Partially damaged route - can it be repaired somehow (TransDEM maybe)?

adamstan

Hello,

My friend is building pretty large route. He started it few years ago on TRS2004, but now works with TS2010. However, somewhere along the years the route got damaged in quite bizarre way. It causes heavy framerate drop in Surveyor (but works smoothly in Driver), despite not having many objects at all, and it always hangs Trainz on exit - both from Surveyor and Driver. It can be edited, saved, sessions can be made - but when you click "exit", game hangs. When this happens, Task manager shows that one core is used completely, and nothing happens. When I start blank route and try to merge, the merged route exhibits exactly same behaviour.

Can it be rescued somehow?

Sometimes small things like high poly: signals, track, switch levers, railcars and locos, trees, grass, building, as well as all splines, make for bad framerates.

Clone the route, and rename the config file username line tag to be a different name, save commit ... and start deleting things on the clone, to see what is affecting framerates.

Your performance settings may need to be turned down to near minimum settings, as if you have your draw distance set too high, it may be slowing framerates down

Last edited:
If the route was damaged, there could be some corrupted data somewhere causing the program to hang on exit. I've had this happen before and the only way around it was to replace one baseboard at a time until the problem went away. The good news is the new sections look a lot better than the originals did so it was a good thing in a disguise.

John

John - I went with your advice, and I think I've found faulty baseboard, as game hangs when I try to delete it. In my next try, I'll strip it of all objects and then delete - maybe it will work.

John - I went with your advice, and I think I've found faulty baseboard, as game hangs when I try to delete it. In my next try, I'll strip it of all objects and then delete - maybe it will work.

Good luck.

This is exactly the issue I had. I found I couldn't look directly at the baseboard, but could approach it from an angle.

John

After removing all objects in the area (by 'pasting' empty selection) I was able to delete problematic baseboards, and after that route behaves normally - it no longer hangs on exit. Thanks for your advices :)

Back