Missing underground

jeff1959

Tonight, I noticed that under the "crust" of the baseboard, there is absolutely nothing. There is simply white space. The same white space you see where there are no baseboards. On older routes, you still see the ground extend downward. Is this a "feature" of TRS22 or 22+? I started a new route, and it was also not there. What's going on? (Scratches my head in confusion).

It is a feature of Trainz Plus. I am currently away from my computer which has TRS22PE installed so I cannot confirm if it is there as well (but from your post I would say that it is). I sometimes found that the "vertical cliff into nothingness" was an unnecessary distraction when in Driver mode and close to an edge.

That's only an unnecessary feature of HD Terrain. The regular 10 m and 5 m terrain doesn't have that.

Last edited:
Yep, you are correct. I created a new route to test this feature and found that the baseboard had no sides but I have just realized that new routes seem to be created automatically at HD resolution.

Ok, it's not really a problem. I just was surprised and wondered if I messed up a setting like I've done in the past. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

This is due to HD terrain being procedural terrain which has the ability to change its resolution based upon how far away the POV is from the terrain surface. Terrain close to the POV is high resolution while distant mountains are rendered at far lower resolution. This allows the performance impact to be pretty much the same as the 5 meter grid. The sides of the old grid was nothing more than an optical trick. The only part of the grid that had any meaning in 3D space was the top surface. Remember routes where the creator attempted to get around the limitations of where tunnel portals could be placed by using digholes to make an opening and then once the train entered your view was of open blue sky and the track splines the train was running on.

Yep, you are correct. I created a new route to test this feature and found that the baseboard had no sides but I have just realized that new routes seem to be created automatically at HD resolution.
Surveyor 2 will use the last type of terrain you used before when you chose to create a new route. You can change it to either 5 or 10 m grid by selecting the baseboard and using the context menu that the widget opens.

@jeff1959, are you referring to the vertical grid that used to appear at the edge of baseboards? It being not there would be a "feature", I would expect, but I have seen old assets from Back In The Day that could replace that wall with wooden benchwork that supposedly made the route look more like a model railroad. It would be nice, however, if they had made it an option, not simply removed it without telling anyone.

@jeff1959, are you referring to the vertical grid that used to appear at the edge of baseboards? It being not there would be a "feature", I would expect, but I have seen old assets from Back In The Day that could replace that wall with wooden benchwork that supposedly made the route look more like a model railroad. It would be nice, however, if they had made it an option, not simply removed it without telling anyone.
This is the side of a baseboard. In TS12 it used to be like a model railroad. In newer versions, it's layers of dirt and rocks. In HD Terrain, there is nothing and the ground floats in space.

Model railroad routes are made by squishing down the ground and then using splines to cover up the floor and walls to make things appear to be floor tiles and plywood.

Last edited:
Back