Nottinghamshire UK

Well, I think its finished! :) (I've said that before :rolleyes: )
Its now called Nottingham SW, from near Lenton Jcts (the A52 Clifton Boulevard bridge is just off the edge!) to just south of Ratcliffe Power Station, and to Long Eaton Station, and north to the Nottingham Road over- & under-bridges in Long Eaton (near Asda & Tescos:p )
Just need to add tracking view cameras and a splashscreen, then the DLS can have it :D
Then it'll be on to Nottingham Central...

I've built everything down to Firsby but all I have of the Skeg branch is a couple of miles to run around the Firsby curve so it looks okay. I've built the GNR route and the Mablethorpe Loop but as I have made it out to be a Preserved Railway I decided not to encroach onto National Metals.

Strange, I was over at Firsby this morning taking some photos of the station and the curve.

Mmm, seems I'm having problems with the forum, one minute my messages are there and the next they are gone. Sorry for the double posting.

I live between Louth and Mablethorpe just off the old main line - used to live near Chesterfield.

My layout? There is a certain amount of artistic licence in parts as I have built it as it is today but with a great deal of compulsory purchase:).

I've based the shed Close to Willoughby and the mainline links to Louth but I'm sure there will be some problems when I link to the Lincolnshire Wolds railway.

I'm working on the Bardney branch as time allows but in the mean time I'm looking to replace many of the building as and when suitable replacements become available.

Last edited:
Not really, since I started it I have found old photos of just about every square inch of the track bed and most of it I have walked but I was so eager to get something I could start to use I thought 'oh what the hell - it's just for me'. So I built it as is.

zzr1100
I'm working on the Bardney branch as time allows but in the mean time I'm looking to replace many of the building as and when suitable replacements become available.

If you go to Bardney to take photo`s, I can reccommend the ale in the Gypsy Queen ;)

Really? Funny you should mention that - just before going to Firsby I called in Spilsby at the Nelson for a pint!

Well, it's the best way to consolidate the research.:D

I will certainly try it.

Back in Nottinghamshire, and almost Derbyshire, I spotted this in RAIL magazine, which plopped through my door this morning
Toton goods line relaid
After many years lying out of use, Network Rail is now relaying the Down High Level goods line between Toton and Trowell Junction, Nottinghamshire. From Trowell northwards, the line continues as the Down Goods line and this is to be removed with the adjacent Up Goods line converted to bi-directional operation.
There is then a picture of 60046 William Wilberforce at Trowell on March 2nd.

One thing I'm slightly confused about is the term "Down High Level Goods line". This implies there is a "Low Level" as well. Is there?

As for my Trainz layout, I'm completely unaware of the names for individual lines (eg "Down High Level Goods"). Is there anyone out there who can help me label my lines correctly?
Thanks
David

To David Bird
There is a number 2 down goods line which extends from just North of the old Long Eaton station (not Sawley junction now renamed Long Eaton) through to Stanton Gate where it joins the Down Main.
The Down high level good was called so because it ran at a higher level from Ratcliffe jcn through Toton jcn (near what is now the Asda site) to Stanton gate where it becomes the down goods.
At one time the down goods had connections in sth-nth direction from Toton to Stanton Gate new sidings, Bennerley opencast site, Langley Mill sidings (for Moorgreen pit), Codnor Park sidings, Pye Hill colliery.

The reason for the singling and bi-di working is due to the re-signalling of the Erewash Valley lines in preparation for the new signalling centre being built at Derby which will control most of the old power box areas (Derby,Trent etc)
There are many other alterations to come also including the restoration of 2 line junctions at Trent jcn from Sheet stores jcn and possibly off the Erewash valley (both a constant bottleneck)

Also the 2 Down goods extended beyond Stanton Gate and Trowell jcn at least to the Frys warehouse beyond Trowell jcn at one time in the 1970's we used to store wagons on it from Stanton Gate northwards.

The up high level goods line starts at Toton jcn through to Ratcliffe jcn where it becomes the up goods line !!

Last edited:
To David Bird
There is a number 2 down goods line which extends from just North of the old Long Eaton station (not Sawley junction now renamed Long Eaton) through to Stanton Gate where it joins the Down Main.
The Down high level good was called so because it ran at a higher level from Ratcliffe jcn through Toton jcn (near what is now the Asda site) to Stanton gate where it becomes the down goods.
Didn't realise the "High Level" designation continued that far north
At one time the down goods had connections in sth-nth direction from Toton to Stanton Gate new sidings, Bennerley opencast site,
remember watching - and hearing - a pair of 20s shunting vac-braked hoppers into Bennerley
Langley Mill sidings (for Moorgreen pit),
where an Uncle of mine worked as engine driver - the only family actually working on the railway
Codnor Park sidings, Pye Hill colliery.

The reason for the singling and bi-di working is due to the re-signalling of the Erewash Valley lines in preparation for the new signalling centre being built at Derby which will control most of the old power box areas (Derby,Trent etc)
There are many other alterations to come also including the restoration of 2 line junctions at Trent jcn from Sheet stores jcn and possibly off the Erewash valley (both a constant bottleneck)
I remember the connection being a short stretch of 4-track, with ladder crossovers between all tracks. PlanningPortal track diagrams and the aerial photos of local.live show that the lines from Erewash Valley and SheetStores join into a 3-track stretch. Is my memory wrong, or has that been changed since early 80s?
Also the 2 Down goods extended beyond Stanton Gate and Trowell jcn at least to the Frys warehouse beyond Trowell jcn at one time in the 1970's we used to store wagons on it from Stanton Gate northwards.
Well remember the seemingly endless line of rusting mineral wagons seen from driving over the roadbridge at Trowell on the way to visit grandparents in Ilkeston - took me a while (as a small boy) to realise why there was always a train just there, but I never saw the engine pulling it!
The up high level goods line starts at Toton jcn through to Ratcliffe jcn where it becomes the up goods line !!
Many thanks Steviez, just the sort of info I was needing - now to rename most of my trackmarks!!

Thanks for that David
now just to cloud matters a little there is also the "independant" line at Toton which extends from Toton Old Bank sidings through to the old Toton West Yard and was bi-directional and ran to the left (Chilwell) side of the up goods, this enabled the Old Bank to be shunted independant of the up goods line and it also had one end of a huge ladder crossing which ran right across all lines towards the 2nd down goods this ladder was used by all locos off Toton Depot going south of Stapleford and Sandiacre box.
One error crept into last nights diatribe. the connection off the Erewash valley has always been 2 track its the connection from Sheet Stores jcn which is 2 track to Trent East (outside the Power box) then is 1 track connection only onto the down main, therefore a Nottingham-Derby train on the up main has to wait if there is a Derby-Nottingham train coming round from Sheet Stores. this is to be re-modelled as i stated.
It could have been me putting those wagons away at Bennerley !! incidentally the layout at Bennerley was re-modelled in the 1980's to enable direct access into the sidings without having to use a ground frame and do a "w" shaped move to get into the sidings.
We also ued to go into Langley Mill sidings which had a resident shunting person and the colliery engine usually a class 10 (08 lookalike in green livery called Jason if my memory serves me right) ) used to bring wagons down from the colliery.
Pye hill colliery and sidings was at that time (mid 70's) shunted by a class 03 (carrying a pre T.O.P.S number again in green)

Any more you would like to know ? i will try and explain

Also the above might be useful to Dave (Escafeld) lol!!

Sorry, Steviez, if I'm being a bit thick, but I'm not following your comments about connections at Trent East Jct. The way I remember it is like this, 1&2 to SheetStores Jct, 3&4 to Trent Sth, 5&6 to Long Eaton Town and Toton Jct, and 7&8 to Attenbr Jct and Nottingham, and 9&10 the loop lines. (Apologies for the rough diagram!)

1_________________5````.__________.
2____\_______/____6``_______\_____10
3______\___/________/_____________7
4____/_______\____________________8
````\____________________________9

According to the aerial photos, its now like this

1____````````_____5````.__________.
2____\_______/____6``_______\_____10
3______\___/________/_____________7
4____/_______\____________________8
````\____________________________9

Was it really like the first diagram, or is my memory wrong?

I was on a train from Derby once, and we were held at the signal (in position 1 on my diagram). The driver must have been a bit slow in phoning in and the signal cleared, without its feather. We set off and were actually over the junction when the driver must have realised the route was wrong. A sudden stop, then he phoned in, though the signal was clear. We set off again, to Toton Jct, then reversed and ran via Meadow Lane Jct and Attenborough Jct to gain the main line to Nottingham.

Incidentally, Steviez, can you confirm the names of the individual lines on my diagram ( ie Up Main, Down Goods, or whatever) and also what are the lines between the Up and Down Main (is that right?) at Attenborough Junction, and the Up and Down High Level Goods (I now know that is right!)at Meadow Lane Jct? and where does Up change to Down in the triangular arrangement here and between Trent E and SheetStores?

Sorry for so many questions, but I know I can get an answer! Thanks in advance
David

Just back from a visit down south. Unfortunately not much railway research carried out, but enough by chance to show that I've got one bridge totally wrong, missed out a signalbox and got a signal with the wrong feathers! Putting those right and trying to get a html file sorted for the info button on the splashscreen just now.
Also had contact with the group doing the ECML project. It seems as if one of that group is intending to do Newark to Nottingham - we may be meeting up! (In terms of Trainz layouts, not another journey south!)

Back