Paintshed Reskins - Please Help!!

Ralliart

Kiwirail
Hi all, why is it Paintshed will only let you reskin certain objects, and for the rest the option is grayed out? Is it something to do with the limited amount of templates available? Does anyone know of a simple, easy to use program that is capable of reskining locomotives/rolling stock etc?

Thanks for the link Trackplate, unfortunately though that post does not really help me out, as I have tryed the suggestion of editing in Paint Shop Pro, only trouble there is when you change a colour scheme, you lose all the textures on a Locomotive, ie the new paint color just takes over the whole area you've selected with no regard to weathering or anything else. Would be great to find a program similar to the Trainz Paint Shed but one that is able to open all objects so you can reskin them without losing the textures or detail on the object.

Thanks for the link Trackplate, unfortunately though that post does not really help me out, as I have tryed the suggestion of editing in Paint Shop Pro, only trouble there is when you change a colour scheme, you lose all the textures on a Locomotive, ie the new paint color just takes over the whole area you've selected with no regard to weathering or anything else. Would be great to find a program similar to the Trainz Paint Shed but one that is able to open all objects so you can reskin them without losing the textures or detail on the object.

Look for selection tool to just change part of the image, about the third icon down on the tool bar, under top menu adjust look for "hue and stauration" and "color". There are other things you can use as well.

Cheerio John

Thanks for the tip John, that works great. The only trouble I'm having now is that whatever changes I am making, for some reason they dont show on the loco when I view it in the Railyard. I'v followed the complete instructions on editing content as per "Euphod's" post. -See Below-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
{open CMP, and select it from the list. Right click on it and choose "edit with explorer". When the editing window opens, use the "up one level" symbol. Now you should see the single folder holding the object. Copy it and paste it to your desktop. Close the editing window(s) and again select the object from the list, right click on it and commit it. Reduce the CMP window if you wish.

Change whatever you need to in the object's folder on your desktop, ie: change the kuid to your own, replace whatever texture files you need to, make whatever other changes you want to in the config file, rename the files and folder if needed. Save your changes as asked, and close the folder.

Restore CMP and select "file" from the top, and scroll down to "import content". Scroll through the folder tree until you find the folder containing the object you have reskinned. Select it and import it. A window will alert you you have installed your new kuid. It must be commited now. If you can't locate it in the list, choose the "Open for editing" tab at the top. Right click you object and choose "commit" (if your setup isn't set to commit open items automatically upon startup).

Now you may view your reskin in Surveyor or Railyard.}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
In the object I'm editing "folder which contains 'body', there are two tga files which I can access with paint shop pro, I can change the colours etc, save it, and then I import it all to Trainz, but nothing has changed to the loco, but if I go back into the tga files I'v both edited (have tryed just one or the other as well) it shows the edit I'v done to the colors, yet this is not reflected on the loco when I go to view it in the Railyard after importing... what am I doing wrong??

Last edited:
When you saved the .tga file you did save it as uncompressed didn't you? Look in the options box.

In Trainzoptions.txt have you the line that says
-showkuids
then in surveyor you can check the kuid number to make sure you have the correct one.

Cheerio John

Hi John, yes have saved it as uncompressed. When I go into surveyor, the correct kuid number shows up (the one I renamed it to), but the loco is just exactly the same as the original kuid. Perhaps I am doing something wrong in the config file? The only thing I have done there is change the kuid number, and the username of the object. Also as mentioned the object I am trying to edit has two TGA files, both are the same size, one is called ge44_main08, the other is ge44_main_template, i'v changed paint schemes on both, save as uncompressed, the file size only changes by 1kb each. All the changes I'v made do not show up once its been imported & committed into CMP. Kuid Number I want to edit is <kuid:38304:19> (built in content). Which TGA should I be editing, and what else should I be changing in the config file?

Really Appreciate Your Help,

Andrew

Hi John, yes have saved it as uncompressed. When I go into surveyor, the correct kuid number shows up (the one I renamed it to), but the loco is just exactly the same as the original kuid. Perhaps I am doing something wrong in the config file? The only thing I have done there is change the kuid number, and the username of the object. Also as mentioned the object I am trying to edit has two TGA files, both are the same size, one is called ge44_main08, the other is ge44_main_template, i'v changed paint schemes on both, save as uncompressed, the file size only changes by 1kb each. All the changes I'v made do not show up once its been imported & committed into CMP. Kuid Number I want to edit is <kuid:38304:19> (built in content). Which TGA should I be editing, and what else should I be changing in the config file?

Really Appreciate Your Help,

Andrew

Zip it up, send it over and I'll have a look. Built in content sometimes cannot be reskinned, some items are just not reskin friendly.

jwhelan0112 gmail.com

Cheerio John

Back