Nottinghamshire UK

Nottinghamshire Archives, on http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives.htm have just sent me a CD-ROM with scans of selections of old maps of Nottingham. This is just a sample of the 1955 1:2500 plan of the area of Castle Meadow, where the IR offices (and the Archives offices) are now situated.

meadows1955gf4.jpg

interesting to compare this with the map Escafeld posted back on page 1,
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ld01/MAP03.jpg (Do you know what date that was, Dave?)
There's a few changes...
The Archives charge £5.80 for an high-res A3 scan on CD, and £1.80 for P&P per order. If there is any area you need a plan of but can't get any other (free!) way, email them!

When I've got Ratcliffe PS completed, I think I'll send what I have to the DLS for release as it is, unless anybody else lets me know of any more errors (thanks Steviez!). Then it'll be on to central Nottingham as a separate, but mergable, section...

David

Very good map David, especially as it has grid lines, unlike those of mine. I'm sorry, there are no references to the dates of the maps anywhere in the book, 'Scenes From The Past:11' - 'Railways In And Around Nottingham'. A bit frustrating that.

Well I need to get a 50s/60s period map of Toton and Trent Station/junction, as I am stuck fast with both areas. I have similar trouble at Derby, but that's what you get working in the past. Fortunately there are helpful people out there, such as yourself and Steviez and it comes together eventually.

You'll find it so much better being able to drop those maps onto basemaps. I've just spent a day in Planning Portal stitching screen grabbed maps together. Oh what fun LOL. I don't know if you have any basemaps or know how to use them, but let me know if you have a problem.

Seeya later.
Dave

There's 3 more railways I never knew about at all
Scroll down 5 or 6 and across right 2. There are tramways shown, around Barton, Thrumpton and Kingston to the Trent and Soar.
A bit of searching found that they are tramways for transporting gypsum from drift mines in the Gotham hills (GC/LNER branch built to Gotham itself) to the River Trent. Then transported on barges to (amongst other places) the Sheet Stores (as in Sheet Stores Junction).
Beyond that, no details at all...

Yes Dave, it's amazing what you can pick up on when you look around. Have you ever looked at the railways through www.old-maps.co.uk. Go slowly with moving around, if you don't let it refresh it freezes.

Seeya, Dave

Well, I've given in to temptation, and Purchsed Perchpole's Payware Peak!
I know it's a 46 rather than a 45, but...
peakmk2sts0.jpg

Sure looks good on your layout. I'm waiting for him to do a 45. I think he will eventually. The spur off to the right, I can't find it on the 60s OS map, had that gone by then or was it just not shown.

Dave

Dave
that connection was certainly still there into the 1970's,
trains still ran with M.O.D stock into Chilwell worked by Nottingham men
And the notorious bridge over that connection was still there (the old A453) as i had a VERY close encounter with a Barton bus on that very bridge.
Trains usually consisted of "warflats" loaded with tanks and VDA vans if my memory serves me right

The spur off to the right is the spur to the Central Ordnance Depot at Chilwell. A main supply depot for the Army. It was built in 1914 as a munitions factory, the site was chosen because of availability of land, workforce and a railway. In 1918 a huge explosion killed 134 people. In 1919 the munitions factory was closed, but the site was developed as a supply depot for the Army.
The supply depot was finally closed, the rail tracks lifted and the area redeveloped in the late 80s, though the rail connection closed in early 80s. I do remember it being used, with class 25s
Map of the area, which I've used for my layout... email me if you want a high-res version...
depotmapyf1.jpg

Just to add to the above diatribe from me !!

Chilwell depot was still into the mid 70's at least run by R.E.M.E. and was also responsible for the records of All army vehicles.
in the 1980's it was taken over by the United States who used it to store military equipment which all came in and departed by road. I at that time lived a few hundred yards from the depot, during the miners strike it was also used as a base for the police from every county in the UK who were manning the barriers at pit entrances.
The site of the lefthand siding in Davids picture above is now the site of the new road between the A6005 (exA453) road and Tesco's supermarket

I'd forgotten all about the Americans taking over. I was still at school then, it was the height of Greenham Common protests, CND, etc. and the rumours were that Chilwell was going to be a cruise missile base!... I left for university soon after that, and was in the North-east during the miners strike...
The only picture I've been able to find is this, from the road bridge (must get a Barton's Bus to put on the bridge!)
http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/cg...www.picturethepast.org.uk/jpgh/NCCS001548.jpg

Elsewhere in their catalogue is a photo of "The last lorry-load of stores leaving for COD Bicester" dated 16th July 1981, so that dates the closure of COD Chilwell, and its takover by the Americans. It was a Freightliner lorry, but by then there was no rail connection left...

Thanks for that David
The sidings on the second from right led to the engine shed (the brick built building)
And in the foreground was the M.O.D shunters block

Oh happy days

Back