Ordering Plus for someone else.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
I would like to order a copy of Plus for someone else and then pay for the subscription myself rather than pass the cost on to my friend.

I was thinking this is how it may work:

Create his account on My Trainz.
Order Plus.
Put my billing information into the payment screen.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

I think Trainz Plus is only a single user licence and cannot be purchased multiple times. It's the same rule applies purchasing games and DLCs on Steam and Epic Games. Only can purchase once unless you are purchasing the main game base for a friend as a gift.

You could purchase Trainz as a gift Steam ;)

Edit: You also cannot use the same credit card which you are using for your Trainz Plus membership, I think this falls under fraud blocking on your card and then you'll be in a world of hurt trying to clear things up with the bank

I think Trainz Plus is only a single user licence and cannot be purchased multiple times. It's the same rule applies purchasing games and DLCs on Steam and Epic Games. Only can purchase once unless you are purchasing the main game base for a friend as a gift.

You could purchase Trainz as a gift Steam ;)

Edit: You also cannot use the same credit card which you are using for your Trainz Plus membership, I think this falls under fraud blocking on your card and then you'll be in a world of hurt trying to clear things up with the bank
Maybe purchasing as a gift. Using the same purchase doesn't matter because I'm not using my credit card directly and I'm going through PayPal. This will be the same merchant but a different purchase altogether and this is not much different than purchasing the program then later going back and purchasing DLC.

I know that the program is a single-user license. This is why I was using his new account I created for him to purchase using my payment method.

John, your dilemma brings up a serious flaw in the N3V marketing strategy. There doesn't appear to be any methodology in place for this circumstance. Just how DOES one buy a gift subscription to any version of Trainz? Most retailers have figured it out, so should N3V.

Bill

Yes, that is exactly what I'm running into. As a current member, I can't just go to the store and buy the program for someone else. I'll send in a question to the helpdesk and see what Zec has to say about this.

I submitted the question to the helpdesk and I had a similar question years ago using their then new gift-card they had. The gift-card worked back then but that won't work for this since this is a totally different bag of worms.

Last edited:
Sorry I had misunderstood you there!

I think you may have something there. I'm thinking it could be possible to link your PayPal account with another Trainz account unless NV3's policy only allows 1 PayPal account to be linked with 1 Trainz account.. Anyway, see what the NV3 team says. They could best explain it ;)

Surely the answer is to use a gift card? They can be bought in multiples of $10 or you can gift a full product (scroll down the page).

Surely the answer is to use a gift card? They can be bought in multiples of $10 or you can gift a full product (scroll down the page).

Thank you for the suggestion. I got an email from Zec last night saying that at the present time they don't have a gift card for subscriptions and it is what it is.

I wonder if TRS22 PE would work for him...

Is TRS22 PE compatible with Plus?

If this will work, that'll be the way to go.

The only time the build numbers go different is with the beta versions due to N3V blocking the uploads of newer content. I'm not doing anything fancy with Plus anyway and I want to share some routes with him.

Do you mean transfer content between Trainz22PE and Trainz Plus installations? Most of it should work, but I cannot guarantee that none of it break slightly in the process.

Or do mean in the sense of having both installed on one machine? I would think so, but I`m even less sure of this than I am about sharing content.

Edit: I think I saw a post where someone said that installing Trainz Plus turned the resident Trainz22 installation (temporarily, for the duration of the subscription) into Trainz22PE.

Do you mean transfer content between Trainz22PE and Trainz Plus installations? Most of it should work, but I cannot guarantee that none of it break slightly in the process.

Or do mean in the sense of having both installed on one machine? I would think so, but I`m even less sure of this than I am about sharing content.

Edit: I think I saw a post where someone said that installing Trainz Plus turned the resident Trainz22 installation (temporarily, for the duration of the subscription) into Trainz22PE.
That would be two different people. My elder friend is located in NY State and I'm located in Mass.

On a local machine, a PE install will turn into a Trainz Plus install due to the software component access being account-based.

Mmm-hmm, so you`re definitely asking about sharing content. Most of it should transfer perfectly. Some of it is likely to drive ya stark raving bonkers!

Pretty much. If he can have my route and the freely available assets from the DLS or built-in, then he can work too on this route and other projects. I have a feeling once he gets the Trainz bug he'll be addicted. It happens.

Some people are already addicted and just don`t know it while others are totally immune to that bug. I`m one of the former, more-or-less, surrounded by the latter.

Actually, that`s pretty much the case with most everything I`m interested in.

You could purchase TRS22 and gift it to him via Steam, if your friend has Steam! I had gifted TRS22 to a friend on Steam, as I wanted to show appreciation for a 3d model he made :)

Back