One baseboard only...

magickmaker

What can you do in one single baseboard? Most would scream "not much" but I offer for you the following to consider.

The route which you see here, is a single baseboard.

497e7ed6f67e4d7de3e48d41c59755b1.jpg

1ef82ff93ad26c1dd92ddbeab729ec0b.jpg

bf1addf57cc21a54c02214bbad871eaa.jpg

60eec6960ff9c7f19b30d82429274929.jpg

e4b7651cbcc2ed76002fa287da013fcd.jpg

It's on the DLS as "OLM" Or Old Lucky Mill.

The route itself is interesting in that it's somewhat plausible. The idea is that back in the 1800's, coal was discovered in two large seams. The standard gauge line couldn't excatly reach it, without having to go through a long round about circuit. So the narrow gauge mine line was built. Using the "switchback" style they kept the grades reasonable, and could work the mine and bring loads down to the interchange. Over time, a small city grew up for the miners, linked by the stations. However, at the point the route exists it's the mid to late 20's. Trucks are now making their presence, and the construction of a pair of road bridges has pretty much done away with the need for the passenger service. There's sill some work, mostly minor held by a single combine (or in the photos a combine and coach.)

It won't be long, realistically speaking, before the mines start shipping loads out by truck, and thus the railroad is probably on its final days. More than likely in another five, maybe ten years the line will be abandoned, with trucking taking over the bulk of the work.

Last edited:
Looks really good......I have never ventured beyond a single board........I have made 4 single board layouts and there is more room to work with than you would imagine.

Back