR(with a display screen). Photos of Aus cabs can be found www.railpictures.net under all locos, Australian in seach.;)

Bob

I always use cab mode, It doesn't feel like a simulator using DCC. The steam engines are the best to drive IMO, lots more stuff to play with :)

I'm thinking of DCC mode.

Firstly because locomotives look prettier from the outside.

Secondly I have trouble making the locomotive go backwards because the other cab was locked.

Just kidding it really was that I don't know what hotkey I have to press to view from the other end of the locomotive.

thirdly: I don't know what hotkeys to drive a locomotive. At least not any more.

Cab Mode for me. Love to use every control. I havea RailDriver to so that adds more to the experiance.:D

But when I making videos I do DCC as it is just easier to control and start up.:p

Cheers,
Adam

Surprised DCC is winning.

If the purpose of all these polls is to gather information for the new developments can I add a plea that retaining realistic controls/physics is one area which absolutely must not be dumbed down, particularly if the product is to compete as a simulation. I'm one of many looking forward to the improved physics promised in TC3 and this aspect needs to be built on, not stepped back.

I'm not really surprised that DCC is winning, as the built-in interior cabs feature strongly across the board, and are used in quite a few different styles of locomotives, especially diesel ones. I've downloaded all the interiors from various diesels and electrics from North America, Europe and Australia to assist me in remembering how to operate each one separately. But as you may have the same cab for 6, 7 or 8 different types of loco, it's easy to remember how to drive them all, after taking a few driving lessons....:hehe: So, unless you have a desk mounted clipboard with every detailed cab interior printed on it, to assist in what switch and lever does what function, I'd bet many will opt for the easy option and choose DCC....
And yes, I'm a little suspicious why Tony H. has started 6 polls today on various features, something's up......:hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Back