Using PBR Textures and weirdness

coRioGrandeSouthern

Fan of Otto Mears
I have TRS2019 Version 111951 Installed.

I am not a graphic artist and I have no idea how to properly describe these anomalies, so bear with me please.

I prefer to model in 36" Narrow Gauge using locomotives and rolling stock from the late 1870s to 1925 era. I haven't found a 36" gauge procedural track, so I use Auran's "TRS19 Track 1 Procedural 30' gauge - Seasonal" (kuid2:661281:44200:1). (If anyone knows of a procedural rail gauged to 36", I would be grateful for that information.)

Now, to my "issue". I am slowly learning that the above rail works best with PBR Textures. If I use other textures (legacy?), the sides of the ballast for the rail shows black anomalies and/or the level of the ground is not always as expected, among other weird things going on. And I am noticing the presence of ghosting as I pan around some areas of ground, depending on the camera angle.

Snap_3Z7hbDxd6t726087369.jpg

The ground level will be fine, then suddenly there appears a dip.

Snap_jIQKvuGccj498725580.jpg

I model a branch line with ties embedded in the ground. I hope this picture is clear enough...
Left of the red line, ground level is what I want, then there appears to be a change in ground elevation to the right of the red line.

Snap_cGooUgE5Sq579005282.jpg

The roadbed will be fine then suddenly there is this black ballast, then things are corrected again down the track.

What am I doing wrong and how do I find more consistently compatible textures and rail and vegetation, etc.? Thank you for any help.

Apologies for being so verbose.

trainboi1 has a series of 36 inch gauge track of various weights and matching ballast made by both trainboi1 and pencil42 on the Download Station made for TRS19, so the ballast is PBR textures and the track is procedural.

Thank you, Jordan. I am downloading everything by trainboi1 and pencil42 to find a suitable procedural track.

If Creators would follow standards in naming their assets it would be very helpful.

The problem lies with the Jellytex "PBR" ground textures, try turning down the scale dial and re-apply under the track.

You get the same effect when you mix 'normal' textures with 'PBR' textures, they don't easily mix.

There are several threads about the subject in the forums.

Add "Protrack 42in" by higgikay to your list.

Using PBR ground textures is a learning curve and they do introduce a "dip" in the surface level (why I do not know). The best advice in these forums is to avoid painting PBR textures over existing non-PBR textures.

Add "Protrack 42in" by higgikay to your list.

Using PBR ground textures is a learning curve and they do introduce a "dip" in the surface level (why I do not know). The best advice in these forums is to avoid painting PBR textures over existing non-PBR textures.

I added Protrack 42in to my List, but what does that do? I model in 36" Gauge.

Due to "Pandemic Boredom" I have been watching a few YouTube videos on metric vs imperial measurements. The issue of fractional measurements (e.g 3/8th, 5/16th of an inch) crops up regularly as a major problem and cause of waste in the imperial system. The metric system is not without its issues either, such as using a mixture of different units (e.g. mm, cm and metre) for the same measurement.

Here in Oz the use of multiple units and decimal points is outlawed (literally) in the building and construction industries - all plan measurements have to be in millimetres, no centimetres or meters. So if a wall is 5.5 metres long it has to be written as 5500mm, not as 5.5m or 550cm. A track gauge of 4ft8.5in has to be written as 1435mm, not as 1.435m or 143.5cm.

The results, proven improvements in efficiency and less waste (due to fewer errors or misreading of plans).

Off topic...

I appreciate your comments, PWare. Converting from Millimeters to Centimeters and Meters is much simpler and easier and logical than converting Imperial Fractions and Inches and Feet and Yards. As well as understanding the political climate in the USA.

What I greatly dislike about my native country is the vehemence with which a large portion of my fellow citizenry are adamantly opposed to change of any sort. Social, political, etc. All one needs do to see this fact in practice, is compare CNN and Fox News Channels.

Nothing will improve or change in the near or long term future for the country and society I was born into. For all of what is transpiring here and what we have done to the world in pursuit of greed and power, I am ashamed to be an American.

Back