Pbr textures causing the grid to climb the mountain side?

jjslll54

Member since Nov 2001
The video shows what I am asking about. Is this normal for pbr textures? Watch the left side of the screen as I move along. Unedited OBS video.
I like this rock face for my cliff side. It's Auran PBR Cliffs1 non seasonal. I hope this is fixable somehow. It shows in driver as well. It's not normal for a mountain wall to climb up like that as you pass. Maybe I could freeze that effect somehow in the config file or alter the PBR texture file by leaving out one of the parameters? Any ideas are welcome.

Jack

Jack,

The jellyfish guts effect is an issue with PBR textures. If you want to avoid the crawling jelly, you can lower your shader resolution in the performance settings to standard. This will allow you to use the PBR textures without the glassy effect on slopes and still be compatible with the older 2d textures where you use them. You do, however, lose the 3d-effect of your textures but that tradeoff is worth it in my opinion.

I'm not seeing this effect anymore when using HD. I am currently testing build 122127 and use the shader quality set to extreme. Maybe the issue is with certain textures but not others.

John. I have my shaders set to basic. I tried the new texture by GM, no change. As a further experiment I loaded up Sabino Lake Italy route with the 10 meter grid and did not have an issue with PBR textures and the climbing grid. I cloned the route and then converted to HD terrain and the problem started up again with the PBR textures used in the route, with no change by myself to the textures, the grid started climbing the side of the cliff as I moved along it. I'm thinking it has to do with the smaller grid size. I love the smaller grid size. Can do more detailed cliffs and hills. I especially like the fact I can ballast tracks without the large zig zag effect and keep it close to the tracks. Hopefully the final release will have this issue resolved. Paul, I am also running build 122127. If there is some kind of DEV report I can generate for experts to look at and maybe see if my issue is unique let me know how to do so and I will post it here. Thanks for all of your help. If nothing else, the experiment was fun to do.

Jack

Jack,

The jellyfish guts effect is an issue with PBR textures. If you want to avoid the crawling jelly, you can lower your shader resolution in the performance settings to standard. This will allow you to use the PBR textures without the glassy effect on slopes and still be compatible with the older 2d textures where you use them. You do, however, lose the 3d-effect of your textures but that tradeoff is worth it in my opinion.

If you need to disable the 3D effect of PBR textures, doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose of PBR textures, everywhere on the layout? It hardly seems like a trade-off.

If you need to disable the 3D effect of PBR textures, doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose of PBR textures, everywhere on the layout? It hardly seems like a trade-off.

With past versions I have basically disabled PBR by setting the shader setting to standard. With the HD version i decided to use the extreme setting. For me, at least, i find things look better with little adverse effect on frame rates. I have decided that if a particular texture is giving me problems I will simply replace it with another. I have converted 5 of my routes to HD terrain.But so far so good - nothing has needed to be replaced.

In and around little towns the limit of 16 textures has effected me in several places so I have to reshuffle some textures to get the effects I want.

I've raised the shaders to extreme and that seems to have done it. Standard worked as well. I think I understand a little better the effect the shader selection has. It explains why my curser circle would sometimes rise into thin air as if something was there I couldn't see. I have better control now. Thanks to everyone who responded. I believe my problem is resolved.

Jack

Back