Passengers sunk in platforms

Forester1

Hi! I have been updating trees on the <kuid:506910:1052> a moment in time (uk route). My first test drive, I noticed that all of the passengers waiting on the platforms are sunk up to their chests in the platforms. I am using TRS19, build 117009, so it is probably the way things are handled now. I don't know if it is a property of the passenger set, or a property of the platforms, but the platforms look fine to me, I just don't think the passengers are elevated to stand on the top surface. Is there some way to fix this short of trying to elevate every single passenger at every platform on the route? Thanks for any tips!

When I first started out with TS2009 World Builder Edition I downloaded 'A Moment in Time' and ran trains all over it for dozens of hours. I've still got a much modified copy of it safely archived away. From memory the only way to deal with the platforms is to go around them one by one and adjust the passenger height. tedious I know, but that's the only way to do it.

Edit the attached mesh for the passengers (product) either both in config.txt or im editor program if the original proprietor allows you to modify or switch to AJS invisible stations (in the properties menu you can set the passenger height and shape of the platform template) depending on the height of the platform.

Thank you both! Ispdyiu, I will have a look, but it may be beyond my skillset. Ann, I have had fun doing some test runs after replacing the trees with rmm trees. Sometimes turning birches into oaks or maples, otherwise trying to stay true to the original species. It looks really up to date just with the modern trees!

Thank you both! Ispdyiu, I will have a look, but it may be beyond my skillset. Ann, I have had fun doing some test runs after replacing the trees with rmm trees. Sometimes turning birches into oaks or maples, otherwise trying to stay true to the original species. It looks really up to date just with the modern trees!

It's a really amazing layout Forester and I should really bring it through to TANE and change the trees as well. I don't know what it is, but the original builder managed to capture the appearance of a steam era English landscape so simply and so well. In the description he said he was going to build an extension to 'A Moment in Time', but for some unknown reason he never did.

If these are the old Andi06 invisible stations, the passenger height can be adjusted using the "?" in Surveyor to get to the parameters of the invisible stations. There is no need to adjust the height of each of the people individually and that would mess things up for other stations if that's done.

The station platforms losing the height information is a longtime issue and I remember encountering that back in the TS2009 days.

Thank you John, I will try to check that as well. Ann, I will post some shots of the route with rmm trees. I think you will be surprised! And a belated happy Valentines Day to you! (Do they do that in New Zealand?) :D

Thank you John, I will try to check that as well. Ann, I will post some shots of the route with rmm trees. I think you will be surprised! And a belated happy Valentines Day to you! (Do they do that in New Zealand?) :D

Thanks for the kind thought, but we don't really do Valentines Day here Forester.
I decided to download 'A Moment in Time' into TANE just for old times sake and I was surprised just how nice it looked. Most of the old billboard trees still look reasonably good, but I think rmm trees would be an improvement. So yes please I would like to see some screenshots.

John, - I can confirm that the stations with sunken passengers are AJS invisible stations.

Last edited:
The height of the passengers of the AJS stations is an adjustable property of these stations, and it is saved in the session data. Some (old) versions of Trainz did save an additional copy of the property with the route, but later versions probably don't recognize this data.

Peter

Thank you Peter! I hope to get some time to work on this today, so will see how it goes. I will report back.

Yes! I am able to raise the passenger height in the properties for the station! I will have to do it for each station, and the one I tried I typed in 1.15m. At 1.1m the shoes were still buried, and at 1.2m the platform turned white, but now I know how to work things. Thank you all! Below are some screenshots showing the rmm trees and one of a fixed platform, with apologies for complete ignorance of a proper British consist for the era, track directions, etc., etc.

Aday06.jpg

Aday05.jpg

Aday04.jpg

Aday03.jpg

Aday02.jpg

Aday01.jpg

Below are some screenshots showing the rmm trees and one of a fixed platform, with apologies for complete ignorance of a proper British consist for the era, track directions, etc., etc.

Hey, the point of it all is to have fun Forester. Nobody is going to call out the Historic British Railways Fidelity Police on you or anything. I spent so much time with this layout back when I was using TS2009 that I immediately know where each one of your screenshots was taken. The rmm trees do look good, but one of the things that is very noticeable when changing out trees on an old route like this one is that nobody has yet been able to effectively produce equivalent tree models to cover the wide range of billboard trees that were available back in the day. I will still use some of those old better quality tree models in TANE even now to create forests and stands of trees as distant background items.

Sadly, the Speed Trees will never really replace the quantity of old billboard trees. While the billboards are created by images placed in a star-like pattern, they have a certain thinness and randomness about them because they are made from actual photos of trees unlike the Speed Trees which are computer generated based on tree-like model structures. The issue I have with the Speed Trees is that they're too perfect. They're great for parks, gardens and streetside, or perhaps surrounding a grand estate where everything is perfectly trimmed. In real life, the wild areas along roads contain new growth and scraggly bushes, smaller trees, and other growth that can never be modeled correctly using Speed Trees.

The unfortunate thing is instead of allowing for the billboards to display properly in TRS19 and up, N3V appears to have purposefully broke them to force people to use the Speed Trees. Granted the Speed Trees do offer better performance due to how they render but there's that tradeoff between looks and performance. This all or nothing thing is also found with those awful PBR textures as well.

Yes, I was being just a bit tongue-in cheek with the comment about proper consists! :hehe: I noticed as I did these that I still had some billboards out there, so still more work to do. I agree about the equivalent models. I really had to sort through to find trees that I actually thought would look good, and even then, there are some with too many pokey dead branches sticking out. Some birches became oaks or maples, because what I considered good-looking birches were few, considering how many there are. And when it comes to evergreens, most look horrible to me, and some species like firs (abies), hemlocks (tsuga) and Douglas-fir (pseudotsuga) are missing entirely. Younger pines are generally too bright in color, and on and on and on. Older trees almost seem way too tall. Anyway, we each have to make it what we like. I myself do not like billboard trees at all, so that is my little peccadillo. I see them in screenshots and cringe, but again, that is my bit of OCD. Thank you for your comments, Ann!

Sadly, the Speed Trees will never really replace the quantity of old billboard trees. While the billboards are created by images placed in a star-like pattern, they have a certain thinness and randomness about them because they are made from actual photos of trees unlike the Speed Trees which are computer generated based on tree-like model structures.
Yes exactly that John. Many of the old billboard trees from TS2004 and TS2006 still look reasonably convincing when placed carefully at a distance in TANE. There's also the trick of placing the better types of Speedtree at the front of a stand of trees and filling in the area behind them with billboard trees.

This all or nothing thing is also found with those awful PBR textures as well.
Don't get me started on PBR textures that look the same as the badly mosaiced ones from the early days of Trainz, - only now they are badly mosaiced textures with 3D effects.

Anyway, we each have to make it what we like. I myself do not like billboard trees at all, so that is my little peccadillo. I see them in screenshots and cringe, but again, that is my bit of OCD. Thank you for your comments, Ann!
I don't like seeing splines of billboard shrubs placed close in to trackwork and anywhere within the normal visual distances from the footplate. They rarely look any good in the 64 bit versions of Trainz and if they must be used they need to be kept at a distance.

I do not know for sure if the answer to the question of the Passengers sunk into the Platforms has been answered here as I did not read the whole Thread.

What I had to do is open the .im file on that Station that had that sunken issue, and click the attachment points/Choose the a.passon or a.passoff edit points/change position option and raise the Passengers up with the 3rd to the right side numbers, and add to the height a few numbers at a time until the Passengers were on the Platform correctly.
You can also move them around with those other numbers.
It is time consuming when there are a lot of Passengers attached to the Station.

This can be done as long as there is the .im file option is available, trainz.mesh files are not editable.
This then will only affect that Station only, and will not change other Stations as they also most of the time have .im files.
Dave Snow Passenger Stations had this issue in a few of them and I corrected them and put them on the DLS.
This mostly was not the fault of the asset creator, it happens when the Passengers were made by other asset creators causing a height issue.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I do not know for sure if the answer to the question of the Passengers sunk into the Platforms has been answered here as I did not read the whole Thread.

What I had to do is open the .im file on that Station that had that sunken issue, and click the attachment points/Choose the a.passon or a.passoff edit points/change position option and raise the Passengers up with the 3rd to the right side numbers, and add to the height a few numbers at a time until the Passengers were on the Platform correctly.
You can also move them around with those other numbers.
It is time consuming when there are a lot of Passengers attached to the Station.

This can be done as long as there is the .im file option is available, trainz.mesh files are not editable.
This then will only affect that Station only, and will not change other Stations as they also most of the time have .im files.
Dave Snow Passenger Stations had this issue in a few of them and I corrected them and put them on the DLS.
This mostly was not the fault of the asset creator, it happens when the Passengers were made by other asset creators causing a height issue.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

That's too much work and won't work for packaged assets such as many of these stations.

The main issue is these are scripted invisible stations that can be placed on any surface including the ground or adjusted up for higher platforms. As Peter noted, it depends on if they were configured in the route or session. As you know, over the years N3V has changed where configurations are kept with assets. This was and still is an issue and plagued us with the TRC and ATLS crossings among many other industry assets. For the stations, it's now the session or is at least for now until something changes in the future.

The unfortunate part is these were created by Andi Smith, aka Andi06 who is sadly not with us, so there's little chance these assets will ever be updated unless someone has permission to do so.

Originally 'A Moment in Time' was built for TS2009 Build 3.1 so the AJS platform information would have been saved in the Route layer. Load this route into a later version of Trainz and suddenly all the passengers are up to their necks in tarmac. As John has said the only solution is to take a stroll around the whole layout (which will take a while) and configure the platforms one by one and save into the Sessions layer.

Back